Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-11 04:18:43

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Specky and his girls! In the breeding pen! New Pics Heavy!

I will add more pics tomorrow I have tons, I am beat, I just drove close to 4 hours to Lindsay area to work this week! 

I am putting Blondie in on her own with the son too,  I'm giving her a few days in their breeding pen on her own as she is majorly broody and I don't want him to bug her too much.  I may dilute his affections with the sumatras, as they are trying to flirt with Speckled Jim through the cage and the son is harder on the girls than speckled Jim is.  They just have a tiny but of wing feather wear with him, the son definitely wore more feathers off. 

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6463.jpg

2011-07-11 04:18:43

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-11 11:33:44

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Specky and his girls! In the breeding pen! New Pics Heavy!

Were the girls in with other Roos Claire such that you need to wait a few weeks to a month before collecting eggs? These girls would all be his daughters I guess? Their saddles are sure cute!

My old fellow does not seem hard on his two girls at all, they are still together in the tractor. That said, provided the eggs are fertile because of his efforts (I waited 3 weeks so you would think he is the daddy) they are all fertile.

Where do you put all the roosters when they are not with the girls? Do you keep them all separate or together and let them hash it out? I think I need more tractors...
I have a tendency to leave the rooster in with the girls. I guess I should learn to separate them once I am not collecting eggs.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-07-11 12:33:01

gubi
Website

:thumbsup:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2011-07-11 12:42:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The only rooster they have been with since the end of May is the Bantam duccle  and I ampretty sure he can't reach.  I think he is responsible for the non saddled one's Baldy area above her back. He wasin withforty hens maybe lll get nathan to crack a few open or label todays so I  can check when I get home. I will collect once I think they are fertile.  I think well be lucky to get any eggs from the maternal line with the broodiness. 

I guess any feather legs should be a tell tale and insane friendliness! If anyone else wants eggs I will collect them after four weeks unlessthey sayit is ok so there is no risk of crossing.  Lisa I got your pm!

Scuze typos iPhone :chook:

My Roos are in two groups but I plan to put them all togetheron the weekend.  The one group of spares have been together since November they may spar now with specky out as he was top dog.  The others were together since may and were my breeders.  I have one little chanty roo that I left in with my broodies and I will move him with the others when I move both groups to a third location outside.  In the confusion he should blend in.  He is very timid and I would put him in either camp on his own.  Gotta run have a patient :thumbsup:

#5 2011-07-11 13:10:14

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I keep the Roos together unless there is an individual that is extra strong or extra wimpy.  That's why my little duccle roo is in with the girls.  I figured he'd be harmless in there!

Carolyn jones made the saddles!

#6 2011-07-11 13:38:39

Flat Rock Farm

Your roo is beautiful, can't wait until my boys get their long tail feathers.  The saddles you got from Carolyn Jones, is she cjones on PSO???  Some of my poor girls look horrible and really need some.

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2011-07-11 13:40:29)

#7 2011-07-11 14:27:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks Paula! I still have to pick out the old pics of him where he is not so white. He is three, look at his spurs.  He is a real character and has never taken a nip peck or run at me in 3 years.  He loves a cuddle and when enclosed in a run like that will go up and down the near side of it when he sees me.  A perfect roo, kind to the girls and everything and is big enough for a good cuddle.

Yep that's her.  =D A handful of my others still have theirs on.  They are cute saddles and fit pretty well some are larger and better for the orps.

#8 2011-07-11 17:02:27

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Love the look of the hens.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#9 2011-07-11 20:38:59

Flat Rock Farm

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Thanks Paula! I still have to pick out the old pics of him where he is not so white. He is three, look at his spurs.  He is a real character and has never taken a nip peck or run at me in 3 years.  He loves a cuddle and when enclosed in a run like that will go up and down the near side of it when he sees me.  A perfect roo, kind to the girls and everything and is big enough for a good cuddle.

Yep that's her.  =D A handful of my others still have theirs on.  They are cute saddles and fit pretty well some are larger and better for the orps.

Thanks Claire, I will have to get in touch with her, it's my Silver Laced Wyandottes that need them right now.  Poor girls look horrible, funny thing is for all their bare backs I had very low fertility with them this year, was very disappointed as they are Bill Gardhouse's line and are beautiful birds.  I have two roos in with six hens, figured that was a pretty good ratio????

#10 2011-07-12 00:05:40

poplar girl
Administrator

I am scared to combine roosters. But man would that make things easier. Might need to try it.

And NO tempting me with eggs! Must stop! I am wishing I could have gotten a few with your Speckled Jim as the daddy.

I am always so excited to hear about well behaved Roos. I have had some bad experiences and am still a bit worried about roosters turning mean. I will not keep around boys that can't behave.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2011-07-12 01:10:50

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

poplar girl wrote:

I am scared to combine roosters. But man would that make things easier. Might need to try it.

And NO tempting me with eggs! Must stop! I am wishing I could have gotten a few with your Speckled Jim as the daddy.

