Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-06-21 15:26:05

hollowridge

Water Belly

Was wondering if anyone else had this? :nervous:
We were processing our young roo’s last week and figured we had an older marraduna lady that hasn’t been laying for a while (she was just over two) that we would have to take care of also.  She actually waddled when she walked.  We figured that she was a bit on the cubby side and was having issues walking as we did a few older gals before that had lots of fat on their bellies.  Didn’t like the fact of having to do this as she was the last remaining E.O. from our starting line.  Well to make a long story short (sorry) when we got to the insides of the process she was full of liquid.  Never seem this before and was truthfully grossed out.  We then buried her.  Did a little goggling and found an article that called it “WATER BELLY”. 
I now feel so sorry for the girl.  I wish I knew about it before and am upset that she may have been suffering. :duh: Hubby said that we did the right thing, which we did to end her suffering but really wished we would have caught it long before this.  Has anyone else had this in their birds?
I know our first birds were not healthy birds.  We have come a long way with the strength of these birds thanks to Riverbend.  This was our third year of getting hatching eggs from him, plus some of our own and the health of this breed has come a long way.
Here is a site that we looked at.   

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68731 … or-ascites

2015-06-21 15:26:05

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-06-21 18:52:17

Island Girl

Re: Water Belly

I think this must be what one of my hens had when I butchered all my EOs. I just recall cutting into her and all this liquid came out and I thought thats odd, must be from scalding the feathers etc. :duh: Reading your post as well as some of the ones in your link was interesting. Its definitely something I will be more aware of now. Thanks hr for sharing.

XOX Monika

#3 2016-06-26 17:49:03

hollowridge

We were like :shock:.  Ran felt so bad cause we had plucked her, then when we seen that we said no way are we eating her, so we buried her.  Then at the end of the day we went to google and found what we had.  SO SO MUCH TO LEARN !!

#4 2016-06-26 17:50:24

hollowridge

ooups "felt so bad" :duh:

Adverts

Board footer