Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-04 20:57:02

Lindy Lou

What Books to buy

As my brain is beginning to stop working I need a challenge or two. Can anyone suggest some books to buy that will teach me How to make Cheese, Butter etc. How to grow vegetables in Raised beds and How to raise goats. That should do for starters and keep me out of trouble for a while :whistle:
:thanks:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-02-04 20:57:35)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-02-04 20:57:02

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-04 21:53:28

Flat Rock Farm

Re: What Books to buy

Keep you out of trouble  :funny:  Are you thinking about goats now........does John know :whistle:  Sorry off topic :duh: I can't help you out with the book suggestions never get a chance to read much :sad:

#3 2012-02-04 22:03:29

Susan
Administrator

How about "the Self Sufficient Life and How to Live It" by john Seymour (I think) its not that detailed, but covers a lot of titles.

#4 2012-02-04 22:46:39

NaturesPace
Website

Great book about goats "goat song" is a novel.
Storeys book on dairy goats is a good starting point for reference type of book.
Holy shit by gene logsdon is really good
Living a natures pace by logsdon
Seed to seed by ashworth
How to grow more vegetables... John Jeavons

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2012-02-04 23:12:33

Lindy Lou

Well Paula perhaps if you took the time to read you would keep out of trouble too :funny: John was talking about keeping a goat because we don't have room for a cow :whistle: So if that happens I need to know how to look after one, how to milk it and how to make cheese. It's certainly something to think about.
Off topic but the brooder room is almost done so when we go on our trip  :roadtrip:     we need to talk about hatching eggs. :jumping: :jumping::hatch: :chickout:
Thanks for the book titles  Naturespace and Susan I'll check them out

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-02-04 23:13:52)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#6 2012-02-04 23:58:12

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: I could just picture you milking a goat, goes right up there with acting as midwife to an egg bound chicken :funny:

Sure just shoot me an email about the eggs.

#7 2012-02-05 04:01:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Vegetable Gardener's Bible Ed Smith is AWESOME!  We got it 12 years ago when it came out and that's the main one we use, it's all organic too for pests etc.  The Lazy Vegetable Gardener,

"The self sufficient life and how to live it" is great.  "Barnyard in your back yard" is pretty good and has a bit of everything in it animal wise.  I have a couple of dairy ones but have hardly used them.  The next cheese book will be the recipe book from Glengarry Cheese in |Eastern Ontario they sell the exact cultures for the recipes too.

Youtube is great for the butter making! After we screwed it up the first time, we watched a video on there and made it just fine.  Sausage filling technique, building a solar wax melter and arcane skills are all on there.

I'll take a look through my book shelf and list a few more tomorrow!

#8 2012-02-05 12:40:53

Maggiesdad

You Tube is very valuable, but a book in the hand is some much more useful than an evaporated internet.  :wise:

#9 2012-02-05 13:11:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The recipes come from the books and know-how comes from the You tube! :jumping:  When we were butchered a pig a few years go into chops and hams etc, we had Nathan's lap top on the kitchen on the photo of a pig with dotted lines on it reading from what rib to what rib you take your chops from!

Actually this is something I love about forums, people can tell you exactly what they did and you can ask questions if it messes up or you are not sure.  Books can be a bit stiff, formal and proper and don't always give you the pitfalls or how not tos!  Saying that, I have well over a thousands non fiction books I refer to when needed.  They can be like old friends, specially the cook books.  :thumbsup:

#10 2012-02-05 13:24:17

Maggiesdad

True that!  :applause:

Adverts

Board footer