Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-10-30 21:03:00

Island Girl

Another question about feather stubs

So my first EO that had hatched took my breath away, he was sooo big for a new chick. Remember he was the one that had feather stubs. Well the little stubs are gone now. I seem to remember someone commenting that they may go away and to not worry about them. So here is my question. If they are gone now and he is 6ish weeks old can I assume that they will not return? Hmmm, another question... Do I need to be concerned about breeding him if they do not return? I know feather stubs are a disqualification but if they do not continue to develop does it matter? :oops: That was another question. If he was just an average chick I probably wouldn't be so concerned but he is by far a superior chick by all measures. I think!! OK so I am not really sure, guess I better get that camera out again for more pictures so you can help me with his developing leg and feather color.

XOX Monika

2011-10-30 21:03:00

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-30 23:32:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Another question about feather stubs

I honestly don't know what to tell you.  Probably just wait and see what the stubs are like when he's grown up.  I know I have a superior roo and is looks like he is going to have a little side sprig on the left of his comb, but he is beefy, big with a wide head and neck and hardly any black on him.  He's yellow legged and friendly, so probably the only way I would use a side sprigger!   He'll be Speckled Jims replacement I think.  Time will tell, it always does.  I'm glad you have a good dude too.  You can tell the difference in size now by 8 week or so.

#3 2011-10-30 23:47:29

gubi
Website

IG you are not likely going to hatch a perfect EO at this point.  They will all have faults some more serious, crooked toes and some less, feather stubs, side spring etc.  I think we will have to try to look at the whole picture to select from and look at the good parts more so then the minor imperfections.  This is not like a perfected show line of birds like Heather and Rico talk about when they talk about culling.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2011-10-31 00:16:17

Susan
Administrator

I agree with Claire and Stefan- looking at the whole picture is important when choosing birds to breed. I don't think at this point anyone has a "faultless" bird. We are just working towards the ideal. It will take many generations yet. :) the way I look at it, if they have 3 out my 5 criteria, they are keepers and I will try to pair them with mates that complement them.

#5 2011-10-31 01:22:54

poplar girl
Administrator

I agree with all the excellent advice given, if he is good for all but feather stubs I would keep him. The feather stubs may be very difficult to get rid of (I will be starting to find out how difficult next year) but I would still rather have feather stubs than lots of other bad traits that affect productivity etc.

Most likely the feather stubs will become noticeable again once he gets older. That's what happened with mine. I have birds with feather stubs up their shanks AND birds with little feathers between their toes. Maybe feather footed Canadian EOs will catch on :whistle:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer