Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-23 03:22:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Need genetics study group member's input!

We are close to wrapping up our genetics study group topic 2: Terms and Definitions. It's time for some suggestions! I would love to hear what everyone thinks about what we have covered to far. Namely a draft Standard of Perfection for the EOs (marraduna color variety) and Genetics Terms and Definitions.

And what topic should we tackle next? Following Hutt the next topic would be Chromosomes and Sex Linked Traits.  I am open to suggestions on what our next topic should be!

Or maybe we need another quiz first to see how :wise: we have all become?

With spring around the corner we will probably only have time for one or two more topics before we put the books away until fall. Or do we keep going?

Here are the topic we had listed awhile ago:

- Chicken technical term and definitions, defects, etc (this maybe from the SOP so everyone knows how to recognize things like poor head and body characteristics that may cause lack of vigor, roach back, wry tail, duck foot, etc).
- EO breed standard 
- Basic genetics terms and concepts
- chromosomes and sex linked traits
- skeletal variations (crooked beak, crooked breast bone)
- variation of the skin (combs and side sprigs)
- variations in the plumage (feather stubs, split wing, sex differences, rapid vs slow feathering)
- variations in skin color (shank color, ear lobe color)
- Variations in plumage color (basic genes involved and what they do, barring, hopefully marraduna EO specifics)
- variations in body size
- egg production and variations in the egg
- genetics of disease resistance
- genetic aspects of reproduction
- genetics in practice   

Let me know what you think!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-02-23 03:22:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-23 03:28:58

Susan
Administrator

Re: Need genetics study group member's input!

Check your PMs my dear!

#3 2012-02-23 03:41:50

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

OK, I am like a kid in a candy store, I like to eat my favourites sweets first and I see few treats on the list I have been meaning to learn for a few years now...but then in the words of Queen "I want it all and I want it now"

What do you think PG?  You are streets ahead of us on the EO genetics.  If we only get 1-2 more in, what do you think would benefit the breeding group the most this year? 

Would it be too much of a jump to go to genetics of cull traits, leg colour/ear lobe and/or sprigs or the overall SOP signs of  a good and poor specimen?  I guess we need genetics of sex linkage first for the leg colour don't we?  Maybe sex linkage, then the skin colours?  :snowman:

#4 2012-02-23 12:51:28

Maggiesdad

Hmmm... I'm thinking barnbuilding 101, 102 and 103

quizzes weekly or or every other - to keep us thinking about it

Steady stream of topics, at least six per year???

Isn't the whole purpose of this effort to move the EO forward (responsibly) as a breed in NA? , It would be a shame to shelve the project til long nights roll around again...

You guys don't stop posting in spring and summer, do you? I'm already experiencing withdrawals :nervous:

Just thinking out loud (for what it's worth)

#5 2012-02-23 13:32:32

poplar girl
Administrator

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the "barnbuilding" MD. I think Claire you are suggesting sort of the same thing?

I wonder if it's jumping too far ahead too fast to talk about Breeding and Selection of EOs specifically next? And I wonder if we collectively know or can research enough to do the topic justice. Or maybe we need to cover the topics inorder and just keep things moving along a bit faster?

We don't need to stop for summer...just want to see what the members want!

And a quiz at the end of each topic (or midway if it's a big one) I can do ;) I learn just as much trying to put those darn things together as you guys do taking them! I will start putting one together for Topic 2.

More member input please!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-02-23 15:21:44

Susan
Administrator

I'm torn. On one hand I have potentially 3 marradunna groupings to put together and 1 Gorria (done). I still keep trying to figure out who to put with whom and must start today!  On top of that, I have 300 chicks to chose from and the others will soon be sold (I know, poor me lol) my point is that I need some of that info. On the other hand, to truly understand, one needs the basics. Sorry if that isn't much help! :)

#7 2012-02-23 17:42:35

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Truly, the culling selection can wait til mid to late summer or fall even as that is when the next generation are going to be selected (apart from poor Susan!!).  We already did last year, as we have the ones we have now sand are breeding, right?  We have the decent thread on how to select (under 3 months) if you have to go sooner.  And we can always get the group input too as usual til we have the down pat.

I know I am busier in the summer, but plan to be on here daily and I think we have a few other EO addicts too that may drop in!! but if there is enough interest, anyone can always read the existing new threads made over the summer in the fall, and ask for clarification, it'd be a good freshener and will set the knowledge in that much better for us all then too. 

I think next chromosomes and sex link then to stay on track with the book? 

or, Chicken technical term and definitions, defects, etc (this maybe from the SOP so everyone knows how to recognize things like poor head and body characteristics that may cause lack of vigor, roach back, wry tail, duck foot, etc)  but again, that's not needed til later really.  Might be nice as a more fun spacer after a "dry" module!

Then we go into the genetics of these variations group by group as we follow through the book...?

#8 2012-02-25 13:31:49

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan will be meeting with Dr. Roy Crawford. He is a retired University of Saskatchewan professor of poultry science who authored a book on poultry genetics (that is currently difficult to retain a copy of), developed the Ridley Bronze turkey :turkey: and helped to bring the Hungarian Yellow breed of poultry back from the brink of extinction. I am sure there is a great deal  more I have missed!

This is Susan's request:

Susan wrote:

Could I suggest a "mini topic" for our genetics group? I want to go prepared.  Are there genes other than the EO barring gene that we know of specific to the EOs? What is the EO barring gene's designation?  What chromosomes does it appear on?  Etc etc.

How does the genetics study group feel about spending a week trying to put together what we know and can find out about the genetic "recipe" of the EO?

If YES we would need to get started right away as Susan meets with Dr. Crawford March 3rd.

#9 2012-02-25 13:43:16

Maggiesdad

This is good - if Susan is prepped and ready with what she (we) already know and and a clear,  concise list of what she (we) would like to learn, it can only help.

#10 2012-02-25 13:47:03

poplar girl
Administrator

I agree MD. Members please post your ideas on how Susan can prepare for her meeting with DR. Crawford: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=655

#11 2012-02-25 22:45:07

ipf

sorry, I'm behind on definitions - will get back on it ASAP. Busy couple of weeks at work.
I think quizzes are a REALLY good idea; good for all of us.
Re EO barring gene - I believe that it is the same gene as is responsible for barring on Barred Rocks. Designated B; dominant over b, unbarred. Sex-linked, so on Z chromosome.

Adverts

Board footer