Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-26 21:42:29

NaturesPace
Website

3 week old bully - advice needed

I have 16, three week olds in the brooder. I think I have a bully. He is an Easter egger with a big pink comb already. Lets call him Bully. Oh I also heard him "crow", if a three week old can crow.
One of my Orpingtons, last week, had a red, plucked bare neck. I sprayed some Blu Kote on it and he seems to be fine now. Victim #1.
The newest victim is another Easter Egger. I think he is another male, because it's comb area is also pink, but the comb is not as big. Well, Bully, is picking on him so much that he is constantly running away and looks scared all the time. I picked him up and he seems fine, no blood or scabs, but should I continue to let this happen or should I remove Bully?

Here is what I am thinking... Take Bully and maybe two other males and keep the separate.

Any other ideas?

I was also thinking of putting him on Craigslist, but I would want a few to go together, at this age and I'm not positive who else is male and which ones we aren't going to keep.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-03-26 21:42:29

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-26 23:19:56

gubi
Website

Re: 3 week old bully - advice needed

remove the bully permanently :chairhide:  If he's trouble at that age he will be trouble when he gets older and if you sell him he'll be trouble for someone else.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-03-26 23:41:04

Susan
Administrator

Sad, but true.

#4 2012-03-26 23:57:41

ipf

How crowded are they?
I'd hate to condemn someone on the basis of behaviour at 3 weeks, although it would probably turn out to be justified in this case. . .

#5 2012-03-27 00:22:48

NaturesPace
Website

They are in a pen that is 18 sq feet, so that's over 1 sq ft a bird. I think that they are ok. They have roosts too.

So remove him permanently... Means call uncle Vito to fit him for concrete shoes?

#6 2012-03-27 00:23:38

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

I have to agree, he needs to be removed.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#7 2012-03-27 00:24:44

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Uncle Vito........too funny.  Yep, you got the picture!  ;)

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#8 2012-03-27 00:28:07

Maggiesdad

NP I hung several babycakes (at different times!) in the brooder to keep them occupied until I could provide larger accommodations... they are expensive, but they worked really well.

http://www.shanestack.com/shop/shop_ima … 120913.jpg

#9 2012-03-27 00:31:20

Maggiesdad

But these were EOs, too, which are the most awesome chickens evar!  =D

#10 2012-03-27 01:26:08

NaturesPace
Website

I have 3 males in a different box at the moment.
Thanks everyone. I know what needs to be done.

Drop him off at lindy lou's. :funny:

#11 2012-03-27 01:40:52

Maggiesdad

:happycrowd"

#12 2012-03-27 02:14:05

Lindy Lou

Aw you guys are too funny. I'll take him if you can get him here. :Canada:
Oh and by the way when I first read your post I thought you were talking about a Bully as in Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Well me and Greg are here to tell you they are a misunderstood breed too along with other dominant breeds like EO roosters.
So Run Rooster Run. :funny:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-03-27 02:26:51)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#13 2012-03-27 20:53:20

NaturesPace
Website

OK, so it needs to be done. I just tried him back with the others and he is still picking on others, A LOT.

I just don't know what method to use to do this. It will be my first. Any ideas?

#14 2012-03-28 00:44:32

Flat Rock Farm

naturespace wrote:

I have 3 males in a different box at the moment.
Thanks everyone. I know what needs to be done.

Drop him off at lindy lou's. :funny:

Hey NS I like your thinking, sorry Lynn :funny:

#15 2012-03-28 01:42:47

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Aww NS, sorry it's  a tough one, for me the decision to dispatch comes down to can it have a normal life in the flock, and can the flock have a normal life with it. 

There is a link to the ACE forum, a good thread on it. 

