Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2016-05-02 11:49:38

hollowridge

side sprigs/yellow legs

:hi:
Okay, have a question on side sprigs. :(
I have done some reading and I am still a little confused.  I understand that the gene that carries this can be recessive and not seen but the bird is a carrier.  Also that you need both birds to carry the gene in order to show, but then the chick is then also a carrier.  Now does this carry through with 100% results?  Or do you get 50 – 50 for example?
Any help please?

Now for the question on leg colour.  :shock:
Have a rooster with white legs and a hen with yellow.  Result of these two was 3 chicks, 2 with yellow legs and one with white.
So buy this, our thought is that our rooster carries the yellow leg gene, but it may not be dominant, so we would get mixed results?
Again any help please.  :huh:

Here is the story.  Kept LS (little shit) to breed this year.  Had really BAD results but that was our fault with a new incubator and temp probes!! :stomp:
Kept him even though he was a nasty fellow because he had the following traits that we wanted and needed in our line.  1 he had nice yellow legs, 2 his chest colours were not as dark as our beloved Rico, 3 no seen side sprigs. We gave him the majority of our girls, all without side sprigs, some yellow legs some not.
Well I got the nice yellow legs with his chicks, but out of 8 chicks 6 are roosters and are sporting a very nice selection of side sprigs!!!!!!!!!  The two hens we are not sure as of yet, but one is almost white in colour so that is no good and the other girl has a green tint to her legs.  This guy has given me nothing but grief!!!!!!!!! :banginghead:
Rico, has white legs, but we think carries the yellow gene, no seen side sprigs, but think carries the gene, unless it only takes one to make a side sprig, and he is very dark in the chest. We gave him a girl that was so pretty but had a tiny little bump on the back of her cone.
Our fear as of now is that all we have gone through to get to this state will have to be erased and we will have to start over from scratch.  :sad: :sick:

2016-05-02 11:49:38

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2016-05-02 18:04:45

gubi
Website

Re: side sprigs/yellow legs

I started with breeding white legged rooster over yellow legged hens for the first two generations.  Now in the last two years all of my chicks have yellow legs.  Leg color is simple genetics side sprigs probably more complicated.  I did receive some side sprigs in my original birds from Claire but never used any in breeding and never had any hatch with them.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2016-05-03 11:07:18

hollowridge

Re: side sprigs/yellow legs

:thanks: Gubi
I think we can live with the results of yellow legs, as we have enough to control that one.  As for the side sprigs:  None of the girls showed them and the rooster didn't either but they have a cone full of them. :duh:

Adverts

Board footer