Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-17 23:46:26

Lisa

Wrinkled eggs...

H'Lo All!

Was wondering if I could get a weigh in on an egg issue - my eo's are starting to lay eggs that are a bit "wrinkled".

I think this can be a nutritional issue - they are currently getting 17% protein omega 3 layer, sprinkled with oyster shell and granite pebbles. They get a little corn at night, and green leafy stuff when it's available. I have put electrolytes plus in their water (it has vitamins and electrolytes in it, no antibiotics).

Anybody got any other ideas about cause and treatment? I need to be collecting soon for somebody, and I want the eggs to be fantastic....

:thanks:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2012-02-17 23:46:26

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-18 00:10:48

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Wrinkled eggs...

Is it just at the pointy end or all over and wavy too? 

If it's pointy end only, I don't know the cause all I know is if you're were getting them graded they'd be be 'B' I think because they can't may not wash them mechanically in a  factory setting.  I don't really don't know if that is genetic or not.

If they look like wavy raspberries with wrinkles the whole length but still more at the pointy end, it could be infectious bronchitis, it can give them wrinkled eggs.  It is fairly common and we have always had a chanty lay them at this time of year, no matter what strain. 

There is an egg troubleshooting guide we should sticky, I have to shut my chooks up now but I just googled it

Factors Affecting Egg Production in Backyard Chicken Flocks
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps029

#3 2012-02-18 03:18:09

Susan
Administrator

Yes! What Claire said. In all honesty, the first thing I think of when someone talks about wrinkled eggs is IB or infectious bronchitis. As well as involving the respiratory tract, it affects the reproductive system as well. Have you noticed sneezing or rattled breathing in your girls?

#4 2012-02-18 12:38:17

poplar girl
Administrator

Some of my EOs lay an egg with a slightly wrinkled pointy end once in awhile.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-02-18 15:24:17

Lisa

I have had coughing, sneezing and illness (including 2 fatalities) in the other coop. The eo girls have shown no signs of coughing or sneezing, but maybe they were exposed (from my clothes), and this is the result?

I've had a few eggs with a bit of wave on the ends, but am now getting some that have "etch marks" lengthwise down the eggs, and one that looked kinda wavy in the middle.

I treated the sick birds with tylan (thanks Lynn and Paula!), and they are better (mostly). But maybe the tylan just took out secondary infection, and the cause was the bronchitis?

I won't let the eggs go if they aren't good - but does anybody have a guess about how long it might take them if they are fighting off the illness and don't actually have it? Or is it permanent?

It just seems to me that putting eggs in the incubator that have wavy bits is kinda asking for bacteria problems....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#6 2012-02-19 02:05:45

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It is viral and would easily be spread on clothes from chicken nasal aerosols.  I believe they are carriers and it come to the fore when they are stressed.  Most chickens have a collection of diseases they carry when they are stressed what usually is kept at bay, surfaces and is shed.  IB is one of those.

I'd give it a few weeks to go through the system before sharing eggs if you can.  I believe the serum levels drop in the eggs between. I know mycoplasmas can go through eggs at varying rates depending on the species and at the high end of the range if the birds are showing active respiratory signs.  I can't remember if it IB goes though eggs or not.  I did know all this and have forgotten a lot.  The Merck Veterinary Manual is a good site for chicken bugs, so you can check those out.  I bet half or more flocks live with this.

Lots of good info on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_infe … bronchitis

"In laying hens, there can be transient respiratory signs, but mortality may be negligible. However, egg production drops sharply. A great percentage of produced eggs are misshapen and discolored. Many laid eggs have a thin or soft shell and poor albumen (watery), and are not marketable or proper for incubation. Normally-colored eggs, indicative of normal shells for instance in brown chickens, have a normal hatchability.  Egg yield curve may never return to normal. Milder strains may allow normal production after around eight weeks.

No specific treatment is available, but antibiotics can be used to prevent secondary infections."

http://en.wikivet.net/Avian_Infectious_Bronchitis
"IBV is transmitted mainly by aerosols and also by contaminated people/vehicles/equipment.

It can become persistent in a bird and recrudesce with stress, e.g. at point of lay.

Mortality often occurs due to secondary infection, particularly due to E. coli and Mycoplasma infections.

Good biosecurity and hygiene protocols are imperative to control this highly contagious disease. Particular efforts should be made with respect to ventilation and air quality."

#7 2012-02-19 02:34:40

ipf

There are other reasons why hens lay wrinked eggs. If it's just the occasional one, and that's the only symptom, I really wouldn't panic, or jump to conclusions. I've had a few wrinkly eggs, usually from older hens; also one hen that occasonally lays eggs with the lengthwise striations.

Adverts

Board footer