For a young birds under 4 weeks, I personally would take a warm bucket of water, chick temperature, and just hold it right under.  There are gas chamber type setups that are supposed to be instant, but the drowning is relatively fast for day old and  ill be a little longer for a 3 week old, and doesn't require any special equipment.  Others use secateurs or PVC pip cutters too and say it's fast.  (We've used the PVC pipe cutters on adults)

http://albertachickensetc.punbb-hosting … 37&p=1

I had a box of 50 Easter Eggers from McMurrays in 2009 and we had one pecking at eyes.  I separated it for a few hours and put it back to see if it went back to doing it and it had pecked three by the time I got hold of it again. Shame it had traveled all that way to have an end put to it, but I couldn't leave it harming the others like that.  I thought it was going to pull their eyes out.  Two of them had funny looking eyes as adults, one I think was blind in one eye.

Anyway, it is said but I agree it's for the good of the whole flock.  Hope it goes OK.

#16 2012-03-28 02:34:02

Maggiesdad

Oh my - that EE must have had a taste for

wait for it...

EYE CANDY!  :hi:

Keep yer chin up, NP, we're rooting for you. :hug:

#17 2012-03-28 12:42:14

Lisa

Oh Glen..... Where is the GROAN smilie????    :sick:    will have to do.

NS - sorry to hear about this. I've had to put down week old's that had bad legs that never healed. Garden shears do the job (messy) but I think I like Claire's idea better.

Last edited by Lisa (2012-03-28 12:42:51)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#18 2012-03-29 21:44:22

NaturesPace
Website

well, he spent a few days in a different brooder with one of the other little roos. I don't think he is going to change with the little flock, but now he is part of the older EO flock. They are 5 weeks older, but they seem to be accepting him in their cage, so i'll try that out for awhile. 

We are a bunch of 'chickens' over here. :chook: hahaha!

#19 2012-03-29 22:45:24

Lindy Lou

No chickens just compassionate hearts. It's a very good idea to try him in with an older bunch. He will be lower down the pecking order and that should keep his dominance in check. If he continues to behave great, if not bring him with you when you come to Canada and another chicken heart will take him :hug:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#20 2012-03-29 22:48:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I am glad it is working.  Just keep an eye on him as he gets older, he may revert to that when he is the same size as the others.  Keep us posted!

#21 2012-03-29 22:49:17

Flat Rock Farm

Maggiesdad wrote:

Oh my - that EE must have had a taste for

wait for it...

EYE CANDY!  :hi:

Keep yer chin up, NP, we're rooting for you. :hug:

:funny: Your bad!!!!

#22 2012-03-29 23:03:45

NaturesPace
Website

At this point i just want him to get big enough to have a nice life and maybe find a home at someone else's home or freezer camp. Too many roos over here. He is going to be very handsome too. Blue with copper. He is an EE ,Blue Copper Marans cross with pea comb and feathered legs. It's the Olive egger recipe.
Do you guys think that Marans are more aggressive? just wondering.

#23 2012-03-29 23:24:04

ipf

Well, maybe they are, at least towards other chooks.  We had some BC Marans roos last year; they were unpleasant. No finesse, just "I want sex NOW", and used force to get it. We gave one away, hatched some chicks from the others, and then consigned them to the freezer. Neither decorative nor nice, IMO.

For agression towards people, though, the worst we've had were a Barred Rock and a Rhode Island Red. Gorgeous birds, but both went for me every time I went out the door.

Best roos so far have been Welsummers - gorgeous, gentle, chivalrous, attentive, protective and (ahem) virile.

#24 2012-03-29 23:27:55

NaturesPace
Website

Thats good to hear about the welsummers. I have one of those too. Haha!

#25 2012-03-30 02:06:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The roughest rooster we ever had was a BCM too.  Couldn't keep him with the other boys and he was so rough with the hens, we harvested him right out of the breeding pen one day.  :shock:   The Cuckoo are the exact opposite.  Along with the wheaten Ameraucanas, wusses that run for the hills!

Other virile boys are the Black Penedesencas, EOs, the ones rough and virile too are the Easter Eggers and the fighters here were barred rocks, bantam cochins and partridge Chanteclers.  There are always some individuals worse or stronger than others, but we have definitely seen trends within breeds especially within strains too.

Adverts

Board footer