Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-05 21:43:52

Lisa

Hello from outside Arthur, Ontario

Hello Everybody!

Claire, thanks for sending the email to hook me into this site - lovely to speak with other people who appreciate EO's. I've found that even other poultry nuts don't quite understand the appeal of the basquies.

I have a couple of rubbermaid buckets full of Claire's Maradunna babies that are just about ready to go out to the yard - 2 hens and 7 roosters! So if anybody is looking for a spare roo, I'll have lots to choose from...:thumbs: One of my hens has decided that she is the chosen child - she jumps out of her bucket and rides my shoulder at every opportunity. Peaches sure knows how to work a room!

If anyone still has eggs available at this late date, I'd kinda like to hatch out a few more and hope for a few more hens... would love to be part of the effort to keep these charming birds alive.

Lisa

PS - Gubi, your three silkies are also still in with the EO's, looking beautiful and getting along fine!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-07-05 21:43:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-05 22:54:36

Susan
Administrator

Re: Hello from outside Arthur, Ontario

Hello Lisa! Nice to meet you :). I may do a test hatch with Frosty and this year's pullets if you are interested. Won't be for a couple of months though. They are just about to lay and they'll need to separated with him for awhile. Glad you could join us!

#3 2011-07-06 00:03:54

Flat Rock Farm

Hey Lisa!
Welcome to the site, well sounds like you had the same ration of roos as I did, and why I did a second hatch as well.  I did find good homes for all the extras, the people that took them have contacted me saying how much they love and enjoy them.  So you should have no trouble getting them homes.
Paula

#4 2011-07-06 01:04:06

poplar girl
Administrator

Hi Lisa! Why is it so rare to hatch more girls than boys? One of the great mysteries of life I suppose!

It's great you could join. skeffling Lavender Farm has done a wonderful job of speading EOs and a love for them around. It will be fun to talk with others about these amazing birds.

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-07-06 01:04:47)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-07-06 01:33:01

Susan
Administrator

Isn't that funny. I was thinking I needed a roo from Claire's eggs because evyone I jatched from her were pullets! Uhoh! Does that mean next year I'm destined for all roos??

#6 2011-07-06 02:05:34

gubi
Website

Welcome to the EO site Lisa.  I'm glad your silkies are getting along with the EO's well. Mine do too.  What a size difference between the two breed though.  I find my silkies always look so tiny until you pick them up.  Those chicks are a lot heavier then they appear.  They are just so slow to feather out.  The Spitzhaubens on the other hand feather out very fast but are light as a feather to pick up. 
  I've had close to 1:1 ratio of cockerels to pullets with the EO's this year.  I have however only had a few with Yellow legs so far.

Last edited by gubi (2011-07-06 02:06:05)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2011-07-06 03:43:12

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:welcome: Lisa!  You are in great company here!  Blondie used to hop up onto the side of the brooder when she was  a chick.  Never tried to get out and away, just up to be near me! :love:  Funny the ratios you have gotten, it does sound like chance when Susan get all pullets!  How often does that happen!? :Crazy:  Shame you didn't get more females everyone.  I am so close to putting Speckled Jim in with the girls....sooo close :doI?:  I really don't want them all locked up, but I am not sure he could fertilize 40 hens and I'm not sure I could ID the Euskal eggs along with the Wyandottes and Orpingtons and Black Penny eggs!  Might be best to get slightly less related eggs if you can from Susan.  I think her genes may be not as varies as ours, more yellow legs and less side sprigs! =D

I have a good idea there is a gentleman that needs and EO roo in the Kingston area.  He got a pair from Chickenlee then a predator got the rooster :sad:  He loves the breed and wants to breed them.  He has been in contact with her.  Distance will be the issue anyway.  She said she will pass on this site to him anyway!

:jumping: Anyway welcome.  There is lots of great links and information we never had translated before on these!   :cheer:

#8 2011-07-06 17:13:10

Flat Rock Farm

Well if anyone needs another rooster I could still part with one, that would leave me with two.  Chickenlee contacted that fellow in Kingston when I still had some available and I heard no reply so yes I think distance for him may be an issue.

Adverts

Board footer