Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-10-27 17:32:01

Island Girl

The eggs have arrived ...

... and now my heart beats a little faster! :love: Thank you in taking such care wrapping them up Susan. I can't wait to get them into the incubator but I know they need to rest first. Today, 21 days seems like a long time from now but I know it goes by quickly.

XOX Monika

2011-10-27 17:32:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-27 17:55:37

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: The eggs have arrived ...

:thumbsup: Best of luck.... I am so excited go for you and sorry I couldn't send you any Monika. :chook:

#3 2011-10-27 18:16:44

gubi
Website

good luck with the hatch.  This breed is really fortunate to have people like Claire, James and Susan that go through all the trouble with packaging and shipping eggs.
:thumbsup:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2011-10-27 18:39:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The breed totally deserves it!  I just feel guilty locking them up at breeding time, they are the only adults out foraging on this cold dreary day.

#5 2011-10-27 20:49:41

Susan
Administrator

Yay! I'm always so nervous when I have eggs in transport. Glad they made it alright let me know when you want the second batch! I'm collecting now for you again, but I know pops wants them too, so just let me know when you see some veining and off the next bunch will go :) that way I'll give him these ones if you want to wait longer and none will go to waste. I hope you see something early though, so they can grow up together as a single group- much less work!

#6 2011-10-28 01:24:40

poplar girl
Administrator

:happycrowd" oh how exciting!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2011-10-28 06:51:40

Skylinepoultry
Website

Good Luck on the Hatch!

You'll be in Basque heaven before you know it.

#8 2011-10-28 13:03:34

Susan
Administrator

Well, for now, I'm holding off getting eggs to anyone until I hear that Monika's are developing. One cracked in shipping so Monika opened it to check for fertility and it was infertile :(  Monika, feel free if you want to post the results for everyone here to read. We all learn from these things. I sure hope the rest are good to go!

#9 2011-10-28 13:25:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Don't panic...same thing happened to me with eggs from Claire last spring. The cracked one was infertile but almost every other egg developed and I got the best hatch I ever from shipped eggs!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2011-10-28 13:48:34

Susan
Administrator

Good to hear PG. I've never hatched at this time of year so I hope it doesn't affect the fertility. I am using lights, so let's hope.

#11 2011-10-28 13:58:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hopefully it will be just fine.  Poplar girl, you are right and Prairiechick has one cracked this spring (eggs sent in Feb to Sask...:Crazy:) too (with think it froze) and she got the best hatch ever too.  So hopefully it bodes well!

And Susan I know how you feel, it'll be OK.  You can replace eggs easily, but I hate to disappoint people especially when there's the shipping costs.  Maybe Pops would do a test hatch for you Susan with this weeks eggs.

Let us know Monika!  There'll be the odd one infertile but it's usually only 1 or 2 out fo a couple of dozen, these boys are pretty efficient!  If you get blood rings at the 5 days, they may have had a really rough ride, handling in the mail is still random as well as we try to pack them.  I don't put fragile on them any more, pretty well all year.  I was telling a patient this summer about shipping eggs (she is contracted under Purolater or one of the big ones) and she said someone was delivering parcels to them to deliver and there was 'fragile' one and she said they said, "oh, there's one marked kick me"...all I could think of was Jim Carrey in Ave Ventura.

#12 2011-10-28 17:50:26

Island Girl

Hi everyone, the egg that was cracked was in fact fertile I indicated I was :( to Susan because it was fertile, (and would now not be a chick). Sorry Susan, sometimes I am not clear with what I write. It sounds good in my head but by the time it filters out of my fingertips to to the keyboard it not as clear as I thought it was :whistle: The next thing after this post is to put the eggs into the waiting 'bator. I will let you know how the air sacks looks as I candle them as I put them in.

XOX Monika

#13 2011-10-28 21:09:23

Susan
Administrator

Lol! That's funny- I thought it was a typo :oops:  that's okay though, the fertility issue at this time of year is something I wonder about, though Sparkle definitely enjoys his job.... :)

#14 2011-10-28 23:43:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Curly had no porblem even when he lost his points on his comb to frostbite last winter.

#15 2011-10-29 00:44:53

poplar girl
Administrator

My grandpa EO with no points on his comb and big swollen frozen feet was also a very successful daddy. In breeding certainly doesn't appear to be causing any fertility or vigor issues with the EOs so far!

#16 2011-10-29 00:58:32

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I feel bad for them when they lose their points.  Blondie lost a couple of tips too and she kept laying.  It was where they were in the bran, at the big cow door end, big drafts there and I didn't bundle them up as I though the fresh air was better than a ton of condensation.  I'll put the chanteclers there this year....

Adverts

Board footer