Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-06 23:06:27

Island Girl

My plans, 'til they change!

As of this morning I have only 1 roo left that will go in with the meat birds being processed on Tuesday and then 1 little French Wheaten Maran cockerel that is such a sweetheart that hubby asked me if we could keep him. Sigh, how do you say no to that? I remember just a short while ago he stated that we were absolutely never having roosters here. HA, I win ... now he has a pet roo!  He truly is a sweet little bird, every time hubby goes near the coop he hightails it over to be picked up and loved. He will stay in with the layers and can grow up to be their main man. I like them to have a roo to watch over them etc. My birds are not completely free range here and actually quite well protected with the dogs and electric fences and overtop netting but there is something about a  roo cocking his head to the side and letting out that warning growl when he hears a raven flap by or sees an eagle circling overhead.

I am basically getting myself set up so that I can let all my birds run together in and out of all the connecting coops by spring. That would include  my 7 growing EOs hatched from SLF and then the eggs in the bator too. Roos will be :eat: when they start to crow and hens will either be layers or breeders. Hmmm, so this is the plan (until I get another brainstorm in the middle of the night :P)! Of course when the time comes for breeding everyone will be separated again especially if hubby's little roo stays with us. If these EOs lay eggs the way I am hearing I may butcher the other layers and just have EOs and if the roosters are big I may never have to house a meatbird again. Wouldn't that be great!

XOX Monika

2011-11-06 23:06:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-07 00:14:35

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: My plans, 'til they change!

Sounds like a plan.  We don't have meat birds but the black pennies are the closest.  I can't believe how my EOs have overtaken the Chanteclers that were weeks older.  Depending on how many breeds we end up with, I may have a pen of pet EO roos, I think I have another pet with a clavell :whistle: Oh but he loves a cuddle.  There are some non-breeding roos I will have no problem eating, they are just shy and I am not petting them any more than I have to.  I want Wheaten Marans back and Dorkings too!

Adverts

Board footer