Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-05 21:27:03

Island Girl

Leg Color

So I am curious. I was out there looking at my beautiful EOs that I hatched from SLF and I am looking at their legs trying to determine if I can tell the difference between white, yellow and blue legs. To me the white ones are fairly obvious as the little roo I like so much just has to have them! :banginghead: Then there are somewhat yellow legs, must be yellow as they are not white. But then there are the kinda yellow ones with darkish color on the front, is that what we refer to as blue? Do the leg colors become more obvious as they get older? Are some legs colors kinda inbetweeners? Hmmmm, I will do a search around here and maybe there will be pictures that will help too. Thanks for letting me pick your brains! And as Susan says thats better than picking your nose! :P

XOX Monika

2011-11-05 21:27:03

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-05 23:06:42

gubi
Website

Re: Leg Color

It does get easier to tell when they get older.  The Yellowish with darkish colour might be willow.  Here's some leg colour info
http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=110

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-11-05 23:08:29

Maggiesdad

And please do describe what is meant by 'willow' .  :huh:

Oh wait, I just googled it for myself, and found this interesting page...
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ … owLeg.html

#4 2011-11-05 23:11:26

Maggiesdad

Gubi, I should have refreshed before I posted... genetics always slow me down! :P

Last edited by Maggiesdad (2011-11-05 23:11:59)

#5 2011-11-06 00:38:30

ipf

willow basically means "it looks kinda green to me"

Last edited by ipf (2011-11-06 00:38:44)

#6 2011-11-06 07:44:50

Skylinepoultry
Website

I can't wait to hatch out more chicks. I'm so ready to get this culling underway with my select stock I'm breeding.

#7 2011-11-06 13:41:47

gubi
Website

It will definitely be an exciting time when we can start to hatch more chick.  Us Canadians unfortunately have to make it through another winter first.  Skyline, you have a definite advantage with getting an extra generation in between.   

From what I understand now is that yellow legged pullets will breed true but a cockerel can have yellow legs and still carry the genes to make willow legs. 

Am I correct to assume then that a white legged rooster can also carry the genes to make blue legs?

Last edited by gubi (2011-11-06 14:41:23)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2011-11-06 13:59:40

poplar girl
Administrator

Isn't that the truth, Skyline you are very fortunate not to have to deal with a six month deep freeze where all breeding goes on hold! I know some will still hatch but most of us in Canada just aren't set up for winter hatching!

Yep Gubi, I think you have it right! I believe the barring gene masks the dermal pigment on the roosters so you don't see the green or blue but they can still be carriers.

I am working on a way to get our genetics study group going btw...will post on that soon!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2011-11-06 14:28:07

ipf

there is NO SUCH THING as a "willow gene". OR a "blue gene". Willow and blue result from a combination of alleles at three different loci - that's three completely separate genes at work.

Shank/Foot Color                     Genes
Near black with white soles    W+, Id, E
White shanks and feet                    W+, Id, e+
Black shanks, white soles    W+, id+, E
Blue shanks, white soles    W+, id+, e+
Near black with yellow soles    w, Id, E
Yellow shanks and feet                     w, Id, e+
Black shanks with yellow soles    w, id+, E
Green shanks with yellow soles    w, id+, e+

And yes the B locus inhibits dermal melanin but is incompletely dominant, so a (homozygous) barred male will express it more than a female.

#10 2011-11-06 15:00:22

gubi
Website

I edited my last post.  Sometimes what's on my mind doesn't come across the same way.  ipf by what I see on your chart EO's would be e+ so E is not of concern because we don't see any black legs. 
On the link Maggie's dad has it talks about the Id gene where hens are either Id/- or id+/- where roosters are Id/id+,Id/Id, or id+/id+.  A yellow legged hen will be Id/- where a Yellow legged rooster could be Id/Id homozygous or Id/id+ heterozygous that will throw 50% pullets with willow legs. 
I'm assuming then that my white legged rooster has a 50% chance to be Id/id+ or Id/Id.

#11 2011-11-06 15:12:19

poplar girl
Administrator

Obviously we need to get our genetics discussions going :oops: I am working on it right now...

Ipf in marraduna EOs which only have either white or yellow (none have black as far as I have seen so no "E" alleles) shanks in a very basic (read over simplified way) would what I said be correct? Claire's birds which is the line Monika's birds came from seem to all be barred so all males would be homozygous for barring. So males will have either yellow or white shanks but can carry the alleles for dermal color. Females will be either yellow, willow, white or blue shanked.

I actually found that when they are partially grown it is the easiest to see the willow and blue shank color...I find it harder to see on the older pullets and hens. 

Yep..need to work on getting that Genetics Party Started!!!

Edited to add...
OH and I see Gubi types faster than me!!!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer