Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-12-13 11:17:47

choctawgal
Website

New EO Convert in SW Washington, USA

Hi! I'm very happy to have found the EO forum, and look forward to learning more about this beautiful and very friendly breed!

I grew up on a small family farm, and 25 years after leaving my parents' property, have finally moved back to the country on our own little 2 acre slice of heaven.  My hunny, "Pupp," is very amused by (and tolerant of!!) our menagerie of heritage breed chickens.  LOL  So far I'm very enchanted by the antics of a few select individuals in the flock... especially my two pet Frizzles and one almost blind Ameracauna (She is only 8mos and has milky, almost opaque, pupils!!) who follow us both around like puppies!

I've been searching for a heritage breed layer/dual-purpose breed who has personality and friendliness to equal or rival those three and the "Wellsumer Gang" girls--in our flock!  So far, it seems that the EO's are just what I'm looking for...and WOW, they are uniquely beautiful too!

Pupp just bought an incubator for my BD, and I can't wait to give hatching a batch of EO's a try... after I get a little hatching experience under my belt with eggs from our blue laced red Wyandotte hens/rooster! (Pupp's favorites!)

Thanks for being here!  :thumbs:  I'm looking forward to meeting other EO lovers and learning more!

Yakoke! (Choctaw--"Thank you!")

Jenn Nashoba
SW Washington, USA

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

2011-12-13 11:17:47

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-12-13 11:54:51

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Re: New EO Convert in SW Washington, USA

:welcome:  :EO:  This place is packed with good people and good advice.  Welcome aboard!

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#3 2011-12-13 12:16:54

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: and thank you for joining us!

Sounds like you have a great place there on your 2 acres piece of paradise.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-12-13 13:15:41

Susan
Administrator

Welcome! You won't be disappointed :EO: what kind of incubator do you have? I also have a little frizzle roo. He's quite the character- he has no idea he's so little!

#5 2011-12-13 13:19:25

Lindy Lou

:welcome:
You will love having EO's and the people on this forum are the best.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#6 2011-12-13 14:46:37

pops coops
Website

:welcome: and the nice thing about the people on this site is we don't get carried away and go overboard. You will enjoy the EOs

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#7 2011-12-13 15:01:58

Susan
Administrator

pops coops wrote:

:welcome: and the nice thing about the people on this site is we don't get carried away and go overboard. You will enjoy the EOs

:lol:

#8 2011-12-13 15:39:05

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hi Jenn, :hi: I am so glad you found us! :EO: as you are about to find out.  I think they will fit in well, it sounds like your birds have a great life!  I love Wellies, they are so friendly too and the eggs so pretty!!    We love friendly chickens here, and you may hear Belgian D'Uccles mentioned as well!  =D 

James (Skyline poultry) is your best bet for eggs in the US.  Our Euskal Oiloa crazed members :Crazy: are very helpful and would love to help.  We have lots of great info on the site on the EOs and chickens in general.  Like hatching help etc. 

I love your avatar, that is hilarious! :thumbs:

Enjoy the site :welcome:

#9 2011-12-13 17:19:03

Island Girl

:welcome: from Vancouver Island. There is so much information on this site and many friendly people. Glad you found us! :EO:

XOX Monika

#10 2011-12-13 18:13:16

gubi
Website

:welcome: :EO:  I think the EO's will do great for you.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2011-12-13 19:10:49

Maggiesdad

:welcome: Choctawgal!  :hi:

#12 2011-12-13 23:01:08

Lisa

:welcome: Jenn! Awesome avatar....

Yup, let James at Skyline know you want eggs - he's got a waiting list, and until the babies from some of our other chums grow up, he's your most likely source for eo's in the US (boy, isn't it funny that there is something that is easier to get in Canada???)

If you want hatching help, you've come to the right place! There are eo lovers on this forum that are so enchanted with their birds they have just finished hatching (see pretty pictures?) or are in the process right now, even though it's winter (that's the joke from Pops). Gotta tell you though, we are all terrible enablers! =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#13 2011-12-14 04:53:41

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:welcome:

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#14 2011-12-14 17:48:08

Flat Rock Farm

Jenn a BIG :welcome: to the EO site, you have come to the right place if you are interested in these beautiful friendly birds :thumbs:

:EO:

#15 2011-12-19 09:27:27

choctawgal
Website

Susan wrote:

Welcome! You won't be disappointed :EO: what kind of incubator do you have? I also have a little frizzle roo. He's quite the character- he has no idea he's so little!

Thank you for the warm welcome!  I have a Hovabator 1582R picture window with egg turner and additional quail racks that we found on ebay for less than $50--due to arrive by the end of Tuesday... so says the tracking number, at least.  LOL  I believe the thermostat is a wafer.

Zizzle, our Frizzle is, shall I say... cock-sure that he is the biggest boy in the yard, but it doesn't stop him from pestering me until he gets his tummy scratched!  I've seen him win a stare off with Baby Huey--a fully grown Light Brahma!  He's mostly black with a few little deep red feathers on his neck, while his hatch-mate, Jenny (Weasley), is all red.

