Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-01 06:19:49

Skylinepoultry
Website

Music for your poultry

When people come to my house they always ask. Why do you have a radio playing everywhere there is poultry? I think the sound of music and listening to the voices on the radio keeps them more docile and tamed and not so startled when they see or hear human voices. Plus I think it helps keep predators away. I even keep a radio going in my hatchery as well. Try it out and see if you notice any difference in their egg laying too. Mine do better when I have a radio playing 247!

2011-07-01 06:19:49

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-01 12:32:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Music for your poultry

So what kind of music do they get, or is it more talk radio?  I heard that talk radio was supposed to keep racoons away.

Our two 3 years old basques that were brooded in our garage in 2008, have no fear of lawnmowers because as chicks, we parked the lawnmower right by their brooder and it was LOUD :sad: so they will get used to anything!

#3 2011-07-01 14:45:11

Susan
Administrator

I started playing classical music in the barn after my birds were attacked by the neighbors dogs. I had one hen that survived and after a $1500 vet bill, I did everything in my power to keep her alive- felt I owed it to her (and me) after losing 50 birds. Classical music is supposed to help heal - whether that's true or not, its always on in the barn now!

#4 2011-07-01 19:31:21

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

That was such a shame Susan.  I am still sorry it happened to you and your flock.  I hope the classical music is healing for your hen.  =D

#5 2011-07-03 20:00:38

Flat Rock Farm

I keep the radio going 24/7, it does seem to keep the birds calmer and was also what I heard was a way to help keep predators away.  I go between Country and Modern music, not sure what the like better??? LOL

#6 2011-07-03 20:41:17

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

So what kind of music do they get, or is it more talk radio?  I heard that talk radio was supposed to keep racoons away.

Our two 3 years old basques that were brooded in our garage in 2008, have no fear of lawnmowers because as chicks, we parked the lawnmower right by their brooder and it was LOUD :sad: so they will get used to anything!

A little bit of everything. I like rock but they mostly listen to modern and talk. I think its very important for newborn chicks to have some type of music playing all the time around them.
Your right Claire. Keeping some type of human activity close to them will keep them civilized for sure.

Adverts

Board footer