Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-15 06:27:50

Skylinepoultry
Website

Antique Incubators?

I once seen an antique incubator that was heated from burning oil lamps. Id love to find me one and tinker around with it. Have you ever seen them novelty spin wheels that turns from the heat of a tea candle. I was thinking that if you could rig up an antique incubator with a fan like that you could have a form of forced air incubation. Wouldn't that be kewl! My mind races way to much,lol.

2011-11-15 06:27:50

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-15 12:16:02

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Antique Incubators?

I think the best designed antique incubator is called the broody hen :P

For Christmas I was looking in Lee Valley catalogue (not sure if that is a Canadian thing) and they have little models of steam engines and such that run on a hot or cold (I guess it is the temperature differential).

I have to admit though most of that is out of my league, married to an engineer though so I let him worry about that stuff.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-11-15 14:54:13

ScottMcCray

PG is being *bad* this morning...she mentioned Lee Valley! (slippery slope time) :thumbsup: They do have a strong US presence via mail-order...

They are one of my absolute favorite companies to do business with! Fair warning, though - they have so much cool stuff you just might end up having to have your paycheck direct-deposited there instead of at your bank! :doI?:

#4 2011-11-15 15:33:19

Skylinepoultry
Website

I've ordered a ton of stuff from Lee Valley. I've deposted many of checks there,lol..

#5 2011-11-15 17:24:12

Lindy Lou

My husband raised birds when he was a kid and he tells me that his first incubator ran on kerosene. The heater was fueled by keosene and it had a flapper that opened and closed. He says it worked very well.

LL

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#6 2011-11-15 18:17:29

Skylinepoultry
Website

Lindy Lou wrote:

My husband raised birds when he was a kid and he tells me that his first incubator ran on kerosene. The heater was fueled by keosene and it had a flapper that opened and closed. He says it worked very well.

LL

Id love to tinker around with one.

#7 2011-11-15 23:41:56

pops coops
Website

I have gotten a few of them in estate sales in fact they are in old Eatons catalogs, aboiut 3fee  X 3 feet square and ran on kerosene

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#8 2011-11-16 00:07:27

Skylinepoultry
Website

pops coops wrote:

I have gotten a few of them in estate sales in fact they are in old Eatons catalogs, aboiut 3fee  X 3 feet square and ran on kerosene

I dought id ever find one in descent shape to tinker with.

#9 2011-11-16 03:15:32

pops coops
Website

All the ones I have gotten are in working order

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#10 2011-11-16 06:28:48

Skylinepoultry
Website

pops coops wrote:

All the ones I have gotten are in working order

when was the last time you used one?

#11 2011-11-18 12:11:44

Young Heritage

I would also be interested in one of these but could you use oil to burn instead of kerosene? I do not know how to make kerosene but can make oils. Need a bator that I can provide all fuels for operation.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#12 2011-11-18 12:28:45

Maggiesdad

I'll bet you could run it on turpentine.

Adverts

Board footer