Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-12-22 06:02:14

NaturesPace
Website

Merrick's vaccine: yes or no?

Hi I'm new to hatching chicks and was wondering if people vaccinate against Merrick's. The chickens i used to have were NOT vaccinated and they never got sick. I also never wormed them. There weren't any previous poultry living at the property, so I figured there wasn't much of a risk.

We are at a new location and will have all new housing, food and water container, so again it doesnt seem like much of a risk. The biggest difference will be that we have a flock of Guineas and I'm not sure if they were vaccinated. (I'm not even sure if Guineas can get/carry Merrick's)

The eggs I'm going to hatch are from at least two different sources. Should I vaccinate for Merrick's? If so, what is a good source for buying some of the vaccine? Online, the vet, feed store...?

Last edited by naturespace (2011-12-22 06:03:44)

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2011-12-22 06:02:14

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-12-22 12:34:48

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Merrick's vaccine: yes or no?

:welcome: naturespace!

A good question you ask and I am interested to see the responses.
I do not vaccinate my birds for merricks and so far have not had a problem. I don't think any unvaccinated flock is safe from it though so I am aware I take a risk by not vaccinating. I don't believe vaccinated birds are carriers of it as is the case for some forms of ILT vaccinated birds so even if part of your flock is vaccinated it should not create a problem. I have also read about some flocks having natural resistance to merricks built up through natural selection but I don't know much about that either.   

Where to get the vacicine etc. will depend on where you are located. It would be wonderful if you could add that info to your profile =D it would be great to hear more about you as well! Is see in another post you are looking to get EOs, must be from Skyline? :EO:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-12-22 13:56:55

Lindy Lou

I have just read about Marek's in the Chicken Health Book and it says " if your chickens breathe than they have been exposed to Marek's. It is present in probably every flock and is very common. Chicks that are isolated away from adults until around 5 months of age develop a natural immunity that will help them overcome Mareks exposure as adults. Therefore if it was me I would rather raise my chicks in a separate area away from adults and let them develop their own natural imunity.
The vaccine must be delivered by injection and done as soon after hatch as possible should you decide to go that route :chickout:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2011-12-22 15:34:48

NaturesPace
Website

poplar girl wrote:

Where to get the vacicine etc. will depend on where you are located. It would be wonderful if you could add that info to your profile =D it would be great to hear more about you as well! Is see in another post you are looking to get EOs, must be from Skyline?

I have updated my profile. I'm in Virginia. And yes, I'm getting eggs from Skyline.

Very exciting!

Thanks for the warm welcome and info.

Last edited by naturespace (2011-12-22 15:36:26)

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2011-12-22 16:13:28

Flat Rock Farm

Well I don't Marek's vaccinate, I just can't bring myself to pocking those poor chicks in the neck with a needle.  You have to be so careful to administer it just under the skin until you see a little bubble.  I agree with Lindy Lou about having some of there own immunity, but if you even have an outbreak it can be devastating.  I vaccinate against ILT with a Non-shedding vaccine, it's easy just a drop in the eye once a year, chicks have to be 6 weeks or older to give them this.  If you ever get ILT you either have to cull your flock or keep a closed flock.  You will find out Heidi that raising chickens is great but can be very challenging at times especially if they get sick as poultry illness or diseases have very similar symptoms so is sometime extremely hard to figure out what is going on.

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2011-12-22 16:14:10)

#6 2011-12-22 16:48:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Good questions, and all great advice. I don't vaccinate for Mareks but any hatchery chicks I buy, I have them done. 

I could physically give them a needle so if anyone ever wants any help, I am sure I could do them. You really need large hatches all the same age to use up a vial of vaccine, if you have lots of little hatches you will  waste a lot vaccine, which is not  a big deal if you really want them vaccinated, that is the most important thing.  I'd do ILT over Mareks, as it is more devastating as Paula said, and I figure they'll have their own immunity here to Mareks.  I will get mine done for ILT in 2012 as we'll be hatching more :chickout:

If you get eggs from James at Skyline as what he does for vaccinations in your part of the world, if you get chicks, maybe he can already have them done if he does them.  Just a thought!  :thumbsup:

Adverts

Board footer