Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-22 16:46:59

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Blondie and her Beau....no eggs yet! Pics

Blondie a "Cheeky monkey" as they say back home! I love her green eyes.
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6620.jpg

Curly...did lose his points (didn't drop fertility), the girls never did that were in with him from Jan to May.  He has no clavell but had a bigger comb than his Dad and was in a colder area of the barn with more wind and air movement, wish I'd realised but it was too late.  He has yellow legs but they are washed out now.  He has much less white than Jim.  Stefan you can see why you got some darker males, I think he is well barred but ideally should have less black/grey on his chest and bloomers.  I noiced today how much he has widened up, like his Dad.  He's about a year old now.
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6625.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6621.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6632.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6631.jpg

2011-07-22 16:46:59

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-22 18:01:37

gubi
Website

Re: Blondie and her Beau....no eggs yet! Pics

He does have a huge comb!  I see it with my rooster too, he he widened out alot since last fall.  There is quite a difference in size of combs in the breed still too.  My Blondie Jr has the same as your Blondie, but Goldie the honey coloured one has such a nice small comb.  Do you have any pictures of him from last fall?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-07-22 19:38:06

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

He looks really good hope he dose well with her.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#4 2011-07-22 20:12:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks JCE!  All mine have good sized wattles, male and female, but the comb does vary a little.

This was Sept 30th, he was most likely hatched late may/early June last year.  He was in the oldest group. 
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/laterfowlpow067.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/laterfowlpow116.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/laterfowlpow123.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/laterfowlpow115.jpg

These 2 pics were November 2nd last year of him, his legs were way paler than the other one with the clavell.  They actually almost look white :Crazy:  I think he would have to be heterozygous as specky is yellow legged, Blondie is too as she has had yellow legged chicks with \Specky
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/november2ndbirds035.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/november2ndbirds034.jpg

#5 2011-07-22 20:28:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Curly Midwinter December
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Dec2010088.jpg

#6 2011-07-23 00:16:04

gubi
Website

Thanks for the pictures!  He sure was a nice looking cockerel!  He does have a nice amount of red in him too.  I have a couple of cockerels that only show a little bit of rust on the wings and the back and no red at the neck, everything else is grey barred.  I do have one really nice son of his from the last hatch!  He's fairly big for his age, has nice yellow legs and lots of red barred.  I wonder did anyone hatch any white pullets?  I have hatched 5 cockerels that were almost white as young and the barring didn't come in until later.
How long do you leave the cable ties on?  I have some of mine marked with them too.  mainly in case someone wants to buy a pullet so I don't sell any of my breeders by accident!  I marked all my Ameraucana (EE) cockerels with them at 3 weeks old.  I find they are easiest to sex the at that age, after that you have to wait until they crow!  I guess I'll find out how accurate I was in about a month.
I hope you get many pullets out of this mating that are as nice as my Blondie Jr.!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2011-07-23 01:00:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

My little pet EO roo with the clavell is all grey barred, with red on the wings and bright yellow legs.  I still am amazed at how much they all vary!

#8 2011-07-23 03:12:02

poplar girl
Administrator

Both Blondie and Curly look to have pink feet, possibly both carrying the yellow gene?

I am wondering if I shouldn't just pick the friendliest, not worry about the rest so much. I mean really, friendly and healthy are pretty good traits.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2011-07-23 09:38:16

gubi
Website

Poplar they are both definitely carrying the yellow gene.  I have a pullet here that looks exactly like Blondie but has bright yellow legs!

#10 2011-07-23 19:27:39

poplar girl
Administrator

The concern will be 75% of the chicks will have white legs and 25% will have two genes for white legs. But I think Eric said you can tell those from the ones with 1 yellow gene as the skin color around the eye will be yellow if the carry one yellow gene. Maybe I an dreaming that up but I think so.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2011-07-24 02:11:08

gubi
Website

I have a white legged rooster from last year so I'm planing on mating him to the yellow legged pullets from this year. 
We do know the EO's we have in Canada are
-extremely friendly, we had some friends over today and all the Eo's where right there to get attention.
-Very productive, everyone else pretty much stopped laying in this heat but my two girls from last year are still laying and so are my new pullets.  The cockerels are faster growing then other heritage breed they are a true dual purpose breed.
They do however have a wide range in colors still in them as for legs and feathers.  So the question is do we want the EO's to be a perfectly marked bird or do we want it to be a friendly productive bird.  I think the reason we all like them so much is not because they are a perfect bird for the show?!

#12 2011-07-24 03:01:31

poplar girl
Administrator

I have been thinking the same thing gubi...I am thinking I might go for friendly, healthy, productive and not worry too much about breed standard. Big decision to make though...

My reason is simple...I have a few birds that are not necessarily perfect to the standard but my oh my are they friendly. A little roo that follows me everywhere, caramel my baby pullet who will jump/fly from anywhere to sit on my shoulder. But the roo will have white tail feathers and might have a sidesprig andvthe pullet has side sprigs and may not be barred. Not sure it matters?

#13 2011-07-24 03:07:14

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

To quote the song by Queen, "I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now!"  The best thing about there being a group of us with these is "mistakes" or learning from experience are not as serious as they could be.  Thanks for sharing the responsibility =D  :cheer:  I have been guilty of selecting the friendlies that are "close-ish".  The Spanish ones look so uniform, I am sure we will get there (they had  a head start!) but it has to be done with friendly stock here at our place!

