Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-08 12:05:34

poplar girl
Administrator

Good thing we have a generator

A massive line of thunderstorms rolled through about 4am this morning. Another system is on the way and then the real rain is supposed to begin.

The power went out over a large area of the county with the first set of storms. Depending on the problem it could take quite awhile to get power back.

Thankfully we have two generators. The first is running the house and therefore my precious incubator of EO eggs at day 17. The second we are just about to start up so keep my 2.5 week old EOs cozy and warm (it is always cold when it rains here).

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-07-08 12:05:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-08 13:00:14

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Good thing we have a generator

:thumbs: Phew. Very good thing about the generator.  Hope things return to normal and warm up again for you quick.  It's a shame when it doesn't feel like summer!

I am so tempted to hatch some EOs, you have no idea!  Things are slow here with the viewings and I am itching to get a little Brinsea or RCom and fill it up :doI?:  I'd put Specky in with his two best daughters.  :whistle:

#3 2011-07-08 13:23:59

Susan
Administrator

Oh thank goodness PG!  I was thinking of you guys yesterday with all of the weather warnings. Are you in the area that's supposed to get up to 100 mm?

#4 2011-07-08 14:45:24

poplar girl
Administrator

Yep Susan I think we are. Or at least up to 70mm last time i checked... We are at 25mm so far.

SLF absolutely go for it! I would have loved a few babies from that match. The potential is there for some nice babies for sure!

One tank of propane gone...need to go help DH tap us into the BIG tank.

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-07-08 14:46:04)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-07-08 15:16:35

Flat Rock Farm

Oh thank goodness for the generator, that happened to me once three days prior to my hatch, the power went out for 14 hours, had to boil water on the wood stove and fill the hot water bottle.  Thankfully they all hatched, we didn't have a generator then, now we do.  Yes, I saw the weather on the Canada AM this morning, wow and here it's really dry haven't had any significant rain since about June 22.  Hunker down PG!!

#6 2011-07-08 16:10:18

poplar girl
Administrator

Trouble changing over the propane tank. Incubator got a little cool, down to the low 30Cs, before I ran for the little gas generator. Now the incubator I running but the 2.5 wk olds are in the dark. DH is on a propane run.

Had to resort to using my blackberry to log on. I NEVER do that but I need the outside contact and support.

On second thought SLF...talk nice to a broody hen about incubating those eggs for you.

Yikes I hope all my babies are okay!

#7 2011-07-08 16:30:38

poplar girl
Administrator

Flat Rock Farm we were in the same boat SUPER dry in May and early June. Then around mid June we got almost 2 weeks of rain, like 5-8 inches in a week and a half, to compensate for the drought. We just had our first week of mid 20s sunny weather and now the rain and cool is back. I don't mind cool or rain, just prefer to have electricity.

Have you had heat along with the dry conditions?

Sigh. Looks like I need to plug the blackberry into the gnerator too...

#8 2011-07-08 17:43:47

poplar girl
Administrator

Back on the grid =D

#9 2011-07-08 17:59:44

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yay :happycrowd" what a relief!  I have 6volunteer broodies!  Might be fun to let Blondie to do it!  :chook:

All spring we had no rain then 2.5 inches in a night then off again for a week...it's making for a bumper hay crop.  Glad they are cutting it now, it will get the mozzies down to almost nothing.  :jumping:

#10 2011-07-08 18:22:17

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

good to hear your back on the grid.
Post pictures when they hatch.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#11 2011-07-08 18:30:41

gubi
Website

glad to hear your back on the grid too.  We had a few nasty storms here too this spring but it is sunny and warm this week.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#12 2011-07-09 10:57:00

Flat Rock Farm

poplar girl wrote:

Flat Rock Farm we were in the same boat SUPER dry in May and early June. Then around mid June we got almost 2 weeks of rain, like 5-8 inches in a week and a half, to compensate for the drought. We just had our first week of mid 20s sunny weather and now the rain and cool is back. I don't mind cool or rain, just prefer to have electricity.

Have you had heat along with the dry conditions?

Sigh. Looks like I need to plug the blackberry into the gnerator too...

Yes, we have had heat to go along with the dry, makes keeping my gardens challenging.  Well am glad your back on the grid, makes you wonder how we all existed without electricity???  Hope all your babies hatch, fingers crossed.

#13 2011-07-09 14:52:19

poplar girl
Administrator

I was thinking the same thing Flat Rock...I wish we were less depended on modern conveniences. Long term we may plan to be?

Well we have moved onto some minor flooding. 2.5 inches so far but 1.5 inches this morning over about 2 hours. Water laying everywhere including inside one of my new coops (haven't got the cement poured yet). I went out to open the door when the rain slowed down (there are two ducks I lock in with them for the night and ducks make such a mess if there is water that I don't put water in the coop at night). Well I didn't need to worry about watering them, poor babies! The ducks were happily playing in the mud puddle in one corner. I spent some quality time with the chooks when the heavens opened up again to provide another 3/4 inch of rain.

I hope everyone stays healthy...

On the up side one little EO rooster got a super good cuddle, he is such a sweetie, Susan one from you. And one pullet from Susan's pair also looks amazing. She is huge with beautiful coloring. Lots of white mottling :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer