Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-30 00:35:02

Maggiesdad

Power outage

Sunday afternoon high winds blew a tree onto the power lines near our home. The desktop UPS held the temperature in the Little Giant for an hour and ten minutes. I had the generator standing by, when the temp dropped below 99F I switched it over. The generator brought it back up in short order.

The Co-op guys had the power restored at just over two hours.
The first batch of EOs were outside in the brooder... they never even missed their heatlamp, the thermometer stayed at 80 in the brooder.

Glad I was home.
Glad it was sunny.
One week to go.  :P

2011-11-30 00:35:02

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-30 00:49:03

gubi
Website

Re: Power outage

I had power outages before and it delayed the hatch a day but I wasn't set up like you and didn't have a backup generator.  I'll have one by next spring for sure.  Can you explain to me what a desktop UPS is?  Thanks

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-11-30 01:10:00

poplar girl
Administrator

It is so smart to be prepared! It leaves you with a good feeling instead of a sick feeling at the end!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-11-30 01:13:24

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Glad I was home.
Glad it was sunny.
One week to go.  :P

Very Lucky!

#5 2011-11-30 01:31:48

Maggiesdad

gubi wrote:

I had power outages before and it delayed the hatch a day but I wasn't set up like you and didn't have a backup generator.  I'll have one by next spring for sure.  Can you explain to me what a desktop UPS is?  Thanks

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=29

I have the 750VA model. The heating element in the LG draws 40w, but it doesn't stay on constantly. The fan does however. The UPS was still running at 1hour and 10 min, but the room ambient had dropped from 75 to 67, and I was getting antsy. The generator has plenty of power for the space heater in the room, too.

The UPS isn't the end-all, but it did give me plenty of time to drag the generator out of the garage.

#6 2011-11-30 01:48:45

Susan
Administrator

Way to go Glen! I was just thinking today that I need to dig out the generator and figure out how to use it! ( I fixed your post :) )

Adverts

Board footer