Everyone here has made me feel right at home!  I even see another member not too far away, comparatively!  (Waving to Island Girl)

My best!  Thank you again!!  :love::thumbs:

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.

#16 2011-12-19 09:42:36

choctawgal
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

James (Skyline poultry) is your best bet for eggs in the US.  Our Euskal Oiloa crazed members :Crazy: are very helpful and would love to help.  We have lots of great info on the site on the EOs and chickens in general.  Like hatching help etc. 

I love your avatar, that is hilarious! :thumbs:

Thank you for the info on hatching eggs!  That will certainly come in handy this spring! :chickout:

Crazed members... sounds like home to me!  *chuckling*  :funny:

Thank you for the avatar compliment!  I can't remember where I found it, but fell in love with it!  Many of my friends and family call me "Mother Clucker" in regards to how much fun I'm having with my girls... and how I always seem to be doing something chicken related!! 

My hunny is an artist, and will be making a line drawing of it for me for my next tattoo!!  I LOVE the Russian Icon style its done in!  (And it sure fits this season! :xmas: )

Again, Yakoke!
:thumbsup:
Jenn

#17 2011-12-19 09:48:43

choctawgal
Website

Island Girl wrote:

:welcome: from Vancouver Island. There is so much information on this site and many friendly people. Glad you found us! :EO:

XOX Monika

I'm REALLY glad to have found you!!!

Nice to meet you, Monika!  Its always great to find neighbors... I've been up to Vancouver Island a few times and love how beautiful it is up there!!!  Of course, every time I go I can't resist going to Murchie's Teas in Victoria! :roadtrip:

My best!

Jenn

#18 2011-12-19 18:10:46

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

choctawgal you and Island girl must be way closer to each other than you are to anyone else! :thumbs: 

It totally sound like you are in the right place, being crazy about chickens!  What's funny is you have no idea you are going to be crazy :Crazy: about them til you get them! :layer:

#19 2011-12-19 19:18:26

choctawgal
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

choctawgal you and Island girl must be way closer to each other than you are to anyone else! :thumbs: 

It totally sound like you are in the right place, being crazy about chickens!  What's funny is you have no idea you are going to be crazy :Crazy: about them til you get them! :layer:

What is really funny is that I live only minutes from "the other" Vancouver... Washington state! 

You are completely right about the chicken crazies!... the joys of "chicken math!"  LOL

Jenn

#20 2011-12-20 03:17:16

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I had no idea there was another Vancouver :chairhide:  I bet it is beautiful where you live. I know they grow lots of lavender in Washington State! :thumbs:

#21 2011-12-20 03:30:45

Susan
Administrator

Hmm... You are close enough to pick up groceries! Our eggs up here are very good you know,lol :)

#22 2011-12-20 05:47:56

Island Girl

choctawgal wrote:

Island Girl wrote:

XOX Monika

Nice to meet you, Monika!  Its always great to find neighbors... I've been up to Vancouver Island a few times and love how beautiful it is up there!!!  Of course, every time I go I can't resist going to Murchie's Teas in Victoria! :roadtrip:

My best!

Jenn

I have been to Murchie's Teas in Victoria, it is one of my girlfriends favorite places to browse around! I'm thinking that if you are ever in Victoria it would be so neat to meet up.  :hi: Waving back at you!

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2013-03-24 03:03:52)

#23 2011-12-27 07:21:37

choctawgal
Website

Island Girl wrote:

choctawgal wrote:

Island Girl wrote:

XOX Monika

My best!

Jenn

I have been to Murchie's Teas in Victoria, it is one of my girlfriends favorite places to browse around! I'm thinking that if you are ever in Victoria it would be so neat to meet up. Hmmmm, you might have to take some EO eggs back with you :whistle: When the weather permits it :cozy: and oh yah I guess it would be good if my pullets were laying too :funny: I can't wait for that first egg!!  :hi: Waving back at you!

XOX Monika

That's a deal, Monika!  :hi:

I've been known to take the trip up for something as trivial as a flu shot a couple years ago!  :sick:

I'll be getting my first 3 doz EO eggs from Skyline farms this spring, and then I can very easily see us exchanging different chooks to help each others flocks' genetic variation in the future.  :chook:  (:please: :funny: I don't suppose you would want a chocolate female llama, would you?? :please: :funny:)

If you find yourself in either Portland, Oregon :rain:  or in the FIRST Vancouver (WA, USA), you will always have at least "three hots and a cot" at our farm!  :wine:

Our very best:
Jenn (Me), Catherine (the wife), Jett (Blk Lab mobility service dog), and Tank Girl (Yellow Lab mobility service dog)
:hohoho:

#24 2011-12-28 04:04:12

Island Girl

Haha a chocolate Llama, I'm still trying to convince hubby we need to move to a bigger acreage so that I can get one of Debbie's baby goats come spring! She will soon have to break it to her hubby that in fact her 2 new Nubian goats are pregnant :whistle: but thats her story to tell :funny:

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2013-03-24 03:04:57)

Adverts

Board footer