Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-14 01:47:01

Lisa

Critique needed please....

Hello All!

Attached, please find pics of my birds (:thanks: to Auntie Helen - a photographic trooper, even in the snow!). I put little tags at the top of each one with my current thoughts on them - please feel free to differ with my thoughts! I'm looking to decide who should be used for breeding.

The first 3 birds are 8 1/2 months old - they are Curly's offspring. The babies that Paula just picked up came from the three of them.

Cockeral 26 - yellow legs, good comb, good size, good colour, challenging temperament (but not if you're female)
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Roo26-Body-85months.jpg

Plum - yellow legs, good comb, good size, colour is too red/grey, lovely temperament
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Plum-BodyShot-85months.jpg

Peach - white legs, flop comb, good size, good colour, lovely temperament
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Peach-BodyShot-85months.jpg

The next birds are 22 1/2 weeks old - they are Jim's offspring. The main rush here is that an appt for freezer camp has been arranged for Wed - 2 unlucky lads are going (a small one and a grey one), and one other fella needs to go. But I'm thinking that maybe both should go. I think they are not as good as Cockeral 26, but they are from a slightly different genetic makeup (being Jim's boys instead of Curly's). Opinions please???

Cockeral 30 - white legs, good comb, very round body (like a butterball turkey), nice colour, temperament still developing. Has anybody had a cockeral that looked almost as wide as he is long at this age turn out to have good body type? I'm thinking he's too round.
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Cockeral30-BodyShot1-225weeks.jpg

Cockeral "No tag" - yellow legs, "side" sprig on the front of his comb, good size, nice colour, temperament still developing. I'm thinking it's not a good idea to deliberately introduce a side sprig into the gene pool when I have another choice that doesn't have the sprig.
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/CockeralSideSprig-BodyShot-225weeks.jpg
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/CockeralSideSprig-HeadShot.jpg

Pullet 36 - yellow legs, good comb, good size, too red, too much black mottling, good temperament
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Pullet36-BodyShot-225weeks.jpg

Pullet 38 - yellow legs, good comb, good size, too red/grey and white on her head, good temperament
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Pullet38-Body-225weeks.jpg

Pullet "Crooked toe" - yellow legs, crooked toe (seems genetic), good comb, small size, good colour except for white head and some mottling, stupidly friendly temperament. I'm thinking I won't breed her - she's small and has the crooked toe. But she is a lovely little pet!
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Pullet-CrookedToe-Body-225weeks.jpg
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Pullet-CrookedToe-Foot.jpg

And just for fun, 2 pics of my 8 1/2 month old self-blue d'uccle, Austin....
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Austin-Headshot-9months.jpg
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/Austin-Bodyshot-9months.jpg

Last edited by Lisa (2012-02-14 03:19:14)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2012-02-14 01:47:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-14 10:18:30

gubi
Website

Re: Critique needed please....

I love hen #36!  She's very nice.  Yes she has some black in here and a bit of white in the tail but she to me has the right colour for a marraduna.  Peach to me has the blondie colour.  I like your no tag rooster the best myself.  Butterball reminds me a bit of one of my white roosters.  This year is going to be exciting hatching babies from those.  You have a nice start in the breed.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-02-14 12:57:52

poplar girl
Administrator

I would agree with gubi about #36, she is a nice looking girl and I don't think her body color I far off. My Gem is like that and I want to see what colored offspring they produce.

For roosters I find the black horse ranch line birds are much rounder (like a butterball is a good description!) like your guy is.  As my Adonis is the same age as your boy I don't know how he will turn out yet either. Adonis also has a shorter tail like yours (no white in his tail). Perhaps it is partially the the short tail that cause them to look like a butterball and not so much the body length??

You have a tough choice to make!

Awe and then there is Austin! I love tiny purple chickens =D I believe his type is good. His foot feathering is nice and he is not showing any yellow in his hackle feathers yet which is good! His beard is too small and thus his wattles are too developed. Eye color too light a brown. Also looks like his tail feathers are a bit narrow (that feather quality issue in the lavenders). But he is super cute!!! Mine are all bathed and ready for the show this weekend, we'll see what the judge says as they are almost a year old now.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-02-14 14:56:30

Lisa

PG,

Really glad I posted Austin's pic! I didn't know his eyes should be darker...

In addition to the narrow tail feathers, he also still has some pin feathers that haven't come in on his shoulders - he has a pretty serious case of crappy feather quality. My thought is that I will not breed him unless it is to a black d'uccle - with gorgeous feather quality, dark eyes, a good beard, and no wattles. I'm thinking it may take a while to find one - anybody with birds, eggs, or leads, I'd be grateful for a tip off..... ;)

PG, I'd like to put in a request from the lavender fans - can you post pics of your birds and let us know what the judges told you about them? I'd love to learn from your experience...

I really am having a tough choice with these roosters. I'm starting to wonder if I should just keep Roo 26, let the rest go, and get eggs from someone in the spring who is breeding from a good rooster other than Curly. Anyone else got a thought? Pretty please?