I am always so excited to hear about well behaved Roos. I have had some bad experiences and am still a bit worried about roosters turning mean. I will not keep around boys that can't behave.

It's not so bad to combine, works best when they were brooded/raised together or blended at a few months old if they are 3 weeks apart in age in hatch groups.  Ours run together all summer then the keepers all go in the pens together.  We never ever do a major move and not be at home the next day to supervise and keep and eye on them.  We watch how they behave in the summer any nasties or untrustworthies for in the freezer, I don't sell them.  Twice I have let them go to people because they really wanted them or hoped to get a few chicks from them (telling them the history), and both times those birds eventually misbehaved again.  Right Paula?  There's too many unwanted nice roosters in the world, so we will often keep the nicest natured anyway. 

If we have a beauty who is fine with us but a bruiser with the other roos, or a total victim, then we will be prepared to take them out quick and house them on their own of with a similarly "gifted" buddy if they are weaker.  One of the BLRWS was like that, by December it was obvious, so he was the first to go in with his women for breeding, and he went to a new home with the hens, so I never put him back in with the others.  I would never put just one roo in with an established stable batchelor pen, I'd probably take 1-2 out for a day or two, put them with the other dude, watching them carefully and being home, then put all 2-3 of them in the coop at night after a few days.  Like that single chanty roo, I haven't put him in, but have him housed Ok on his own with a couple of hens, but will have him blend in in the confusion and all 3 groups of roos get moved to a new location.  If I had put the breeder roos in with the spares, they may have been OK then too, but I'd rather put them all together when they have more space to get away.

For Dorkings, I was told by Randy Spencer to be careful of mixing them with other breeds, specially leghorns!  They can be stubborn little fighters and we had one break his neck right in front of us when sparring with a wellie hen they were first put together for the winter and he was gone in an instant, not a mark on him.  They are at a disadvantage because they are short, but are still rammy enough to get themselves into trouble.  You could probably house them with the Duccles and then all the EOs together in 2 groups, but you know I think the EOs would be the boss if you put them all in.  I read this on one of the Spanish websites, the EO will fight and once pecking order is established they don't bother again.  Seems pretty true, so if you tried them with the dorks, watch them close, but I bet the Dorks would be pushing buttons and challenging.  How much the dorkings did that would dictate your success I think.  But you could try, just be around.

Paula your SLW are big hens aren't they?  Shame about the fertility as they are gorgeous.  I`d think that was plenty of roos for the hens.  Maybe its all that fluff.  I have an aversion to vent plucking though, it can`t be much fun for the birds, but if it gets to that, then maybe they aren`t self sustaining breeds any more! :huh:  The saddles will look cute on them!

#12 2011-07-12 02:12:48

poplar girl
Administrator

SLF yes the dorkings seem to be causing me trouble. I put my new year+ SGD rooster in with my April boys, he is fine. But the 5 April dorks have had trouble, not because they are picked on by the 11 EOs but because they start the fight. I moved one dork out yesterday as he has no tail left. I though the EOs were picking on him and then when i spent some time watching he was constanty challenging and pecking at other roosters. So now he is on his own to think about things for a few days.

I will need to think alot about which roosters to keep. I just don't have heated winter space for too many and I refuse to let feet or combs freeze. It will be tough to decide who to keep. I suspect disposition will end up counting as much as looks. I mentioned in passing to DH the possibility of some cages in the garage...I got "the look" but not a flat out no so I think maybe here is hope. One little EO rooster that runs at top speed for me then lays like a rag doll in my arms for petting is looking pretty good right now. Has never pecked me once either.

#13 2011-07-12 02:19:26

Flat Rock Farm

Claire, yes my SLW hens are big about a good 8lbs. and Arthur my older rooster is a good 12lbs.  Yes, it is too bad they are beautiful, I had so many people wanting eggs but had a few people plus myself did test runs and I think only one hatched. The Wyandottes are another of my favorite breeds so docile and the BLR's I got from you are so friendly, just love them.:love: Will post some pictures soon.

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2011-07-12 11:35:57)

#14 2011-07-12 02:28:07

Lindy Lou

I have two beautiful SLW's both from Bill too. Mine were very slow to start laying and even now they are not  very good layers and the size of their egg is disappointing. However saying that ,they are so pretty that I don't mind so much about the lack of eggs.
LL

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#15 2011-07-14 01:54:10

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Those dorkies can get themselves into trouble!!  I love roosters that go like a rag doll when you pick them up!  I bet those SLWs are striking.  My sumatras don't lay many eggs, but they are cool looking, not as pretty as your SLWS but awesome pets not kept for their laying prowess ;)

Ok let's try some more pictures!!

So they are in the tall tractor!
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6421.jpg

Specky hanging out at my side of the run -  he runs up and down when he sees you!
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6554.jpg

2 of the hens, one a yellow legger and one a white :chook:
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6511.jpg

Specky standing nicely!
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6510.jpg

I'll do some more pictures tomorrow at work if I get a minute,  My hotel internet is bogging down and I don't want to lose these ones I have already done.

Adverts

Board footer