Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-01 04:45:30

Island Girl

Batch #2 please Susan

I just candled the eggs and am happy to say that 9 of the 24 are definitely fertile as well as both the Mille Fleur eggs =D I think many of the others may also be fertile they are just not as clear as the very obvious ones. Today is really only day 4 so I say go for it Susan send out batch #2. :cheer:

XOX Monika

2011-11-01 04:45:30

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-01 13:08:03

Susan
Administrator

Re: Batch #2 please Susan

Awesome!  It may be tomorrow though, I forgot to get bubble wrap- but I'll see what I can do :)

#3 2011-11-01 13:57:18

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:jumping: Yay more EO's.  Yeah, I'd definitely send them with bubble wrap, no way around it!  :thumbs:

#4 2011-11-01 14:59:22

Susan
Administrator

bubble wrap and popcorn!! Its the only way to go :jumping:

#5 2011-11-01 23:11:41

Susan
Administrator

Whew! Very busy day! Went for wrapping supplies, delivered 30 doz eggs, worked on the greenhouse (more on that later) and worked on a very exciting deal(again more on that later)- oh and shipped 26 more eggs to Monika. :)

#6 2011-11-02 04:40:08

Island Girl

:jumping: Thank you Susan, 'bator #2 is ready and waiting, the brooders are set up as well and the meat birds are booked in for processing (to make room for a flock of EOs =D ) I have a series of indoor brooders to house them for awhile and then an outside brooder that my first hatch is still in but they will he moving down to the floor so that the new chicks can move in when ready. I will be spending some time disinfecting the meat bird area before the EOs go in there! I have never used Virkon before but my friend brought me some today. I can't wait to get hatching and brooding again!

XOX Monika

#7 2011-11-02 11:24:26

poplar girl
Administrator

Virkon is good stuff IG.

And I can feel your happiness and excitement! I need to borrow just a little of that right now :)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2011-11-03 05:55:31

Island Girl

poplar girl wrote:

Virkon is good stuff IG.

And I can feel your happiness and excitement! I need to borrow just a little of that right now :)

Maybe you could share with me how you used it pg. I was thinking of removing all the pine shavings (of course) they will be disgusting! I will clean out the nest boxes and scrap off the perches and then attempt to swiffer out the cob webs etc. But now that it is so humid outside I can't figure out how in the world things will dry off  if I give it a good misting from top to bottom with a mixture of the Virkon (should I use a plant type mister?). What does everyone else do? I guess I could put a heater in there for a few days but I'm not convinced that would dry the coop out well enough. Hmmm, I am going to see if I have a picture of the coop on my photobucket account and post it here to give you a better idea of what my set up is like. Hopefully I will be back soon.

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2011-11-03 07:17:33)

#9 2011-11-03 10:03:48

Young Heritage

I use DE to keep my coops "Dry". Works great for me. Just scatter some of it around, it is a fine powder. Good for the chickens too.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#10 2011-11-03 11:44:54

poplar girl
Administrator

I remove all of the loose debris I can including sweeping up any small dust and dirt. If you have a build-up of poo you will definitely want to try to scrap as much of that off as you can. It is almost impossible for a disinfectant to penetrate through a deep layer of poo or dirt effectively. Not sure if you have a dirt floor, if you do that will be hard to clean. With the Virkon I make up a pail of it according to the label (I think it is 1g to 5L of water) and using hot water. For waterers, feeders, etc. I wash those first by emerging them in the Virkon if possible or by wiping them down good with a really wet cloth if they are too big to immerse. I do rinse these in fresh water afterwards. I generally then use a wet cloth to wipe down surfaces in the coop but I think a plant sprayer would work. You will need to get surfaces quite wet for the Virkon to penetrate and do a good job. I always wash down the dirtiest parts last. I don't rinse the Virkon off of the coop surfaces.

It is rarely really wet and humid here is Alberta so drying things out after cleaning has not been a problem I have faced. I would think for you this time of year a heater might be in order.

I will also use DE to help dry out damp (but not wet) surfaces as YH suggested. I rub it I to the bottom of my nest boxes and sprinkle it on the roosts and floor after cleaning and once things are mostly dry. Just try not to breath the stuff in, I think it's worse for the lungs than chook dander.

If you do find a picture of your coop I would love to see it! I am always so interested to see others set-ups and it might impact your cleaning strategy for sure.

I do wonder, for all that I try to keep things clean, with the chicken yards and soil in there how effective the cleaning I do is. I generally expose new chicks to dirt in slow stages. Very clean incubator, disinfected brooder and medicated starter for 8 weeks, relatively clean grow out area with access to outside at about 10 weeks and possibly start to interact with my older chickens a little, and then at about 16 weeks I will think about integrating them into the flock if I am going to keep them. So far I haven't had anyone get sick doing that.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2011-11-03 11:54:31

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Is the inside of the coop painted Monika?  Having chicks where older birds were when it's damp there's the risk of coccidiosis.  The virkon should help, it's supposed to stay wet 15minutes anyway.  Ours EOs were fine for cocci this year with broody hens  Can you out a fan in the coops to help dry them?

Ours are painted then pressure washed, and air dry days if needed. 

Hey Poplar Girl, it'll be just fine, I know I haven't moved any of mine yet, it is stressful.  I want them outside as long as possible but I kind if just want it over and done so I can relax for the winter too!

#12 2011-11-03 13:03:50

Susan
Administrator

I agree with the above advice and can't stress enough how it is the damp to worry about the most. I would definitely put a heater in to dry things and think about adding a fan up high, pointing out to remove as much moisture as possible.  Not trying to be a fear monger here, just that dampness is probably number one issue for the birds in winter, especially babies.

#13 2011-11-03 23:44:21

poplar girl
Administrator

I think it was Gubi that asked a very good question on another thread....did you have any problems with sick meat birds? If you didn't it might be best not to get everything wet, maybe just clean out all you can and wash the surfaces that will dry quickly or that you can take into a dry area like feeders, water's etc.

#14 2011-11-04 12:54:42

Susan
Administrator

How did the second batch travel Monika??

#15 2011-11-04 16:57:21

Island Girl

Good Morning Susan the second batch arrived safe and sound, nothing broken or cracked and the air sacks looked much happier too. I double checked the infertiles in batch 1 by cracking them open and confirmed it. There were no blood rings or anything like that. So batch 2 is happily tucked into the second bator =D I can't wait to see what we get.

pg to answer the question about the meat birds. They are not sick or anything like that, they are well just gross. Not anywhere near as disgusting as the typical white frankenbird with the crooked legs etc but I can't wait for processing day and to clean things up. As that will be my main EO area for the winter I just wanted to go an extra step with the cleaning process and disinfect the whole coop.

I am going to start another thread about this to continue picking brains :P

:EO:

XOX Monika

#16 2011-11-04 21:17:22

Susan
Administrator

Better than your nose! :P

Adverts

Board footer