Last edited by Lisa (2012-02-14 14:58:52)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#5 2012-02-14 16:05:36

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry Lisa,
I was beat last night.

My mistake, these are Curly's he was the dude with the women last winter, I think he wore the points of his comb with them.... :funny: 

You did well to get legs that yellow from Curly.  Their (half?)  sis, Drive-by is a cross between the two girls.  Your reddest girl Plum would be a great start for gorria if you wanted.  I find the really gingery/black one are usually the friendliest, no idea why.  I like Peach she's not a bad colour, I have some that fade more with less mottling and she looks like a fader <---- Technical term :whistle:   

I like your bolshy roo, #26 he is a nice size and shape, I'd keep him now as long as he wasn't downright evil and right now he is just protecting his girls, he has a little more grey than ideal I think, but his dad has tonnes.  This babies should be nice.  I have bred really red mottled hens and got the honey coloured chicks, so it will be great to see how they turn out.

OMG  I love "Butterball" your round guy, I like the wide roos and I'd keep him even to see how he turns out and his markings are so crisp, he is like a wide version of my Blondie/Curly's Sunny who is taller and more slender than nearly all my last years babies.  I know your dude (and mine are pale) but I think that is easy to fix.  I love the sturdy roos.  His has pale legs so you'd need yellow legged females, even your Plum might be worth an experimental mating.

I think side sprig boy may be a slighlt wider better shape than #26, it's hard to see int he pic.  Is one heavier than the other?  #26 is good anyway, just curious.  I had managed not to introduce side sprigs til this year, then it was no brainer with Sonny Jim with his half a one.  I'd probably keep Butterball over him.  I know he is pale, but #26 and Sidesprig are almost identical birds, so you won't get as much variety in the offspring (that's a laugh with these who knows what you'll get!), but I think Butterball will teach you more, and could produce some fantastic offspring, PG what do you think? 

Oh another thing, so far Butterball has no white on his tail yet, you may be able to peer down to the skin and if he is going to have it, it'll show very soon.  I noticed today (while he was freaking while hanging by a leg-don't ask :chairhide:) that two of the feathers that came out of Curly/Blondies Sunny were barred all the way to the root!)

I think your straight toed pullets are definitely worth breeding, specially with a lighter roo?   I love the side of the first one, she's a heavy looking hen.  I don't think that is excessive black really, less it better but they are breedable for sure.  The white on the head will probably go in the next few months.  I have two like that this year and theirs is going brown.  I bet after their next molt they get the Millie mottling.  That's what happened to my 2010 speckled (when juvenile) girl this fall. 

I love Austin (Powers?), he looks like a well tailored and coiffed gentleman.  I am going to have to stare into my tiny purple chook's eyes now.  I am still picking shavings out of my hair after Violet launched herself out of her run onto my head this morning.   I'd love to see pics and hear how they do, good luck PG!

#6 2012-02-14 16:45:27

Lisa

Claire,

Yup, Austin Powers. Named for his crow, which sounds like part of the Austin Powers theme song.... :lol:

#7 2012-02-14 20:20:52

Flat Rock Farm

Lisa wrote:

Claire,

Yup, Austin Powers. Named for his crow, which sounds like part of the Austin Powers theme song.... :lol:

I can vouch for that IT DOES!!  LOL :funny:

#8 2012-02-15 15:45:24

Susan
Administrator

Sorry I'm so slow to weigh in here! This is what I would do, if they were my birds: I'd keep roo 26 and Butterball. I'd do a trio with roo26, Peach( if you used her at all, as her comb is quite big and she may throw too much white with him, but needs his yellow legs) and pullet 38 (they should throw solid yellow legs)
With BB, I'd put Plum, pullet 36 and even try Crooked Toe.
And I love Austin!!

#9 2012-02-15 18:15:07

Lisa

Thanks Everybody!

#10 2012-02-16 14:17:17

Susan
Administrator

Which roo did you keep lisa?

#11 2012-02-16 14:29:41

Flat Rock Farm

I think she kept roo #26, correct me if I'm wrong Lisa.

#12 2012-02-16 17:52:14

Lisa

Yup,

I kept Roo 26. Yellow legs, no side sprigs, good size, fairly good colour, some mostly white feathers in his tail (but none completely white) - and a known successful breeder. He is also the nephew of my 2 better looking pullets (rather than their brother), which I thought might be a little better. So wierd - the nephew is ready to go, but the aunts are still too little!

I decided I just didn't have the room to keep a second rooster, especially since none of the others was without major faults. When the weather is better (or the barn is built!), I will be looking for another rooster, one who is not Curly's son (just to expand my genetic diversity). Am hoping somebody will be able to set me up later in the spring!

Ya know, I hate taking roosters to the processers - always feels the same as having to put down a dog to me. Sigh. I'm not yet a farmer.

Last edited by Lisa (2012-02-16 17:56:14)

#13 2012-02-16 18:59:54

Susan
Administrator

I so understand Lisa, I'm the same way :hug:

Adverts

Board footer