Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2016-03-03 18:01:59

vic's chicks

EO rooster temperment ?

I am considering having a small flock of EO s. I have two hens who have great temperment but I haven't heard what the roosters are like. My birds are all free ranged. I have nine grandchildren who are rigorously trained in how to behave around chickens etc. My Roos are all gentle. The kids are never left alone with the Flock but I won't keep any roo that even looks like he may consider them the enemy.

2016-03-03 18:01:59

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2016-03-03 19:12:05

gubi
Website

Re: EO rooster temperment ?

roosters are generally very calm and friendly.  They can however be intimidating to younger children because they have no fear of humans.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2016-03-04 00:06:44

poplar girl
Administrator

It really depends on the rooster as much as the breed I think.  Most of my EO roosters have been very well behaved. A few have been nasty.

like anything it is genetic so try to source eggs from someone with rooster(s) with good temperment.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2016-03-04 05:29:18

LNSS

I've always seen Roosters well trained & being , while kids , not as much !!

;)

#5 2016-03-04 11:47:29

Flat Rock Farm

Well coming into my 7th year with EO's I can say I have had at least 3 nasty boys out of the lot that I have hatched over the years.  Not sure what turns them one day they are nice and then look out, each one of them were processed and not used for breeding.

Overall they are great!! :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer