Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-23 02:28:13

Lisa

A new rooster issue....

So this is following up from a posting under the "EO's can be mean" thread, but I decided it's now hit the point where it deserves it's own....

So I took everyone's advice with me out to the rooster yard with my two cockerals. The bigger lad that has been romancing me (wing-dancing, occasionally pecking at my boot and attacking anybody else who comes in the yard) tried it on again while I was in his coop checking the feed - pecked at my boot. I was expecting it and wanted to make sure I administered an appropriate correction.

I quickly crouched down and squashed him to the ground with one hand holding his neck, waiting for him to squeal. Nothing. He just sighed, relaxed a bit and let me do it. I'm now thinking "Oh great, this bird is a closet masochist - next he's going to be asking me to come out here in high-heeled boots and use a riding crop on him".

While I am having this (admittedly abberant) thought, in comes his smaller brother. He takes advantage of the situation to give his trapped brother a good peck (he's the less dominant of the pair). Then he jumps on top of my back, treads a bit and tries to bite my neck!!!!!!:banginghead:

I am now thinking "I am so glad I am a Canadian woman in the winter time and am wearing my toque".

NOW WHAT?????

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-11-23 02:28:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-23 02:47:50

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: A new rooster issue....

Okay I am so sorry but I just laughed so hard....not AT you....I mean it's terrible but I could just picture so clearly.

Ahem...well.

I think they believe you to be a hen :chook:
Dealing with two at once sounds too challenging to me. I would separate them and possibly get rid of the smaller white legged boy. But that is just me and I am notoriously awful at dealing with aggressive roosters :oops:

I so sympathize with your situation!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-11-23 02:59:39

Lisa

PG,

Don't worry about laughing, I did! And so did my family!=D

Fortunately, I was wearing a heavy winter coat, so it took me a while to figure out what the smaller roo was doing! Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends how you look at it), he's almost as good as his brother - slightly smaller, yellow legs, good comb, a little greyer in the breast and grey barring on his bloomers. Both of these lads are pretty good specimens. I'm just REALLY hoping they like real hens better than the like me! I'm planning on moving them tomorrow to a little shed with a fence that is connected to the hen yard. Let them start dancing for REAL hens, and then I'll move them in with some in a few days. If they are a little LESS nice to me!!!!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#4 2011-11-23 03:01:53

gubi
Website

I think your roosters are species confused! 
I had problems with my earliest hatched cockerels too. They were extremely tame because they were raised in the basement and considered us as equals and showed no respect.  I don't see any issues with my later hatched cockerels.  They were raised outside and didn't get as much attention as chicks.  I think any male animal you have to watch how you raise it.  I remember as a kid we had a bottle ram lamb he lost his mom so dad let us raise it as a pet and when he got a bit older he turned mean.  I think we run into problems with them because they think we are part of the flock. They need to be taught that we are the boss.  Everyone has some good ideas on how to show them that you are the boss.  I can't take any chances with mean roosters here because of the kids.  If I can't trust them around the kids they are dinner. 
If they don't learn soon enough for you I have 3 or 4 nice roosters you could pick from.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2011-11-23 03:08:28

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry I had a good chuckle too.  Can't say I've ever had that happen in 4 years, I personally would just keep them together and do as you planned to tonight, and deal with them one at time or get agile and do both at once.  I don't hold the boys down, just grab them where they are, gripping their scruff while they are standing, which seems to affect them more. 

Nathan says he would separate them and get rid of any extras or spares, coq au vin style

They may be fine when they are in with hens, but they may then try to defend them from you so they need to know you are boss now.  Hope that helps, keep us posted.

#6 2011-11-23 04:02:37

Island Girl

Thanks for the visual Lisa, it made me have a good chuckle. I have had the odd aggressive roo and have dealt with them by making them hunker down for me anytime I go in the coop. Only thing is that they tend to get scared of you when you approach them, at least they respect you! I like your idea of separating them from the hens and then let the best man win.

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer