Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-12-13 01:57:40

Lisa

Need some help understanding breed standard

Evening EO'ers! =D

The following chart was my (slightly anal) attempt to understand the Spanish breed standard, as this is what I would like to aim for with my spring breeding. I am also planning on keeping in mind the APA requirement of 5 years of consistent breeding (50% or more birds reaching breed standard) and the need for showing birds, just in case there is an interest in 5 or 10 years to go for breed recognition. That means keeping records, and I know I'll only do it if it's easy! :thumbs: Please know that I am not suggesting anybody else needs to do this unless they feel like it - I just kinda like showing birds, and I'd like for our eo's to get more exposure and recognition (perhaps converting a few more fans!). It may also be that other people are breeding for things they like better than the Spanish standard, and that's totally cool too!!! (my favorite hen Peaches has white legs and a floppy comb....=D)

I spoke with someone who organizes a couple of poultry shows in this area - she indicated that if I could put together a breed standard description, she MIGHT consider allowing eo's in a show, if, if, if..... which was way better than a no! If we can put together something that a judge could use, I might even be able to talk one into rating birds at a show.

I tried to set up my "Spanish breed standard" chart with the "correct" version first, "major defect" next (which would equal a "disqualification" at a show) and "minor defects" last (representing point deductions, but not disqualifications). This was my best guess at the correct options, and you will note I had no idea about a bunch of things! I also included temperament (important to me even if the standards don't care!). It needs a really heavy edit - please, please, please! When we have something that looks ok, I'll fix it up in the chart, and email it to anybody who wants it.

Thanks for the input guys! =D

Spanish Standards: Rating for EO Maradunna males:

Size and Shape (males: 8 pounds, no idea about shape)

Comb (red, single & straight, 5-7 teeth) (major defects: clavell; side sprigs; straight and floppy)

Earlobes (red) (major defect: white)

Beak (yellow) (minor defect: black on top)

Legs and Feet (yellow) (major defect: white, blue, green, willow)

Tail (barred black and white) (major defect: completely white feather(s); minor defect: partial white feather(s))

Overall Colour (no idea how to describe it) (minor defects: grey overall, undercoat not ivory, white feathers in wings)

Temperament (friendly, good, ok, timid, aggressive)

Spanish Standards: Rating for EO Maradunna females

Size and Shape (females: 5 1/2 pounds, no idea about shape)

Comb (red, single & straight, 5-7 teeth) (major defects: clavell; side sprigs; straight and floppy)

Earlobes (red) (major defect: white)

Beak (yellow) (minor defect: black on top)

Legs and Feet (yellow) (major defect: white, blue, green, willow)

Tail (no idea) (defects: no idea)

Overall Colour (no idea) (defects: no idea)

Temperament (friendly, good, ok, timid, aggressive)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-12-13 01:57:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-12-13 02:10:58

gubi
Website

Re: Need some help understanding breed standard

Excellent post Lisa, I was thinking about this today too.  Here is the goggle translated Standard.  Maybe some of you could help put it into proper english.
goggle translated from here
http://www.eoalak.com/es/content/est%C3 … skal-oiloa

Avian breed standard oiloa euskal . (11/05/2000)

Made by: Joxean Mendizabal, Fernando Orozco, Amadeu Francesch, Mariano
Gomez, disclosing EOALAK Association.

Origin and general characteristics:

Dr. Fernando Orozco and his team in 1975, within a program location, preservation and study of native breeds of chickens held in the Department of Animal Genetics INIA introduced hens typical Basque farmhouses, with different colors and selected to obtain pure strains. Based on this work, Dr. Jose Antonio Mendizabal drafted the breed standard.

Bird is a medium-weight, simple peak and median tarsi red and yellow lugs.
It is a hardy breed and dual purpose: setting acceptable both as meat production.
Plumage: Fairly tight and round pen.
Eggs: Rather large , about 60 grams and brown shell.
Weight: about 3.6 kg Gallo - 2.5 kg hen
ring diameter (in mm.) Gallo 20 - Hen 18.

Morphology of the rooster

Head : Long and wide.

Face: Smooth and bright red.
Cresta: Simple, medium size, straight and steady. It presents five to seven well-defined teeth.
The spur appears slightly raised from the neckline. Bright red. Chins: Long, thin and smooth, rounded lower edge. Bright red.
lugs: Medium size, smooth and flush with the face, smooth and lanceolate. Bright red.
Pico: Strong, vigorous and well curved. In varieties Gorria, Zilarra Lepasoila and predominates in the upper jaw dark brown on the horny yellowish on the bottom may appear dark brown spots but only in the proximal part. In Marraduna is entirely yellow, without spots, and the black is Beltza.
Eyes: Large and oval, with the iris brown.
Neck: Moderately long, well sprung abundant cape, floating on his back.

Trunk :

Back: Broad and fall slightly toward the tail heavy fringes of medium length.
Chest: Broad, deep and well rounded.
Abdomen: Fairly developed.
Tail: Medium in size. Rectrices broad and overlapping, placed at an angle of 45 ° above horizontal. Sickles of medium length, well arched.

Tips :

Wings: Large, well-folded and tight to the body.
Thighs: Strong and robust.
Tarsus: Rather long, thick, heavy and yellowish, with four fingers.

As the cock except the beak, which is less curved, the ridge, in contrast to the Mediterranean races, is right, do not hang to the side and is less developed than in them. The barbels are shorter and rounder. The lugs are smaller, but retaining the lanceolate. The chest is outgoing and wide but less than the rooster. The tail is rather small, slightly raised (35 °), with rectrices broad and overlapping. Thighs and tarsi, as in the cock, but in proportions own sex.

Gorria

Gallo : The cape and tassels are red orange, highlighted by his brilliance on the rest of plumage. At the end of the feather cape presented in its center, a black spear. In the wings, bow and covers are brownish. In primary and secondary flight feathers brown predominates, without reddish in this case, the black, we value the more proportion of animals present chestnut. The 8-10 feathers that form the bottom row of flight coverts are black. The tail and sickles rectrices black with metallic green sheen. The back and seat are reddish brown, like the bow and wing covers. The front of the neck, chest, body and thighs are dark brown. The Subcolors is cream.

Gallina : The general plumage is brown tone. The neck features a orange hue but are not as pronounced as in the cocks. At the end of the neck is black-tipped feathers, and tail rectrices are black or predominantly black. Metal is bright but less than the roosters.

Marraduna

Gallo : The plumage of this variety is mainly characterized by the presence of mixed white stripes with the colors described in the Gorria. A second remarkable fact is that all keys are cleared chestnuts, like the black. Here Subcolors is ivory.

Gallina : The clay is more diffuse, it is desirable that is most markedly. It's on the sides, at the height of the thighs, that one appreciates it. Brown tones are clearer.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-12-13 02:43:44

poplar girl
Administrator

This is a great idea! I was thinking about this at the poultry show this weekend.

No time to try to help perfect this description right now but I will!!

With how friendly EOs are I think they would make great show chickens, they might enjoy it as much as their people do!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-12-13 02:46:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I know I am too tired to concentrate on this at the moment, see my other post.  :banginghead:  I have a lot of this translated and corrected in my Squidoo article.

#5 2011-12-13 02:57:13

gubi
Website

from Claire's Squidoo article

Morphology of the rooster
--Head: Long and broad.
--Face: Smooth and bright red.
--Comb: Simple, medium size, straight and firm. Presents five to seven well-defined teeth. Bright red.
--Wattles: Long, thin and smooth, with rounded lower edge. Bright red.
--Earlobes: Medium size, lying close to the face, smooth and lanceolate. Bright red.
--Beak: Strong, vigorous and well curved. In varieties Gorria, Zilarra Lepasoila the upper jaw is dark brown with corn yellow on the bottom and may have dark brown spots but only in the proximal part. In the Marraduna is entirely yellow, without spots, and the Beltza is black.
--Eye:Large and oval, with light brown iris.
--Neck: Moderately long, well sprung heavy cloak, floating on his back.
--Back: Broad and fall slightly toward the tail; saddle feathers abundant, medium length.
--Chest: Broad, deep and well rounded.
--Abdomen: Fairly developed.
--Tail: Medium in size. Rectrices broad and overlapping, angled 45 degrees above horizontal. Sickles of medium length, well arched.
--Wings: Large, well-folded and tight to the body.
--Thighs: Strong and robust.
--Feet: Rather long, thick, heavy, yellowish, with four toes

Hens
Similar to rooster except the beak, which is less curved. The wattles are shorter and rounder. The earlobes are smaller, but retaining the lanceolate shape. The chest is wide but smaller than the rooster. The tail is rather small and slightly raised (35 °), with rectrices broad and overlapping. Thighs and shanks, as in the rooster, but more feminine.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2011-12-13 22:50:53

Lisa

Thanks Claire and Stefan!

I've added Stefan's post to the end of the chart. Still looking for input on the rest, if anybody has any ideas... (especially about colour for the hens!)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer