Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-21 15:06:54

poplar girl
Administrator

Planned summer 2012 winter coop addition

My current coop is a thing of beauty (in my very unbiased opinion :P) but it is small. It is all straw bail insulated and on the inside I have used all possible space with wall pens etc.

Here is a thread with some :pics: of my current coop.
http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=187

The plain and simple fact is I "need" more winter space. Summer is okay as we built some growout coops and pens  but i just can't do without more winter coop space. And I won't risk frozen combs and wattles and feet as winters can just be too cold here. This thought is firm in my mind on the way out of a week of -40 temperatures (C and F meet at minus forty so the units are irrelevant!).

So last weekend this plan is what I came up with and after a bit of discussion with DH got him to agree to help me build this summer! (Okay let's be honest, mostly I will help HIM build it but the important point is it will be built in time for use next winter) :thumbsup:

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/8665ef5f.jpg

The cross hatching around the rooms represents the thick (28") straw bale walls, we plan to build the addition the same way. Rooms 1 and 2 are what I have now. The brown boxes on the walls are wall cages, I will build some more in the entry room (Room 3) of the new coop. I find these work really well for bantams (my tiny purple chickens) and not too bad for a single rooster, or breeding pair of EOs. Rooms 4 and 5 will more than triple my laying hen capacity. And this one will have two beautiful south facing windows despit DHs worry that iwindows will make it too hard to heat in a cold snap. This I am standing firm on, my chooks will have windows!

Anyway, very excited about this project!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-01-21 15:06:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-22 01:20:12

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Planned summer 2012 winter coop addition

That looks awesome PG!  I'd insist on windows too :doI?:  maybe you can have  insulated shutters or panels on hinges that cover them at night?  Inside and/or outs.  Or a solid piece you put in on the coldest days/nights.

It sounds like the straw bale insulation is working very well for you there with your extreme temps.  At least it will be faster this time as you'll know what to do.  I cant; wait to see it being built, bet you can't either! :thumbsup:

#3 2012-01-22 01:28:50

poplar girl
Administrator

I was thinking the same thing about the windows, all of the ideas you offered have crossed my mind actually. I think the idea I like best is the shutters. All the old homes in Germany had wooden shutters on the outside that they closed up at night and I think that is what I will do. If it is crazy cold I can put some insulation in between as well.

Yep, I am so excited. We have a master bathroom that has been under renovation for over 4 years now that is coming along nicely and might be usable by spring but the idea of an addition on the chicken coop is much more exciting :Crazy:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-01-22 01:57:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We have and hinged hardware cloth mesh covers on the inside of our coop windows s to keep the hens off the windowsill and the the predators out in summer when we have the outer windows open.  They are a single piece that could have a barrel latch or we just use a spring hook.  They could easily hold insulation from falling into the coop, even a couple of feed bags filled with straw or of they are the right depth, some pink insulated still int he white plastic bag you buy it in, with something thick and insulated on the outside too.  Depending on the weight, it will be a lot easier to got with one panel that goes off to one side!  Less chance of air leakage.

I know what you mean on the coop excitement.  I have to wait a few eyars now, but a wash and paint in the layer coop and the turkey caravan of love are on the books for the spring!  :jumping: Oh and new deck...

#5 2012-01-22 14:24:09

gubi
Website

I like your plans.  I need to build new chicken accommodations for next winter too.  We are moving to the farm this summer.  I don't think I need to get that insulated around here though.  When you built your coop do you worry about a building permit?  Here anything over 108 square feet will need a permit and if I built a chicken barn i probably need a nutrient management plan.  And the government has no common sense in Ontario.  When we put an lean to onto our bar for the dry cows 3 years ago.  They where conserved about our 5 sheep and where we store their manure, that and the calf hutches!  They would probably force me to built a concrete sealed bunker with a roof top for chicken manure storage!  I was looking at storage sheds but they are expensive 2200.- for a 10 by 10 and then I would need a few of them to house all my breeds. 

How do you divide room 4 and 5?  will you have a window in between those two rooms to get the light into room 4?  Will you have pop doors going out from every room with runs outside?  Or do you have separate summer buildings?  How do you set up the pens as where do you place roosts, nests and feed in room 4 and 5?  I like the idea of the nests outside of the coop to get more chicken room with same square footage, but I don't think it will work in -40!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2012-01-22 14:51:45

poplar girl
Administrator

Wholly moley gubi, glad I posted this as all your questions allow so much further posting about my new favorite topic =D

In Alberta you do not require a building permit for agricultural buildings like this one. My DH knows all the rules better than me but I know for an acerage like ours for hay sheds, barns, coops etc. no permits are required even for permenant structures, you don't have to follow any building codes either! And no environmental plans etc. are required at this point either. Pretty simple compared to what you're facing in Ontario it sounds like! I'm sure if the operation was a big commercial one there would be more paperwork but for this type of thing we are still blessed with the Alberta government minding its own business!

I loved my drawing program but I couldn't put all the details in that I have in mind. To help with air flow and ventilation the top third of the doors from Room 3 into Rooms 4 and 5 will be wire mesh as will be the top third of the wall between rooms 4 and 5.

