Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2011-07-11 01:32:08

gubi
Website

Re: I'm so excited!!

Poplar girl in Germany they have Bielefelder.  Thew roosters look just like the Marradunas.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

2011-07-11 01:32:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2011-07-11 01:36:09

gubi
Website

My very first chicks I ever got where Bielfelder zwerghuehner.
http://martinhuehner.surfino.info/uploads/bielefelder10_pauling.jpg
http://martinhuehner.surfino.info/uploads/bielefelder01_pauling.jpg

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#28 2011-07-11 01:51:58

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh oh gubi looks like this could be complicated then :sad: the pictures I saw could easily have been of bielfelder zwerghuehner. Some of my EOs look alot like that in fact. What are the differences?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#29 2011-07-11 02:26:46

gubi
Website

The Bielfelder is an autosexing breed female chicks look almost like the welsummer chicks and the males are much a lighter brown.  They are also much deeper in their chest and you can hardly see the thighs on them.  The Euskal Oiloak stand more upright.

#30 2011-07-11 15:18:43

Susan
Administrator

They look like massive birds! Heavier than EOs

#31 2011-07-11 17:46:42

gubi
Website

The standards are very similar, weight roosters 3-4 kg hens 2.5-3.25kg and laying ability 230 eggs in the first year.  The Bielefelder are wider and lower to the ground then the Euskal oiloak
http://www.huehner-info.de/forum/showth … %C3%BChner

#32 2011-08-12 04:54:17

3riverschick
Website

Susan wrote:

I just got off the phone with a vet from CFIA. She was very helpful, although it was just a quick call for now.  She's faxing me the info on import/export regulations between Canada and the States for hatching eggs......and for import from SPAIN!! She said there shouldn't be a problem importing directly from there!! I let you know more as I find out. :happycrowd" Now lets line up some people willing to export...oh Lys....:hi:

--------------------
Hi Susan , :thumbsup:
I know I am brand new to this breed. Just barely getting my feet wet trying to learn about them. But, I wonder.... I was researching Pendescendas(sp?) a while back as a part of an extended study on dark egg breeds. ( I've been working with Marans the last 2 years) I ran across all the info on the semen preservation  projects the Spanish are working on.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/006/y4924t/y4924t09.htm
Very interesting.  I guess Lys would know if there is a project for EO's like there is for several other Basque livestock breeds. That said, I wonder if the frozen or chilled semen for the EO could be imported. Dog people do it all the time. No quarantine for canine semen. I wonder about poultry semen? I wonder if importing the semen and breeding the hens by artifical insemination  might work. What do you think?
Best,

Last edited by 3riverschick (2011-08-12 04:55:23)

Karen Tewart
"The present is best served when we remember the past."

#33 2011-08-12 12:42:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

As far as I can tell USA requires inspections for semen from Canada.  That does include dogs, cats and all types of birds, as well as more traditional farm animals. 

This was on this page http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani … od5e.shtml

"An import permit is required from the USDA for the following:

any livestock (including semen or embryos), poultry, birds, or semen that are destined to enter the U.S. by air, sea or an inland port of entry other than those listed below;"

Penedesencas are neat birds too!  :love:

#34 2011-08-17 03:42:27

3riverschick
Website

Well, in any case, i don't think the semen thing will work...I checked and poultry semen is only viable for 6-12 hours. I don't think that's long enough to get here from an EU country. Maybe Canada. I don't   *think*, might be   wrong, the viability is any  longer if it is chilled or frozen.
Best,
    :EO:

Last edited by 3riverschick (2011-08-17 03:54:09)

Karen Tewart
"The present is best served when we remember the past."

#35 2011-10-08 02:47:15

texastinsel

ok...this is so fascinating.  I acknowledge that I am new to this, but am willing to do what I can to help out.  The translating is no problem...if y'all could just set me on to how I can help I am all ready to lend my assistance.

#36 2011-10-08 03:11:10

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

That's great! :cheer: Thanks!

#37 2011-10-08 04:23:57

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Good to hear you are willing to help.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#38 2011-10-08 22:03:29

Susan
Administrator

Yay team EO! :cheer:

#39 2012-02-21 02:35:08

Chrish

also very new to this
is there any breeders in England? I was born there and have family there I could get someone from the inside to pick up eggs and pack/ship to Canada but I dont know anything about the red tape. Or should I just say I'm here to help where I can to help get some new blood. Would the cost be that bad if we all pooled together. If there is anything I can do let me know.

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#40 2012-02-21 02:50:07

Lindy Lou

Hi Chrish,
Welcome to our Forum. We have another newer discussion going on "Does anyone speak French" in General Discussion. I have hunted for anyone in England that has EO's and so far no one has even heard of them. We are now looking at a lead from Germany.

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-02-21 02:51:31)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

Adverts

Board footer