Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-01 01:57:12

Island Girl

Hobble for chick toes

:chickout:   I am posting this because I think it may be useful for some of us now that chick hatching has begun. I thought I had it posted somewhere on here but that may have been on ACE, I don't mind if it needs to be redirected or deleted.

When I had a couple chicks hatch with crooked toes I tried the band-aids and the pipe cleaners but I had much better luck with something else. I prepared little squares of scotch tape and had them in an easy to reach place. Then I placed the chicks foot on top of one piece (sticky side up), I would even use tweezers gently to line those itty bitty toes up the best I could. Press down firmly and then place the second piece of tape on top of the foot and press down firmly again. Then I used scizzors to trim around the foot to make it a little less bulky. I made a fresh dressing every day (sometimes twice/day) so that the toes were being corrected in the right place. This really did work for me. I also made sure that I marked the chicks that I did this too and I am glad I did because you may not want to breed this chicks in the future, it works so well that it may be difficult to know who is who down the road. If the chicks are having trouble standing on their legs I put them in a little ramkin dish at night time so the weight of their body forced the leg down into proper placement also the ramkin dish doesn't allow them to stick the legs in a weird position. Hope this helps someone in need!

XOX Monika

2012-02-01 01:57:12

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-01 02:01:41

Susan
Administrator

Re: Hobble for chick toes

That's awesome Monika, thank you for writing that out. I know I am going to bookmark this thread, just in case!

#3 2012-02-01 02:11:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:thanks: Monika  I stickied it so it's up top!

#4 2012-04-06 17:30:54

NaturesPace
Website

I tried a method with bandaids and cardboard that didn't work nearly as well as tape to tape.
thanks IG.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2012-04-06 22:59:35

Island Girl

NP you are very welcome. It worked so well for me that I had to make sure that I banded the birds that I used it on so that I would remember who was who. Using the little cup for them really facilitated the proper leg placement too. Its sharing all these little bits of knowledge that help each other. :thumbsup:

XPX Monika

#6 2012-04-06 23:04:38

ChestnutRidge
Website

I'll be using your method as well, and I refered another person on the Easter Hatch on BYC, too.
:cheer: Fabulous advice!

Adverts

Board footer