Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-12-26 18:15:35

pops coops
Website

Wild rice cranberry stuffing

I posted this on the Turkey post as well.

1 1/2 cups of wild rice, soaked at least 24 hours, then cooked, 1 loaf 100% whole wheat bread or multi grain (you can use white). In a fry pan cook 2 cups chopped celery, 1 med to large onion chopped, and 1/2 to 3/4 pound of butter, 2 large tablespoons of poultry seasoning 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. When the Celery and onions are just tender add the wild rice drained, save cooking water for gravy if you desire. I use my sink washed and dried and put the bread (that is cubed the night before and left in a pan open), in the sink, after the contents of the fry pan have cooled pour into the sink or large bowl and mix well, adding one 200g bag of dried cranberries, stuff the bird and cook. This stuffing is fantastic but don’t do what I did today and after the bird is in the oven remember that you forgot the dried cranberries, OH well.

Last edited by pops coops (2011-12-26 19:59:31)

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

2011-12-26 18:15:35

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-12-27 08:16:35

Skylinepoultry
Website

Re: Wild rice cranberry stuffing

I love me some Cranberries. Thanks Pops coops.

#3 2011-12-28 04:21:00

Island Girl

mmmm this is so close to my bread stuffing recipe, I would love to add cranberries next time around. I love cranberries! Can you add the fresh ones that you boil to make cranberry sauce? I don't think I have ever seen dried cranberries, is it the same as craisins?

XOX Monika

#4 2011-12-28 04:30:20

pops coops
Website

Island Girl wrote:

mmmm this is so close to my bread stuffing recipe, I would love to add cranberries next time around. I love cranberries! Can you add the fresh ones that you boil to make cranberry sauce? I don't think I have ever seen dried cranberries, is it the same as craisins?

XOX Monika

Yes craisins are the same walmar has them under there name as dried cranberries, I make an awsome cranberry sauce with fresh or frozen ones not traditional

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.

#5 2011-12-28 22:05:06

Susan
Administrator

Ooh yes Monika! You should make some- I had it for lunch today 'cause Pops brought me some and it was awesome :)

#6 2011-12-28 23:17:28

pops coops
Website

Did you share

#7 2011-12-29 03:40:32

Lisa

Pops,

Thanks so much for the stuffing recipe! My family loved it.... I wasn't able to find wild rice in my neighborhood, so I substituted a brown rice/wild rice combo, and it worked well!

The turkey came out beautifully... Thanks for all the help everyone! (butter and rosemary under the skin, sitting on a bed of carrots and parsnips, basted in gingerale....) Heritage birds are SOOO much better! =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#8 2011-12-29 14:39:52

Susan
Administrator

Basted in gingerale?? What a neat idea!

Adverts

Board footer