Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-14 18:22:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

My little scruffies

Check out the black on the Wheatens....I think they are both male or the second one is a very dark female

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6514.jpg

The lav orps are friendliest/greediest

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6522.jpg

2011-07-14 18:22:42

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-14 23:38:07

Susan
Administrator

Re: My little scruffies

Oh, look at them! Sweet!

#3 2011-07-15 00:24:58

poplar girl
Administrator

Such a proud mama! They look so comfortable in their tractor.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-07-15 10:25:46

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

There's 2 mommas in there both chanteclers .....  Isn't the little lav ameraucana a little ugly duckling on the left.... looks like it has bedhead too!  Those lav orps come up to me for strawberries, always thinking of their bellies!

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6516.jpg

#5 2011-07-15 12:12:01

poplar girl
Administrator

Some people seem to think chicks go through an ugly duckling stage...funny I now think they look cute at all stages, even when the chick fluff is half falling out and the new feathers haven't come in yet. Big difference in the lacing (or is it pencilling?) on your two mama hens isn't there?

Your lavender orps are very pretty SLF (yes even bed head is pretty in my eyes). Do the hens lay well?

I need to post pics of my little lavender d'uccles (speaking if purple chooks), they are the sweetest. I let them out of their tractor yesterday which they love :love: but then one of the cats started to chase them so I think they are just too tiny to range free (don't tell them that!). One of the boys (no beard so not a keeper) has developed the yellow on his hackle feathers, I am waiting to see if either or both of my bearded boys do. One boy is SO tiny!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2011-07-15 13:22:37

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The one hen is performance poultry and is a big friendly hen (and turns out a good momma too) so I ended up keeping her as a layer, the other with the precision lacing is a John Blehm.  They are both great momma.  nothing nasty in the chanty coops downstairs, the one that raised the first chanties is now sitting again!  Chickees Mom's rooster is the dad and he is small but beautifully marked, so I may keep the odd baby!  The roo is so timid, totally different to the John Blehm one.  The temperament is so variable in them.

The lav orps lay very well (pretty well every day 10-14 eggs per week in the winter) unless you disturb or move them, then no eggs for a month! :huh:  That happened twice!  I was able to send  a dozen hatching eggs many times from 2 hens this winter.  The eggs are very large just  bit bigger than the EOs, and just fit in an egg carton!  I bet the d'uccles are sweet!  Can't wait to see pics!

#7 2011-07-15 20:16:43

Flat Rock Farm

Oh very cute Claire, and yes I think that darker Wheaton is a young roo, just look at the comb.  What a difference in the two hens, not to dys Performance but I have found sometimes the quality is not there.  I got GLW bantams and only one has decent lacing the rest are either a lot of gold or the lacing is washy, yet the SL Cochin bantam the lacing is beautiful???

#8 2011-07-16 02:12:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I was going to let her go as a layer, and I messed up last summer and couldn't find her that day and gave them a way better pencilled one from performance too.  There were two really nice ones from there.  It is hit and miss with the big hatcheries outsourcing, I think it can vary within the season too.  We had Modern games (all roos) the first year from McMurrays and they were like clones and when we took them to the fur and feather, the show guys loved them and wanted to know where we got them!  Same with the Partridge Cochin standard , but the silver laced cochins were all over the place.  I know the Performance Chanteclers are better than they were even the previous 2 years.  I think it depends which they breed and select there or whether they outsource the supply of eggs.

Yes the newer feathers are darker, just not as black as the other one yet!

Adverts

Board footer