Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-16 22:10:28

NaturesPace
Website

beekeeping - about to jump in

I'm about to go to my first beekeeping association meeting this evening.  I haven't officially joined yet, but I contacted them and they invited me to their meeting. We are hoping to get 2 honey bee hives started this spring. I'm also hoping to get someone to volunteer to be my mentor. I read Storey's book on beekeeping, but having first hand experience would be best.

When in California I encouraged native bees (solitary bees) to visit my garden with 'bee blocks'. (see my old blog and bee blocks here. http://heidi.blogspot.com/search?q=bee+block)
Native bees are easy, just put up some blocks of wood with holes for them to lay their larva. Over the 4 seasons I had bee blocks, my yard was full of bees. I planted lots of things for them to eat and they pollinated everything I had. I was sad to leave my bees behind, but I gave them to a local backyard chicken owner/gardener.

Now we are going to spend a bit of money to get some honey bees. Anyone have experience with honey bees? Any advice?

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-02-16 22:10:28

AdBot
Advertisements

Adverts

Board footer