I got three eggs again from my 3 girls in with Specky, the heat doesn't phase them (like it does me! :Crazy:

Looking at that roo at different ages, I love the little baby face he has, he looks so different now!  :EO:

#14 2011-07-24 11:46:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:jumping: Got our first Blondie egg in with Curly!  I forgot to check last night and there was an egg in there this morning. :cheer:  Still haven't got the bator :whistle: 

Oh and one of my sumatras was missing last night....most likely brooding somewhere, she was making all the noises the night before, the intermittent clucks and the purrs and fluffs up on her 7 foot roost, silly girl.  It's cos it got so hot. Looking for her, I found the stash the other one has been laying in the grainery :banginghead: don't fancy those much!  Thing is they won't even be fertile.

#15 2011-07-24 12:03:38

gubi
Website

Sumatra raising Euskal Oiloas. :thumbsup:

#16 2011-07-24 14:29:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Maybe!  They could be quite batty...no, #6 is probably sitting on her own stash of unfertilized eggs - unless my lavender Duccle has turned into a contortionist! ;)  Half sumatra half lavender duccle, there`d be a odd match-up!

Actually we were a  bit lazy getting the chantecler eggs out and the two hens in with the little chanty roo laid a whole ton.  The original mother of the three Chanty chicks in those pics a while back is sitting on at least 18 chanty eggs and has been for 2 weeks.  I did a random candle yesterday of half a dozen or so and only took one out :oops: all the rest were growing beautifully :whistle:

I have 2 lav ameraucanas and 2 more chanties broody upstairs in the layer coop, so they may have some surprise chicks one morning!  We'll see, I have no idea what we are doing now.  Things are super wierd right here with the sale, we had an offer after we had 90% decided to stay (the people came for eggs, had a quick look around, didn't even view the house) and contacted our realtor the next day.... :huh: I have been up and down and back and forth all week, what a lot of stress.  :sad:  The interested buyers called us last night and the saga continues...

#17 2011-07-24 21:21:18

reereechickens

Great pictures!:love:

EO's have started laying! My EO flock: 4 hens 2 roos

#18 2011-07-24 22:12:07

gubi
Website

Your all set for the incubator part then with all those broodies!  A couple of my broodies hatched some more Spitz chicks for me.  I put 15 Spitz eggs under my second BLRW hen to go broodie and 3 days later when I had the 4 Spitz eggs still with me because I always feed the chickens after milking.  My silkie that hatched the call ducks was broodie again so i put the 4 eggs under her.  A few days later i noticed the BLRW couldn't really cover all the eggs so i transferred a couple of eggs from her to the silkie.  So when the eggs started to hatch I gave all the chicks to the Silkie and left the unhatched eggs with the BLRW.  Well she left the nest and went to the silkie outside in the coop.  So I candled the remaining eggs and one is still alive and one maybe so I stuck them in the incubator, well the next night a have a broodie silkie so I stick the eggs back under that silkie.This morning she was gone and the eggs were cold again but now the chick is piping and still is alive tonight.  It is so hot and humid here the chick might just hatch without a broodie!  The Spitz are the only breed I still have separated.  They are at the dairy farm, since I set those broodies I have been handing any eggs they lay straight to mom so I'm not tempted to stick them under the next broodie, I might need to expand the winter coop to have enough room for all the chicks I have!  Temptation now is I had to cull my EE rooster.  So I only have the EO and a couple of silkie roosters upstairs so my EO eggs could soon be pure!  My EE rooster got my son with his spurs.  The big EO rooster was there faster then me chasing him away.  I'm not sure if he was just being territorial or if he was actually defending my son?  My son is already scared of the roosters.  I keep telling him that he is the boss of the roosters and he keeps telling this to the roosters but the EE didn't listen so he informed me that he does no longer want to be the boss of the roosters I can have that job back.
I really don't want to be in your shoes about the whole sale thing.

#19 2011-07-25 03:49:24

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks Reeree!  I can't wait til you can post pics of your EOs!  :thumbsup:  I take so many, I can track quite a few chickens to adulthood! 

That would be tempting have the EO roo only with all the hens Stefan.  You'll still get easter eggers with and EO roo and your EE hens.  Sounds like you may need another barn there! =D

OK you're the first to hear it, the farm is.....not for sale anymore.  We are staying.  :jumping:  Probably going to build in a few years about where my bees are in the second field out of view of the house and barn.  We want to sever but will work something out anyways.  We have looked at houses and land and can't find anything as beautiful as we have here.  We've told the people that want it now that we aren't leaving.  We are going to get a trailer and spend weekends at our future building site looking at the beautiful view and getting a break from this old house.  :cheer:

#20 2011-07-25 09:15:35

gubi
Website

:thumbsup:

#21 2011-07-26 02:47:40

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks Stefan!

#22 2011-07-26 03:15:27

poplar girl
Administrator

Must be a real weight off your shoulders to have decided Claire! No more keeping the place spotless for showing.
:happycrowd"

#23 2011-07-26 03:29:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:applause: yep I'm just not a tidy person :jumping:

Adverts

Board footer