For reference the top of the drawing (wall with 2 windows) is south. For both rooms 4 & 5 we will build a 4 hole (2 high x 2 wide) nest boxes into the wall between the doors so that eggs can be collected from room 3. The roosts will be along the far end (west wall) of both rooms 4 & 5 with a pop door to the outside under the roosts. One pop door will go into a large outdoor run, the other will go into a smaller run I think.

My current coop has a pop door and run out the bottom (north) wall of room 1 and that will remain.

I do have a separate summer coop and run that will house about 50 birds (25 each in two sides) as well.

Moving your farm will be a big task this summer. But having things set up more how you want them will be great once it's complete. Although for us it seems like you are never done, another project started before you even finish the last one!

#7 2012-01-23 02:18:12

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Good questions, good answers!   How exciting! Lucky you guys being able to build what you like, not sure -40*C is worth it though :nervous:

Stefan that is quite a big job for you at least you have access to both properties all year, right.  Are you guys trading? How soon do you have to be off/out of your present place. 

Can you make any of your coops "mobile", use of hay wagon bases or anything, that is what we are going here for now for the turkeys.  It'll be 8' wide  by 16' or 20' long.  Or even Sea Can containers, would they work, they are not pretty though.  Thing is with a wagon,  it wouldn't disturb the birds much and easy to build and you could build it while you live where you are.  They may be a bit small, but if you have a few in a poultry netted area in summer that would work, then move them somewhere more sheltered and easy access for winter.  Just a thought anyway.

#8 2012-01-23 03:12:20

gubi
Website

Claire I spent more time at the farm then I do at home anyways and always kept one breed there in the summer time.  I have a coop in the shop at the farm that is 4 by 12.  I'm looking for something to plan/built/buy now so I will be ready for when we move and for next winter.  The plan to switch is sometimes early summer holidays so the kids settle in until they go back to school.  We haven't worked out all the details yet.  I think the move will be harder for my parents then for us. 
http://www.horizonstructures.com/storag … n-coop.asp
I like the look of these coops but I don't like where they place the nest boxes.  But all the coops that I looked at so far where built with the nests at floor level, must be cheaper to built that way.  I stopped in in Teviotdale on Saturday and theirs nests are at the same place and I stopped in the Lucan Lawn Furniture in Elginfield today and their nests are even worse.  They have a really low roof on theirs and they have a roll out nest down that low where you can only open a tiny roof part where the eggs should roll out to.  I have to find some Mennonites, I'm sure they have a better design but then again most of them keep their layers upstairs in the barn in cages.
I have looked at our bale thrower wagons before as they have racks all the way around to make them into coops,  Not sure what my dad would say to that idea.:chairhide:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2012-01-24 02:16:40

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

This Horizon look nice.  The Mennonites will do a good job and the rough lumber will be much cheaper.  The climates are so different for PG and us, much drier there, I wonder how a straw bale coop would fare here as it can be wet and windy.  We want the next coops quite insulated as the birds eat less when they are warmer. 

The turkey wagon is a bit of a dud that rolls very poorly any distance, it was cheap on Kijiji so it's perfect.  I wouldn't use any of those nice metal ones for round bales.

#10 2012-02-04 02:17:31

gubi
Website

PG how high off the floor do you put your nests?   how do you access the eggs if you have them two high?

#11 2012-02-04 13:16:26

poplar girl
Administrator

gubi wrote:

PG how high off the floor do you put your nests?   how do you access the eggs if you have them two high?

My current nest boxes are only one high so this will be a new set-up. The bottom of them is about 20 inches off the ground which I think is a good height. For these I was planning to start at about the same height so top of the highest row (it will be a 2 wide by 2 high design for each half of the coop) will only be about 4.5 ft high. Even for me (I am only 5 ft!) that should be no problem.

I will have the ability to close the nest boxes off to the chickens as I find sometimes you have one that likes to sleep in the nest boxes or if you are raising young birds you don't want them to be in there. And there will be an access door from the other room for egg collecting. Exactly how we do the doors with these new nest I am not sure yet. My old ones we just have a hinged door on the inside and one on the outside.

#12 2012-02-04 13:40:25

gubi
Website

Thanks PG I'll likely have many more questions until I have a coop at the dairy farm.  Your door on the nest are they the roof or the side wall of the nest?  I think if I put in outside nests and use the roof as the door I'll get rain into the nests too?

#13 2012-02-12 15:51:17

poplar girl
Administrator

Well change of plans. My DH bought a used coal heating system with a bin last weekend. We are now planning to build a gambrel roof barn with infloor heating instead of building onto the coop. I will post pictures and plans but the current plan is for a 24ft x 40ft barn...and I will be setting it up for chickens! It is as still seeming a bit unreal right now but I am starting to get excited!

#14 2012-02-12 16:02:09

gubi
Website

WOW!!  That sounds awesome!

#15 2012-02-12 19:51:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:congrats: That is great, a dream barn, I can't wait to hear more! :wine:

Adverts

Board footer