Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-19 00:35:45

Susan
Administrator

Don't buy eggs from me :(

Poor Island Girl is having a terrible hatch. I sent her 2 batches of EO eggs with a few Milles Fleurs. Its day 22 and none have hatched on their own. The one MF that made it, she helped and it has crooked toes. The two "EOs" that hatched had black legs and 5 toes. I feel sick. The silkie girls are in with the EO, because they are gentle with them. I thought of course I can tell the difference between a Silkie egg and an EO egg. Well my EO eggs were still quite small and the Silkies are much older so I goofed a few up. Now instead of hatching a clutch of EO eggs, Monika has 2 silkie EOs. This on top of a very difficult day. Sigh. I'm so sorry Monika.

2011-11-19 00:35:45

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-19 00:50:59

gubi
Website

Re: Don't buy eggs from me :(

I can totally see that happening.  When my EO pullets were starting to lay eggs I was wondering why I was getting 4 eggs from the 3 girls some days until I figures out my silkie was laying too!  Of course there is no mistaking which eggs come from which hens now the EO eggs are about twice the size now. 

I'm sure you can make it up to IG somehow, she seems a very nice person.  mistakes happen to all of us.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-11-19 00:52:46

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh dear! I know you well enough Susan to know that you feel awful about this and it was an honest mistake. I am sure you and Island Girl will figure out a way to remedy the situation. Seems with the late hatch and the crooked toes it is possible on top of everything that's went wrong on your end maybe there were some issues with the incubation on Monika's side too!

I'm sorry you guys, so sad the hatch has not gone well :sad:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-11-19 02:58:52

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Susan, I know exactly how you feel, MilliVanilli happened because a sumatra were in with the EOs.  Sorry again IG!   I think unless they are green eggs layers in with EO's I know I am not having any other girls in with the EOs roos. 

I agree with PG, you guys can work it it, we know it's an honest mistake!  I just feel bad we both did it!  :oops:

#5 2011-11-19 03:13:59

Skylinepoultry
Website

Susan, bless your heart. We've all been there. Don't be down on yourself. All will be fine. I can tell you have a big heart and the matter will be resolved. If it makes you feel any better I just hatched out 30 project eggs and wound up with half of them being Langshans. I finally realized one of my girls was laying on the ground and when they scratched they were kicking eggs over in the other pen,lol. I thought it was one of my project girls laying on the ground. By the way, who all loves Welsummers here?

#6 2011-11-19 03:18:49

Susan
Administrator

Thanks Skyline. I just want to make it right. Thanks for the nice words.

#7 2011-11-19 03:36:10

Island Girl

Oh Susan, you really are a gem! I am not worried about these little chicks being cross'. You have been so good to me and so helpful with so many things, please don't lose any sleep over it. They are 2 of the cutest most rambunctious little darlings ever. I usually keep 'just hatched' chicks in the bottom part of my brooder for at least a day or 2 before I have to add the top part but these little squirts have already been trying to jump out. I had to put the lid on just to be on the safe side. They keep jumping in with Rammy (in the ramekin dish to force him to keep his legs under him, they are hobbled)they are very curious as to why he is in the dish and they are not! The EOs not hatching properly I am thinking has to do with me messing things up on this end. I actually don't think that is your responsibility as the shipper, just saying ;)
I think the reason I ended up with 2 healthy crosses is that because of that 'hybrid vigor' we hear and talk about. And little Rammy almost not making it and then hatching with a crooked toe I think again is my humidity issue. So all in all Susan, I really do believe that this is a hatching issue not an egg issue. Well except for those 2 little darlings that have already stolen my heart so that issue is now moot!!   

XOX Monika

#8 2011-11-19 04:24:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Skyline, Welsummers are awesome IMO!  Naughty chickens confusing things eh?  Glad you girls have it figured out. :thumbsup:

#9 2011-11-19 14:48:34

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan my Wellie and Gem came from YOUR eggs along with several other happy healthy EOs. And let's not forget about the three amazing ducks I hatched from YOUR eggs! Stuff happens and that's how positive changes get made!

I tend to agree with Monika about the hybrid vigor. I find that quite interesting in fact.

Too bad it is so cold now... shipping eggs would be pretty risky unless you can pick a warm week. But spring will come eventually!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2011-11-19 16:53:54

ipf

hybrid vigour. . . or the removal of inbreeding depression? Many folks reserve the term "hybrid vigour" for crosses between things more distantly related than two breeds of chickens.

#11 2011-11-19 17:13:57

Island Girl

ipf wrote:

hybrid vigour. . . or the removal of inbreeding depression? Many folks reserve the term "hybrid vigour" for crosses between things more distantly related than two breeds of chickens.

Thanks ipf, may as well get the terms straight! ;)

XOX Monika

#12 2011-11-19 17:34:58

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Skyline, Welsummers are awesome IMO!  Naughty chickens confusing things eh?  Glad you girls have it figured out. :thumbsup:

What does IMO mean? I'm slow today,lol..

#13 2011-11-19 17:45:25

Island Girl

:P In My Opinion   :EO:

XOX Monika

#14 2011-11-19 21:07:41

pops coops
Website

Sorry to hear about this IG, Susan will make it good she is an awsome human and honest to a fault. I have eggs from her and all have candled fertile so I am hoping for the best and I am sure it will all turn out and I would have no problem buying eggs from you Susan.  :thumbs:

Last edited by pops coops (2011-11-19 21:08:10)

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#15 2011-11-19 22:18:01

Flat Rock Farm

Aw Susan it has happen to most of us so don't feel bad.  I ended up with my sizzle which got crossed accidently with my cochin and silkie, he's the cutest thing ever.  I am sure a EO crossed with a silkie will have an awesome temperament :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer