Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-22 03:13:40

Island Girl

So about those darn mites!!

Well I decided to check my roos bums about a week ago because they were looking poopy. Egads, it was a blasted mite infestation. I thought I was a good chicken mama but by the looks of the little sores on the roo bottoms they have obviously been there awhile. :duh: So what to do?? I remember Susan's icky infestation with those darn swallows in her barn. So I started with Sevin powder and then checked in a day, nope still there! Then I did the pour on Noromectin, I think it is. Again checked in a day, much better but still not gone. So I had previously heard about this Zodiak stuff and  went off to the pet store and paid way too much $ for a spray on, a shampoo and a surface spray too. I used the topical spray first and I'm telling you this stuff killed those mites on contact. It is a flea and tick killer for cats and dogs. I waited til the next day to recheck them and they were still mite free. Even thought I had not cleaned up the coop yet. Then I washed their butts with the flea shampoo and toweled them off. In they came overnight to dry off. The bums look pretty good, nice and fluffy no creepy crawlies! I used the spray on the pullets too as they did have a little speck or two crawling about as well so I wanted to nip it in the butt :whistle: pun intended!! I know that I need to clean out the coop and spray the nest boxes etc but I just had to do something with the boys to get rid of the load on them. I will list the proper ingredients and names of the products in case anyone wants to try it.

Sevin dust (Wilson)...  carbaryl 5.0%

Zodiak flea & Tick Spray for Dogs & Cats .......(S) Methoprene .....................................0.27%    *This product does say its toxic to birds :huh: but I did read
                                                                             Piperonyl Butoxide Technical ..................0.37%     on a forum that it could be used on chickens. *** Also label 
$22.99 for 475 mls                                                  Pyrethrins .............................................0.20%     says it offers 2 months protection (I did wash it off the next
                                                                             N-Octyl Bicycloheptene Dicarboximide .....0.62%     day)

Zodiak Flea & Tick Shampoo for Dogs & Cats ...... Pyrethrins .....................0.05%
                                                                                  Piperonyl Butoxide .........0.5%

Zodiak Premise 1000 Flea Spray .........................(S) Methoprene ..............0.078%
                                                                                  Permethrin ....................0.800%

$18.99 for 227gm can treats 1000sqft

XOX Monika

2012-03-22 03:13:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-22 11:29:44

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: So about those darn mites!!

Great Info Monika, I am going to sticky this.  We are fighting lice here.  I dust them, with the cabaryl, and it seems to help for a bit,  but I think it's this mild winter, and the temp changes, it seems to come and go. I can't wait til they are all outside and I can get everything cleaned properly in the barn.  We have sparrows in and out of there, so it's impossible to stay on top of.  We do the ash boxes with or without Diotomacious earth and sulphur, and I put dio all over the shavings and nest boxes and roosts.

The Zodiac sounds nasty, but effective and may save the life of a severely affected bird if you have the get the parasites gone before any more blood loss.  It might be the answer for the coops themselves.

#3 2012-03-22 13:11:17

Lisa

Monika,

Sorry to hear you are battling mites - you are so not alone! :)

I found out about something last year that might help - it's a product called Frontline Spray.

Bottle says "Fast-acting, long-lasting, waterproof treatment and control of fleas, ticks and chewing lice. For Dogs, Puppies, Cats and Kittens. Active ingredient fipronil: 0.29%"

I got mine from Cutler Poultry supply - and it was not cheap! I think it cost about $40 for 250 ml. But boy did it work! One spray on the vent, twice (one per week) - no more mites.

I found out about this from a really experienced poultry guy in my area who is not concerned about the whole "organic" thing. He explained to me that with many mite treatments (including de, which was my first choice), some of the mites just go inside the bird's vent and then come out again. In his opinion, frontline is the most effective treatment for killing the wretches, inside and out.

The other thing I've read about is using a combo of linseed oil and kerosene (2:1) and brushing the perches with it to kill any mites lurking in corners. Haven't tried it yet, but bought some at the hardware store the other day.

Best of luck in your clean-out!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#4 2012-03-22 13:30:15

pops coops
Website

I have a rubbermaid container with 50% sand and 50% Diatom powder for them to dust bath in, it helps lots, but I have found for me the best way fo me to get rid of them is Ivomec injectible in the water, kills internal and external parasites I us 4 to 6 cc per gallong of water twice a year.  I have to many birds to be able to do them one at a time, the buildings and nest boxes are dusted with the Diatom powder 4 or 5 times a year.

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#5 2012-03-22 14:55:35

poplar girl
Administrator

I use Eprinex. It is similar to Ivemectin but is registered for use on dairy cows with no withdrawal time on consumption of milk so milder or maybe just less residual. I drip it on their skin at the back of the neck with a syringe then repeat in about 2-3 weeks. It has killed both mites and lice on chooks for me. It does take a few days to kill them though as the bugs have to eat the medicine to die. Also kills most internal parasites although I know it will not kill gapeworm. I bought it from Cutler Supply as well.

I hate creepy crawlies and you have reminded me after being away 2 weeks I need to check my birds....

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-03-22 15:37:00

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

This whole thread has me itching.... :shock:

#7 2012-03-22 16:36:25

Island Girl

We need a creepy crawlie smilie, lol. pg, I keep hearing about Eprinex and that the withdrawal time is better than other pour on meds. I thought I tried to get some one time but could not without a vet prescription or something like that. Lisa, frontline sounds good too I will check to see if I can find a website for Cutler. Sounds like stuff  that I should have in my arsenal. The only thing that freaks me out with the Zodiak stuff is as I was washing the chicken bums outside at our hot/cold water tap, I noticed that earthworms were surfacing and were dying where the suds were landing. I imagine that any of our bug killer products would do this if poured on the ground ... but it did make me hesitate for a moment. Then I thought of the ugly scabs on my roos butts and continued!! I am excited about using the Zodiac surface spray stuff, should quite effective in the nest boxes and perches etc. It is a very fine mist so it should get into nooks and crannies. pops, I use a container of DE mixed with sand and dusting powder but I never see the roos dust bath themselves. The girls bath everywhere, in the pine shavings, in their outdoor coop area and in the rubbermaid but not those roos. Not really sure why.

:thanks: XOX Monika

#8 2012-03-22 16:44:59

poplar girl
Administrator

Here is their website Monika: http://www.cutlersupply.com/

This is also where I buy Tylan.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2012-03-22 16:54:57

Island Girl

poplar girl wrote:

Here is their website Monika: http://www.cutlersupply.com/

This is also where I buy Tylan.

It says on the site that they do not ship to Canada, how do you get it here?

XOX Monika

#10 2012-03-22 16:59:57

poplar girl
Administrator

Well something might have changed then :( I had to call last time but they did ship to Canada no problem. I did notice they were encouraging people to set up a US mailing address through Bongo last time I was on there but I didn't end up finishing the order (yet) so I am not sure.

#11 2012-03-22 19:28:45

Flat Rock Farm

I just did everyone this past weekend.  I use Ivormec and dusted them with carbaryl,  HATE crawlies :sick:

#12 2012-03-22 19:39:44

Lisa

Newbie question -

I picked up some Bimectin (ivermectin) at the feed store recently. It says "injection" on the box. Is this the same ivermectin that y'all are talking about? And how is it best used? It's a product for cattle and swine....

It says treated cattle can not be used for food for at least 35 days and treated swine for 28 days.

Monika, I bought the Frontline from Cutler's in December or Jan, and they didn't mention a problem mailing to Canada. Maybe something changed?

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#13 2012-03-23 01:02:45

poplar girl
Administrator

You can buy pour-on and injectable Ivemectin. I think maybe the stuff Pops uses in the water is the injectable like you have...he would need to confirm or correct me on that.

This is my favorite creepy crawly smiley http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/12962/bed-bug.gif Should we keep him?

#14 2012-03-23 01:15:14

Island Girl

OMG pg that smilie is even better than I could imagine. Definitely a keeper. :P

XOX Monika

#15 2012-03-23 01:16:18

Flat Rock Farm

Well I use the injectable Ivormec, but it can be given orally or topically.  Last summer I gave it orally but this year I did topical drops near the vent and then dusted them with Carbaryl dusting powder as a double whammi.  Did I mention......I hate crawlies :sick:

#16 2012-03-24 02:14:47

poplar girl
Administrator

I am embarrassed and appalled to post this but perhaps my stupidity will help others. I cleaned the coop today and checked for mites and lice thanks to this post. Well Ozzie was CRAWLING with them. He has been sitting in the nest box with his two broody girls the past day and a half since I got home because he is weak from blood lose :shock: some of the other chooks have mites as well but nothing compared to Ozzie.

So I bathed him to get his poopy bum clean and to wash some of the mites from him. His skin is all red and rough from the mites. Then I powdered him with that awful powder I never use as I need to kill the mites quick, before he looses more blood. I eprinexed him and the entire flock and hung a No Pest Stripe in the coop.

Ozzie is inside beside the ecobrooder drying. I made him some vitamin and glucose water and managed to get him to eat a little liver and sweet potato. He is very tired and his comb is not as red as it should be. The mites are not all gone or all dead yet.

My tiny purple rooster is not well at all because of a horrible case of mites. I don't deserve to be a chicken parent letting this happen. I am not going away for a full two weeks ever again.

