Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-06 15:07:13

Maggiesdad

Some different Fall colors

Funny how you see things in seed catalogs, but never try them...

I remember these since I was a kid, as Misato Rose radish. Mom gave me a packet of seeds call Watermelon radish, and I planted them in mid Aug between my fall cabbages.  Wow! It's the sweetest, juciest radish I've ever had. We pull them and peel them in the garden and eat them just like carrot sticks. Who new?!

I shared them with a friend, and he took some home and was fixing them when a friend of his was over, and That friend said "What a beautiful radish!" He took a pic of it and now my radishes ar on teh interwebs! :jumping: Here's the link to his image...
http://dailypost.bowdoin.edu/2011/11/03_nov_11.html

I took some shots last night and cubed up a batch to stir fry in olive oil w pepper and garlic salt... Yummy :eat:

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/maggiesdad1/DSC_1002-1.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/maggiesdad1/DSC_1003-1.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/maggiesdad1/DSC_1004-1.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/maggiesdad1/DSC_1005-1.jpg

2011-11-06 15:07:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-06 15:18:06

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Some different Fall colors

Oh they are beautiful...and I have never had radish stir fry before!

The ground is now frozen solid here (-12C or colder the last three morning in a row :sad:) so all you can enable me to do is look up seed for next spring!

Do chickens like radish?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-11-06 15:23:50

Maggiesdad

I chop the tops - they love them! :chook:

#4 2011-11-06 17:53:39

Flat Rock Farm

Holly Honkin Radishes, look at the size of them!!  I can see why they call them watermelon radish's they look like one.  You say they are sweet?  Our radish's are HOT.  Stir fry looks yummy :eat:

#5 2011-11-06 18:54:18

Maggiesdad

If I was to give you a piece of the pink heart, in a blindfold taste test, your first reaction would be sweet and crunchy crisp. As you continued to chew your next would would be - wait... did you just give me a radish?!

There is heat in the green and white rind, but the heart has only the slightest hint of radish spice.
And sooo juicy - you can see the juice on the blade of the big knife.

When I was young (46 now), gardening consisted of spring planting and summer harvest, fall weeds. Now we garden almost year round, with a slow spot from late Dec to mid Feb. The discovery of the Fall garden has opened up a whole new world of veggies for me.  This radish variety will be a permanent fixture here from now on.

#6 2011-11-06 19:28:59

Flat Rock Farm

Well you are lucky, we have a very short growing season.  Usually planting is done after Victoria Day weekend which is usually around the 24th of May, planting before this there is still danger of frost, even after that there is is a change though very slim.  Then we can get frost as early as the second week in Sept. so really only three month from start to finish, other than cold hardy veggies like brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, carrots and broccoli.
Oh to be able to have a garden all year long :love:

#7 2011-11-07 00:03:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yep we have the same..I am north of Flat rock.  We just had our first real frosts last week.  Paula you can do this, I have to post it...I wrote it on winter gardening!  Like proper winter gardening, here in Ontario! :whistle:  It seems to have entertained quite a few people all over the world!

Extreme Winter Vegetable Gardening - Can you Garden at Subzero Temperatures in Deep Snow?
http://www.infobarrel.com/Winter_Vegeta … et_of_Snow

Those radishes are absolutely beautiful, I don't like them, but hubby does!  Maybe we'll try some in the spring.

#8 2011-11-07 00:55:13

Flat Rock Farm

Claire, very good ideas and information on winter gardening but there is one thing...........you have to go out into the cold BRRRR.  I hate the cold, if it wasn't for the chickens I wouldn't go out except to let the dogs out. :sad:

#9 2011-11-07 02:07:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I wear insulated coveralls, insulated gloves, insulated boots, and hat.  I make stick-to-your-ribs soup out of the veggies I get (and some stilton :love: ) with home made bread and maybe have a hot chocolate too...well worth the effort! :eat:

#10 2011-11-07 03:36:46

Maggiesdad

Claire, I really wasn't a radish person before these. Cherry Belle, Sparkler, Easter Egg, French Breakfast, Icicle - all of these made me go blechh. I could only eat them thinly sliced, sprinkled sparingly in salads. This variety was a game changer for me.  :eat:

#11 2011-11-07 06:22:14

Skylinepoultry
Website

Where so you find them? Are they easy to grow?

#12 2011-11-07 06:36:34

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Yep we have the same..I am north of Flat rock.  We just had our first real frosts last week.  Paula you can do this, I have to post it...I wrote it on winter gardening!  Like proper winter gardening, here in Ontario! :whistle:  It seems to have entertained quite a few people all over the world!

Extreme Winter Vegetable Gardening - Can you Garden at Subzero Temperatures in Deep Snow?
http://www.infobarrel.com/Winter_Vegeta … et_of_Snow

Those radishes are absolutely beautiful, I don't like them, but hubby does!  Maybe we'll try some in the spring.

Love the article Claire. Makes me want to do a garden now. Hmmmmm, what could I plant right now?

#13 2011-11-07 13:42:23

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We've grown all of those but Easter egg! :thumbsup:  Maybe we will try these then.  They are like jewels, I think they are beautiful!

James, most of the things that seem to do the best over winter here are the slow growing stuff, I guess anything that can take a frost, oniony things, some woody herbs, cabbage family members.  In England they grow carrots and parsnips, turnips over the winter, you could try those.  If you barely get a frost or have cold frames/greenhouse you could try lettuce or spinach. :eat:

We don't have any overwinter veggies this year, we didn't think we were staying so we didn't plant any cabbage for the chickens.  I still have the leeks in the freezer from that picture that I harvested in the spring.  And I have tons of soup frozen already.

#14 2011-11-08 01:46:01

Maggiesdad

Well, since I've been cramming chicken husbandry and genetics, chicken talk has invaded my daily thoughts...

Case in point - here we have carrots.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wjXxwEdu7dI/Trh96SrBE0I/AAAAAAAAABg/IpT9Jerd7js/s720/DSC_0662.JPG

Now if you take Carrot X Frosty Cold Weather, you get Silver Laced Carrots

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-VAIWFzBozpE/Trh-EHNARJI/AAAAAAAAABk/K7IFtM8uTpg/s720/DSC_0725.JPG

I know, I've got it bad... :whistle:

#15 2011-11-08 02:23:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:thumbsup: I love it, beautiful pictures too!

Adverts

Board footer