Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-10 01:08:27

poplar girl
Administrator

Why EOs are so amazing!

Below is my biggest, most beautiful little girl. She is about 9 weeks old, from Susan's pair. She has yellow legs, I think with all the white mottling will have nice barring, and is supper friendly. I live in fear of loosing her.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/6b6f7b6e.png

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/1ee2c1ae.png

I can't get over her amazingly sweet personality. She doesn't peck at me ever, just wants to cuddle. Those that have not discovered EOs yet are sure missing out :whistle:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-07-10 01:08:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-10 01:15:38

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Re: Why EOs are so amazing!

Supper beautiful girl .
:EO:

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#3 2011-07-10 02:04:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Aww :love: What a beautiful pullet.  She looks really nice.  And a cuddly temperament is great!  :applause:  They can be a bit pecky.... I think it's just sheer nosiness.  I have a Wheaten Ameraucana that burrows in like that for attention....Speckled Jim will too if I sit still.

#4 2011-07-10 02:18:25

poplar girl
Administrator

Some of my other girls are very pecky. Some to the point of being not so nice. The roosters too. This little girl is just pure sweetness so far. I am really excited about her in fact. For me temperament is going to be a factor in who to keep so it is just awesome that she has both a beautiful personality and physical traits.

I have two other girls who I like enough to keep. This one i am a bit worried to keep as she had wry neck but has fully recovered. Also her legs are white. But pretty good coloring. (I think?) and a good temperament.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/7cba03f9.png

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-07-10 02:19:13)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-07-10 03:00:16

Susan
Administrator

Love them PG!!  Was the white legs from mine? I have only had ones with yellow. Just trying to figure out future pairings- it's getting rather complicated!

#6 2011-07-10 03:27:11

poplar girl
Administrator

No Susan, all yours have yellow legs. Yellow is recessive so once you have yellow legged parents like Sparkle and Sequin  no more white legs!

The white legged girl is from SLF.

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-07-10 03:27:39)

#7 2011-07-10 03:29:28

Susan
Administrator

Ok good to know- I still have so much to learn! Edited to add:  I wasn't sure as she os so speckled like my hens!

Last edited by Susan (2011-07-10 03:32:01)

#8 2011-07-10 04:13:13

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Lovely, they seem so content perching on you.  ! I think I know who her Mom is.  My biggest hen, speckly and a sweet bird. 

I need to hatch a lot more yellow leggeds before I feel comfortable letting my white legs go, as they are nice birds otherwise.  :whistle:

#9 2011-07-10 12:39:15

gubi
Website

PG I think you have a nice pair of hens but they are so cuddled into you I can't really see them! 
Claire I think it is wise to not get too carried away with the yellow legs. There are other things that need just as much attention but are not as easy to breed as the yellow legs.  Saying that I do love those bright amarillo legs on some of mine!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2011-07-10 13:18:31

poplar girl
Administrator

Gubi i agree, not great for seeing much as these pictures were not meant for selection purposes, just to tease those who don't yet own any of these sweet birds :love: I will take some proper pictures prior to selection time and get some advice on how they look.

White legs are pretty easy to fix compared to other flaws. Since white is dominant to yellow there is a good chance a white legged bird still carried one gene for yellow legs. This time around I suspect I will be keeping some with white legs too but hopefully only hens.

#11 2011-07-11 01:34:35

ChestnutRidge
Website

What a snuggly hen!  I keep trying to snuggle my Speckled Sussex hen, Henny (what a creative name, I know, but she is just that cute!), but she'll have none of it.  I need some EOs hasta pronto so I might finally have a lap chicken! =D

#12 2011-07-11 01:59:42

poplar girl
Administrator

:EO: ChestnutRidge, the young chicks from another line are just as friendly. I worry they will tumble out of the brooder in their haste to get to me. Not every one is a lap chicken but enough of them that you can't imagine not having them around.

Yep highly recommended!

#13 2011-07-11 13:32:33

Flat Rock Farm

What a lovely pullet, was wondering as she looks a lot like one of mine, then kept reading and see you got her from Claire and that explained everything.  Your right about them being too pecky I have one roo, I think it's the one on my avatar, he comes up behind me especially when I have shorts on and pecks me in the back of the leg, OUCH!  It's funny I have Buff Chantecelers in with my EO's not sure if the EO's rub off on them but they are very sweet calm birds and are friendly as well.  I have never had chanties before so I am not sure if that is common in them to be friendly???

#14 2011-07-11 15:01:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

With chanties, we've found it's the line.  They are not that friendly for the most part and have had screamers and peckers when you try to pick them up but at least half if the John  Blehm ones will come up fir a cuddle Roos included!  They do learn from watching other get picked up and cuddled especially ones that could be shy like dorkings and ameraucanas.

Best lap chooks are duccle any colour, Euskal oiloa, wyandottes, orpingtons, some sumatras!  Some birds will always be friendlier than others in the flock.  I can approach and pick up all but the black penedsencas out if my 40 or so hens abd pick all the roos up.  and I think it's because the birds see others get picked up and they like it and come away unharmed and wanting more!

#15 2011-07-21 01:43:22

Flat Rock Farm

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

With chanties, we've found it's the line.  They are not that friendly for the most part and have had screamers and peckers when you try to pick them up but at least half if the John  Blehm ones will come up fir a cuddle Roos included!  They do learn from watching other get picked up and cuddled especially ones that could be shy like dorkings and ameraucanas.

Best lap chooks are duccle any colour, Euskal oiloa, wyandottes, orpingtons, some sumatras!  Some birds will always be friendlier than others in the flock.  I can approach and pick up all but the black penedsencas out if my 40 or so hens abd pick all the roos up.  and I think it's because the birds see others get picked up and they like it and come away unharmed and wanting more!

Well I got my buff chanties from Hobbyfarmer, he had a couple of hens then I brought him a pair from Woodsy back in Jan when I did my Quebec run so I am not sure what line they are from, very pretty chooks.  Yes the D'uucle are THE best cuddler's I find the roos more so than the hens.

#16 2011-07-21 02:31:12

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I find the D'cuccle girls are more forward, but the boys more cuddly and seem more content when they come up!  :chook:  Hobby farmer has quite a few breeds now!  =D  there aren't many buffs in Ontario!

#17 2011-07-26 11:37:19

poplar girl
Administrator

The name of the little girl in the top two photos is Gem! Thanks Island Girl! Visibly ( i haven't weighed them) she is just as big as some of the smaller pullets 1 month older than her. The girls just moved into the laying hen house on the weekend (I am running out of space :( ) I was very impressed with my older hens manners towards the young girls, almost no conflict. Gem is doing just fine, a very confident young lady.

Adverts

Board footer