Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-03 16:24:31

Island Girl

My EO section of my coops

Hello =D  Last night I had this long post including coop pictures all ready to send and then I messed it up and lost it somehow :huh: it was late! So I will try again this morning.

Picture #1 is an outside shot of where the EOs will spend the winter. Part of it was a wood shed which we added plywood to walls then styrofoam insulation and then soffat so the chickens wouldn't pick at the insulation. The front of the coop (on right) is covered with 6mm plastic as a wind/rain barrier. The top is covered with wire that has styrofoam insulation sheets laying on top of it and then there is the metal slanted original roofing 2 feet above that. Quite ventilated. sometimes that worries me! On the left, that part of the coop is what we call the flight room (built for 9 baby pheasant I came home with one day, another story another day)it is wire covered with only plastic sheeting in the winter again to give them a break from wind/rain. The roof part of that is covered with a tarp. It is their outside area with no floor in it, a dirt base.
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Coops%20and%20Chickens%20January%2014%20%202011/CoopsChickensJan142011002.jpg

Picture #2 is the inside of the right coop (they are connected) it is the secure/safe night area. You can see part of the outside raised brooder box that my EO chicks and MV live in now. They will be moved down after the clean up (removed during the clean up) and the new chicks will live in the brooder when ready.
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Coops%20and%20Chickens%20January%2014%20%202011/CoopsChickensJan142011038.jpg

I hope this helps for any advice on my clean up with Virkon/DE etc after I remove the meat birds.

XOX Monika

2011-11-03 16:24:31

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-03 18:13:22

gubi
Website

Re: My EO section of my coops

I hate when that happens.  There was a couple of times I had something typed out only to loose it because I clicked on the favorite bar instead of a different tab on my browser.
Looks like a nice setup.  I'm not sure why you have to disinfect everything?  Did your meat birds get sick?  If not you might do more harm then good with getting everything wet.  The Eo's are a very hardy breed, I think if you have to worry about some of them it would be the meat birds as they are very susceptible to just about everything.  But then again I drink raw milk and store unwashed eggs in the basement for a month and still eat them. :Crazy:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-11-03 20:53:10

Flat Rock Farm

gubi wrote:

I hate when that happens.  There was a couple of times I had something typed out only to loose it because I clicked on the favorite bar instead of a different tab on my browser.
Looks like a nice setup.  I'm not sure why you have to disinfect everything?  Did your meat birds get sick?  If not you might do more harm then good with getting everything wet.  The Eo's are a very hardy breed, I think if you have to worry about some of them it would be the meat birds as they are very susceptible to just about everything.  But then again I drink raw milk and store unwashed eggs in the basement for a month and still eat them. :Crazy:

Oh gubi, raw milk and month old basement eggs. :sick:

Nice set up Monika :thumbs:

#4 2011-11-04 02:26:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

This is  a pain losing a long post, I have lost an hour long one, before, I do long post and type slow! :banginghead: Looks like a nice setup!  I know some people put peat moss down on dirt so they can remove it later if needed, just very dusty.

Looks pretty good.  What's your low temps overwinter?  Ours EO adults were in about the same airiness, maybe more more so, a 4 by 8 coop with a 2 foot by 8 foot hardware cloth window at the top half of the tall side, open to the unheated air in the barn, that came in though a 16 by 10 feet open doorway door from outside down to -25C or so.  At least with good ventilation, they dry out, less condensation.  The year before I hung feed bags loosely over their open "window" and seemed to have more frostbite that year, but it was colder.  A steady freezing wind or draft starting at -20 or -25 we have noticed is more likely to cause problems,  I doubt you get that cold, so I think you are fine.  If you were in a colder climate, I'd have that plastic more breathable, and more insulation, but you are good IMO.

I suspect we have had colder temps than you already (only one frost, and -1 forecast tonight)  and my 9 week olds are free ranging and sleeping in a tractor out in the open and OK so far.  They'll be going into same conditions as above shortly.   

I am wierd about my eggs, they need to go in the fridge, but raw milk is awesome, I wish I could get some to make cheese! :eat:

#5 2011-11-04 17:30:23

Island Girl

Hi SLF our low temps here on the Island tend not to get any colder than around -3 and then back up to +3 during the day. It doesn't usually go longer than a week at at time. Having said that it can get to -15 and we do get some snow some years. Not like when I lived in St Albert, AB or in Swift Current, Sask. Brrrrrrrrr I remember those winters! This morning it was around +3 but some areas around here have already had a frost as well. I am still getting used to wet winters vs cold and snowy ones. I don't miss the cold or snow but learning how to deal with everything damp is no fun either.

About that raw milk, when I was a little girl in Saskatchewan, it was such a treat to get a glass of fresh raw milk. We would go out to Uncle Bills farm every weekend regardless of weather! We would make butter (we thought that was fun too, I now recognize that as child labor :lol:) butcher cows and poultry, wake up to the warmth of a coal stove and so on. My best memories are of my time spent there, and I know that is where my love of chickens comes from. A happy childhood memory!

XOX Monika

#6 2011-11-04 22:27:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

They should be fine then Monika.  We have made butter and I could see that being child labour.  We were used for picking blackcurrants and podding peas,  which we loved incidentally.  We used to do that at my Grannys place in Skeffling.  She still lives there, and those childhood memories are why our name is Skeffling lavender.  It was my great aunt in the same village that had the chooks.  They had the coal fires too and in winter you could fall asleep by the hearth and hope not to get peppered with hot coal fragments when a little pocket exploded in a lump of burning coal!!

#7 2011-11-08 00:35:43

ScottMcCray

Sort of on topic for this thread:

I see mention of people losing posts due to browser crashes and human error - I have been plagued by the same problem! I found a cool add-in for Firefox, Chrome and Safari that keeps a snapshot of what you have typed - and in the event of a problem, you can recover what you have typed! :applause:
I've been using it for a year and a half or so - worth a look if you use one of those browsers. (I've personally used it on Firefox and Chrome - have not used it on Safari).

http://lazarus.interclue.com/download

*Disclaimer* I love it, I'm just an unpaid customer, YMMV, yadda-yadda.

If this is out of place, please let me know!

#8 2011-11-08 00:42:35

Flat Rock Farm

Scott, :welcome: to the EO site!  Do you have any???

#9 2011-11-08 00:56:10

ScottMcCray

Not yet - my backstory is in the welcome thread.  Maggiesdad (Glen) is my brother - I have plans to build just around the corner from his place. I get a head start on stock! Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by ScottMcCray (2011-11-08 00:56:31)

Adverts

Board footer