Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-06-29 02:16:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Link to "Most common defects in Euskal oiloa"

I was going to put this link in but it is broken for now  http://bilbaoglocal.org/oilotegi/akatz.htm
I just translated the cached page, no images though

Most common defects in Euskal Oiloa

White coloration ear

The ears should be bright red, without the presence of white.

Presence of white feathers on the wings and tail

Especially in the variety Beltza (Black), the presence of white feathers is considered a serious defect (except Zilarra)

Presence of black beak

Except Beltza variety, the presence of black at the peak is considered a minor defect, most marked in the varieties and Marraduna Zilarra.

Legs not yellow

Beltza Variety, the trend is toward the color black. In general females may tend towards the legs/toes being white.  Yellow may lose intensity as they start to lay.  Legs a colour other than yellow is considered serious flaw.

Comb twisted and wrinkled

The comb should be simple, medium size, straight and steady.

Crooked Toes

Sample of blood, fingers bent considered a defect in the show, but does not affect reproduction.

2011-06-29 02:16:09

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-06-29 02:26:33

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Link to "Most common defects in Euskal oiloa"

-We have also seen Clavell Combs, the side sprigs of the carnation comb seen in Penedesencas.   

-We have seen Blue legs, and white legs.

-There have been bent toes for sure, and even a few stubs on toes.  We haven't seen them but a few of this years offspring have reported to have them.

Because of the sibling breeding we had to do this year, we expected recessives to pop up and they are!  So a lot of this generation may be discarded and the best birds which should be pretty nice, to be kept for breeding. :jumping:

So there are some tiny gene-pool challenges here!  :banginghead:  I think we are looking forward to some breeding ideas for this awesome breed from those more experienced breeding chickens! :cheer:

#3 2011-06-30 19:00:37

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Thanks for the post. Very helpfull.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#4 2011-07-01 21:57:11

poplar girl
Administrator

Here is a picture of a young rooster with side sprigs.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/6e795faa.png

The side sprigs can vary from teeny tiny to quite impressive. As I understand the genetics, side sprigs are a recessive trait so both parents need to carry the gene (and will not show any evidence of side sprigs) for the offspring to have side sprigs. Please correct me if that is incorrect!

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-07-01 21:58:25)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-07-01 23:41:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Shame he has them he's a lovely colour and nice wide head.  None the adults we bred had any, I sold them all as pets or layers, so it must be recessive.  My pet EO roo that we kept wouldn't breed has as close to a proper carnation comb as we have seen with 2-3 sprigs each side!  Mostly they just had one spike each side or one on one side last year.  None of the first generation of offspring  showed them

#6 2011-07-03 18:04:29

Flat Rock Farm

Well I know I have had a lot that had crooked toes, mostly the roosters.  I had found homes for them as did not want use them for breeding. Was wondering if there is another breeder that could add a little "bleach" to gene pool that are not so closely related to mine??? :huh:

#7 2011-07-03 18:19:38

poplar girl
Administrator

Flat Rock Farm I might have some new blood for next year if things go well! I posted some info and pictures...

With regards to white tail feathers on the roosters, when would they normally come in if they are going to?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2011-07-03 18:20:59

gubi
Website

I had a number of them too mostly cockerels too.  I even had 2 that had both feet curled!  They do however grow just the same and do taste delicious.  There's a lady down in Tilbury that has some originally from Claire but a little further removed now.  She was selling hatching eggs this spring.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2011-07-03 18:44:13

Flat Rock Farm

poplar girl that would be great if you would have some for next year.  Gubi I also had one fellow that both his feet were curled in, at first I thought it was something to do with a incubation problem until I read a link on EO's and some genetic defects in them.

#10 2011-07-03 18:51:36

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think the white takes a while like 4-5 month  at earliest to be sure for the adult tail feathers.  Speckled Jim's 2 big sickle feathers in the middle of the tail  are white and took more like 6 months to come in if I remember rightly.  It's pretty well till they get that long glossy saddle feather stage underway. 

Stefan do you have Alina's (in Chatham's) email?  I want to invite some other the other Canadian breeders like Black Horse Ranch and "the lady in BC" but have lost various email addresses :banginghead:

#11 2011-07-03 18:53:58

gubi
Website

I'll e-mail it to you

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#12 2011-07-03 19:07:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks got it and mailed her! =D

#13 2011-07-06 13:42:12

Young Heritage

poplar girl wrote:

Here is a picture of a young rooster with side sprigs.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac25 … 795faa.png

The side sprigs can vary from teeny tiny to quite impressive. As I understand the genetics, side sprigs are a recessive trait so both parents need to carry the gene (and will not show any evidence of side sprigs) for the offspring to have side sprigs. Please correct me if that is incorrect!

Can someone please point out specifically what side springs are? I think I may be confused as to what they are exactly. Thx

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#14 2011-07-06 18:05:45

gubi
Website

the end of the comb is not flat but has tiny points to the side.

#15 2011-07-06 19:00:57

Young Heritage

Ok, I think I get it. So basically they need standard Single Combs without any deviation? Uniform Points on the comb. Sides of comb smooth with no points or bulges"side sprigs"?

6 to 7 points on Comb?

Last edited by Young Heritage (2011-07-06 19:03:04)

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#16 2011-07-06 21:05:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes, this is them on a black penedesenca - not as many as he should have even!  On the basques, if there's a single on or one on each side, the side sprigs seem to be about 1cm up from the bottom on the back of the comb.  Side sprigs are a common fault on all single combed breeds as it is recessive and easily masked until two heterozygous birds breed and ti shows in the offspring!
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/173.jpg

#17 2011-07-07 00:00:09

Young Heritage

Got it now. Thank you for the help. :thumbsup:

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

Adverts

Board footer