Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-01-08 21:09:19

Lindy Lou

Re: Greetings from Peterborough!!

Sounds exactly right to me. I started off with 12 laying hens. Now I have 70 or so, they don't stand still so I can't do an accurate count :whistle: Of course I'm the one that has the GLW with a crossed beak, the SLW with a twisted spine, The white cochin with one leg shorter than the other and last but not least the Pekin duck with a crippled leg. What can I say I'm a sucker for an underdog.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-01-08 21:09:19

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2012-01-08 22:21:52

Flat Rock Farm

I wonder where you got most of those from Lynn :whistle:  Your such a good egg :layer:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-01-08 23:15:45)

#28 2012-01-08 22:33:51

Island Girl

Looks like everyone else has covered all the addiction/enabling issues :P , so I will just say hello and :welcome: to an awesome group of people!!

XOX Monika

#29 2012-01-08 23:10:58

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

There's one called "Raising Chickens" or "Raising Poultry"that I got from TSC It's written by someone in the US with lots of rare breeds they have something to do with either the ALBC or a historic breed society.  It's like a how to book but all the pictures illustrating, free ranging and even taking blood for testing  are heritage breeds!  Lots of great colour pics and you will be trying to spot what breed is what.  There's a section on the rare breeds.  I'll look up the author.  I think I have at least 20 chook books :whistle: and it's not enough!! Part of the addiction! :happycrowd"

Here it is How to Raise chickens
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076032 … 0760328285

#30 2012-01-09 03:59:36

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:welcome: Hi eatmorechickens.  Nice to see you are here.  EO's are beauties and once you have one or two, there will be no turning back.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#31 2012-01-09 05:57:41

choctawgal
Website

Lindy Lou wrote:

Sounds exactly right to me. I started off with 12 laying hens. Now I have 70 or so, they don't stand still so I can't do an accurate count :whistle: Of course I'm the one that has the GLW with a crossed beak, the SLW with a twisted spine, The white cochin with one leg shorter than the other and last but not least the Pekin duck with a crippled leg. What can I say I'm a sucker for an underdog.

I hear you, Lindy Lou!  I had a white guinea with both feet curled inward.  Unfortunately it wasn't hearty enough to survive the move from the brooder to the "intermediate cage." 

However, I do have an 8 month old Ameracauna with dense looking cataracts in both eyes.  She does quite well, though... sticking very close to our BLRW rooster most of the day.  She must be able to make out shapes... every morning after I open the coop up, she walks over to me and repeatedly hops 2-3 inches straight up and down  :jumping:  until I finally pick her up and stick her head into the scratch bucket!!  :eat:

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#32 2012-01-10 00:58:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Awww sounds like they have great homes :layer: :applause:

#33 2012-01-10 02:15:04

ChestnutRidge
Website

Welcome, eatmorechickens!!!  Sounds like you are in the right place, here with us addicts - er - enthusiasts. :lol:

Maggiesdad wrote:

:funny: :funny: We went to a friend's the other evening and after about 20 min of conversation, he said "Can we talk about something other than chickens?" I gave him a blank look and said Well what else is there to talk about?! :funny:

:funny: :funny: :funny: Not that this has ever happened to me.... :whistle:

eatmorechicken wrote:

... am currently reading a new one that I was directed to called "The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An all-natural approach to raising chickens and other fowl for home and market grower" by Harvey Ussery. Seems like a great book - I am only on Chapter 3 so far - just started it this morning.

An EXCELLENT book!!!  I am so excited that you are reading this!  I just finished over the weekend, and for my purposes, it is the BEST chicken book, hands-down - and I am an avid reader of all chicken-ry!

I've also found The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow to be pretty indispensible.

Skeffling, I'm going to check out How to Raise Chickens.  That sounds excellent.

#34 2012-01-10 02:39:10

eatmorechicken

Well I glad reading over this thread that there are dedicated people out there who are willing to help out those less fortunate feathered friends. They need love too :love:

It is great we are sharing book information. It makes me laugh that as I begin my final semester at college, and I get my book lists - I am wishing I was in an animal husbandry program and all my book were the ones mentioned here :lol:

CR - thank you for giving Harvey Ussery's book a thumbs up. I think it is great so far.

If anyone has any other book suggestions - Please feel free to add them here!!

My wife and I are researching to begin our chicken adventure in 2012. We have 2 acres of property located just outside of the city. Bees are also a desire in 2012 as well and we have multiple flower gardens to keep them entertained. Long-term dream is to have a goat, goose and maybe even a llama - only because my wife won't let me have a bison. Owners of 6 cats - 1 male and 5 female.

#35 2012-01-10 03:16:04

Maggiesdad

eatmorechicken wrote:

If anyone has any other book suggestions - Please feel free to add them here!!

Maggie's favorites - in this order:

'Pocketful of Poultry' by Ekarius
'Chick Days' by Woginrich
'Mini Encyclopedia of Chicken Breeds and Care' by Bassom

My go to references, (not necessarily in that order):

'SG to Raising Chickens' by Damerow
'Raising Chickens for Dummies' by Willis and Ludlow
The EO Forum    OH YEAH!  :EO:
BYC

#36 2012-01-10 03:45:36

Maggiesdad

And she (Maggie) cracks me up when she brings me a book and says "Daddy, I think we need a Thpeckled Thuthex!"   :love:

#37 2012-01-11 00:38:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Cute! :thumbsup:

#38 2012-02-25 15:55:03

Amblecroft
Website

:welcome:
Hi Eatmorechicken.  Fun name!! :-)
Yes, our place is in Millbrook (just 10 min. south of Peterborough) and your are welcome to visit with us and meet our birds.  You'll never look back!  They are a wonderful breed and connected to them is also this wonderful community of people.  I don't stay at our farm in Millbrook all year round but should be up there in April.  I too will be needing to build a new coop to accomodate my chicken population explosion and I'm sure I'll have some birds available if you are interested.  I'll look forward to meeting you and your wife and will let you know when I start the pilgrimage :-)

Last edited by Amblecroft (2012-02-25 15:58:09)

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#39 2012-02-25 21:57:41

SherrieT

HELLO!!

I'm new here too. Welcome :lol:

Adverts

Board footer