#17 2012-03-24 04:09:24

Island Girl

I so know how you feel pg. Its amazing how quickly those crawlies can get our of hand. It sounds as if you got a good handle on it now. Check their bums again tomorrow and you will be amazed at how fast things improve. I checked my roos again today and the dry red rough stuff is already clearing up. I`m thinking that is why my roos are a little underweight and also why the third fellow`s comb is not so nice and red as the other two. :oops: We live and learn!! :hug:

XOX Monika

#18 2012-03-24 11:27:59

Flat Rock Farm

Oh PG don't beat yourself up.  It's an unfortunate thing about having chickens, they DO get crawlies even with the best of care.  I clean pens every second week and dust with carbaryl all the time on the perches, I feel like I am constantly cleaning and dusting :duh:  Good you caught them and got everyone taken care of. :thumbs:
Hope little Ozzie is feeling better soon.

#19 2012-03-24 11:57:33

Lisa

PG,

Asking you a favour, just for your poultry pals. Please be a little kind to yourself.  :) It's because you care about your birds and ARE a good poultry keeper that you are upset about the mites. :hug:

I think most of us have been there - I know I was last fall. And I could hardly bring myself to treat the poor birds and clean, because the mites grossed me out so much (didn't want to get them myself!). It's one of the reasons I resorted to the Frontline - not admirable, but at least the poor birds got better.

I have wondered what happens to birds out in the wild. I'm guessing they either find a good place to dust bath and smother the wretched things, or don't make it. Our birds are lucky to have us!

Sending you and Ozzie healing energy! Hmmm... we need a healing smilie!

Last edited by Lisa (2012-03-24 11:58:25)

#20 2012-03-24 12:12:03

poplar girl
Administrator

Thanks all I am trying not to beat myself up but I really feel awful. Ozzie is very subdued, no crowing and tail held low, but he is eating and drinking some.

The powder I have is Dry-Kil. It is rotenone and sulfur as active ingredients. It is not registered for mites but is registered for lice on turkeys and chickens. I can still find a few live mites on him but not that many.

This article was referenced in a BYC post on mites, I read it last night after panicking and treating Ozzie and the rest with minor thought and mostly adrenalin and thought it quite good http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/mites.htm

Lucky I am not that creeped out by mites!

#21 2012-03-24 13:58:26

Susan
Administrator

Hugs PG. and for the record, you are an awesome poultry Mom! I admire and respect you always. Ozzie will be ok. You know how to help him get his energy back. And knowing you, there will never be another crawlie on those birds again- which is impossible as far as I know. I need to clean up my birds too. I see some lice action happening. I have to be especially vigilant as I have layers that I raise " organically" ( I'm not certified, but follow their guidelines) oh, such fun. Oh. By the way- another tip pops told
E about that really works- use cedar shavings in the nest boxes. They repel all crawlies! And the coop smells nice.

#22 2012-03-24 18:10:25

gubi
Website

Those darn bugs seem to ketch up with everyones chickens and you guys all do a great job at killing them off, sometimes just make sure you don't go overkill.  My bug I'm battling is scaly leg mites this winter.  I used Eprinex on the back of their necks.  I like to put a bit of DE in the bottom of the nests when I have hens broodie.  They are very susceptible to bugs when they are sitting.  If you are looking for a product that is labeled for use in poultry ectiban is.  I don't think it would be approved for organic.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#23 2012-03-24 18:30:07

Lindy Lou

I've got a bit of scaley leg mite too this winter. I've just given everyone their Ivermetin so I hoping to clear that leg problem up. If not I just use vaseline fr a week or so  and that works pretty good.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#24 2012-03-24 20:11:47

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

PG, he'll be fine.  Just work your magic and try not to feel bad, at least you noticed before it was too late.  The lice and mites can get going quickly. 

I just lost a broody chanty hen this morning, she was still warm when I found her, and the first thing I checked was here for mites/lice ....and none.  The chanties religiously dustbath compared to all the others, they go through so much ash and dio.   I think the roos can't let their guard down so don't preen and bath properly in the bachelor pen.  Anyway, I think the silly hen choked on shavings, she was off her nest, doing her daily binge, I bet, and she had shavings and water all stuck in her beak. There were no shavings in the food or water, so no idea what she was doing, poor girl she was fine yesterday and of course one of my favourites. 

I hope Ozzie perks ups soon PG, if he wants to be a Dad, he'll have to buck up!  :thumbs:

#25 2012-04-14 17:30:36

Susan
Administrator

Oh joy. I just joined the fun. Apollo was acting off for the last couple days. Checked him and low and behold- mites. I don't think they were immature lice. They were about a quarter of the size and white, not brown. I can only find them on Apollo. (wondering why we are seeing it in the Roos?) but everyone is getting treated and I am removing the roosts (burning them) and replacing with new ones. Ach!!! Please don't let my laying flock have them!!

Adverts

Board footer