Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-08 02:04:30

Lindy Lou

Cheese Making Supplies

I've been looking for somewhere that sells cheese making supplies. So far all I can find is Glengarry. does anyone know of anywhere more local to me?

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-03-08 02:04:30

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-08 02:43:58

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Cheese Making Supplies

Berry Hill does don't they?    I got mine from Steve Shapson in Chicago, the Cheesemaker!   He has some nice kits, I'd still like to make blue cheese or Brie.  I'd consider anyone in the same province close! :snowman:

#3 2012-03-08 11:57:34

Flat Rock Farm

That would be my suggestion as well Berryhill.

#4 2012-03-08 13:31:54

Lindy Lou

Thanks guys I did check out Berryhill and they do have supplies. however they are more expensive than Glengarry

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#5 2012-03-30 16:33:00

Lindy Lou

Okay got my cheese making supplies. I intend to try my hand at Farmhouse Cheddar this week-end. Can't finding a supply of fresh cow's milk so I'll have to use 3%. I have priced out goats milk, wow is that stuff expensive. I have managed to find a supply of sheeps milk but now I'm having trouble finding recipes for sheep milk cheese. Anybody got a recipe or can point me in the right direction.
I quite excited about trying this cheese making which is funny cause I don't eat cheese!!

#6 2012-03-30 19:57:34

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

How exciting.  I hope it goes well. 

Do you have big stock pans, one that will fit inside another for the water bath? 

And do you have any calcium carbonate? I think you are supposed to use it with homo milk as the homogenization does something to the fat globules, breaks them up. 
I don't have any here, but it may affect things.  Check your recipe book and it could easily be in your kit already too. 

Just wanted to make sure you were all set before you really got started.  =D

#7 2012-03-30 20:28:18

Lindy Lou

I'm going to put my large saucepan inside my large canning pot although the recipe says to put your saucepan in the sink and raise the temp by adding hot water. that sounds a bit slow to me.
Included in my kit was  calcium chloride, the only thing that was backordered was the cheese wax which I don't need just yet. I'll let you know how it turns out

#8 2012-03-30 22:36:50

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I did mine on the stove, it's supposed to be really slow though, it took about an hour to an hour and a half to get 3 gallons of milk up to temp here if I remember rightly.  Cheddar and Mozzarella took about 4-5 hours all together with pressing.

Adverts

Board footer