Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#51 2011-11-01 11:41:08

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Greetings from Louisa County, Virginia!

That's not too bad! Nothing wrong with hoping for 100% but tough to achieve! I find it's easier to loose them at the start. Ah, it's been so long since I've seen veins...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-11-01 11:41:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#52 2011-11-01 14:01:27

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes those blood rings are likely down to the shipping 9soemtimes you get them if the eggs were really cold on collection), as they mean something started to grow.  Hopefully the rest are good.  As a ballpark, I believe 40-50% hatch is considered reasonable and fairly good for mailed eggs, anything over that is over-the-moon country! :jumping: 

You may be able to take photos of the eggs with the veins, if you look carefully sometimes you can see it moving in the egg, usually around near the dark spot eye/brain thing

#53 2011-11-04 01:52:39

Maggiesdad

Day 10 - Got a little antsy about those two clears in there, so we candled again tonight.
The two were still clear so we pulled them out and opened them. One had nothing, the other had the tiniest little ring of blood on the yolk. The three bloodrings from day 7 actually had dime sized embryos in them...

The other 20 are looking great! The twins were amazed to see them moving around inside.  :happycrowd"

James, I could have swore I heard a little voice saying "Bright light! Bright light!"  You didn't send me gremlins by mistake, I hope!

Claire, In your lowdown for Lindy Lou post, you spell out a day 18 lockdown... but reading behind you somewhere else recently, you were advocating a day 16 lockdown to give shaken aircells from shipping a better chance.   

If these were your peeps, what would you do? 16, 17, or 18 day lockdown?

#54 2011-11-04 02:32:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yeah that was more for non-mailed your own collected eggs.  For yours, I'd do Day 16.  Automatic for me with any mailed ones!  It may not even make a difference, but I read somewhere the first 11 days were the most important for turning and I'd hate to disturb the birdies too much in the last few days when them finding that aircell is crucial to survival. 

Good the others are growing,  I always mark my unknowns with an ? or X (if I am 90% sure they are duds)  then I know later which was I was unsure of before, you learn a lot that way.  :cheer: Come on you chicklets!

#55 2011-11-04 02:42:44

Maggiesdad

Thanks, will do!

I numbered them all on day 0, that way it's less pencil to shell time. DW has been logging Maggie's and my observations,  I posted a chart of them tonight. We are observing intently, since we're rolling on book learning, web learning and good old seat-of-the-pants, cross your fingers and whisper a prayer.

This is the best homeschooling project evar! :jumping:

#56 2011-11-04 02:52:58

Skylinepoultry
Website

They're so many variables. I base alot on egg size and the color coating (shiney or dull). Bigger eggs require more evaporation. Dull eggs release moisture faster than shiney eggs. These are my experiences. With these eggs Id say around 42 to 45 % humidity the first 18. One day out of the first 18 I always run my humidity down as far as it can go for 24 hours. The last three days I sock the moisture to em at around 50 to 60 % to hold steady what moisture they have left. Nothing worse than a drowned or chick stuck to its shell due to too much evaporation. The key is to see how much moisture you think got out or stayed in. Change your enviroment or settings to help with next hatch. Shipped eggs are different but close to the same methods. Hatching eggs is an art that you'll always be learning. Its never ending..

#57 2011-11-04 03:13:09

dixiechick

Hello everyone!!! I also got Basque eggs from James 3 weeks ago and they have gone into lockdown and are beginning to hatch as of this evening...just waiting for the new babies!!!:whistle:    :whistle:                :happycrowd"

#58 2011-11-04 12:27:04

poplar girl
Administrator

:congrats: dixiechick! I hope you get LOTS of babies!! Do you already have other chickens?

And :welcome: We would love to learn more about you! There is a place under Profile for you to add your location. And if you wanted to you could start your own Thread so that everyone can see you've joined and say hello!

This time of year, especially for those of us from colder places, new chicks are pretty exciting and it would be great to hear more about yours! :love:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#59 2011-11-04 17:40:21

Island Girl

dixiechick wrote:

Hello everyone!!! I also got Basque eggs from James 3 weeks ago and they have gone into lockdown and are beginning to hatch as of this evening...just waiting for the new babies!!!:whistle:    :whistle:                :happycrowd"

Welcome How are the chicks doing? Oh please tell us more.

XOX Monika

#60 2011-11-04 22:18:47

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hi Dixie and welcome,  You are in for a treat!  :EO: They will be big and yellow and fluffy and friendly! :cheer:

#61 2011-11-04 22:56:09

gubi
Website

welcome dixiechick.  You will be very happy with the EO's because :EO:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#62 2011-11-04 23:11:53

Skylinepoultry
Website

dixiechick wrote:

:welcome: Dixiechick.  Keep us updated and post them pics. Awesome group here. You'll be at home.

#63 2011-11-04 23:59:31

Maggiesdad

:welcome: Dixiechick! Update, please!!! :applause:

:happybday: dixiechick chooks!:chook::chook::chook::chook::chook::chook::chook:

Last edited by Maggiesdad (2011-11-04 23:59:50)

#64 2011-11-05 00:30:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

: :happybday: dixiechick chooks!:chook::chook::chook::chook::chook::chook::chook:

:thumbsup:

Adverts

Board footer