Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2016-02-04 16:58:33

hollowridge

Hello

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_4891%20feb4%20th_zpsvvxh3xsv.jpg
:hi:

We have switched our birds around on Jan.27th to get ready for hatching.  Only a week has gone by and it feels like 3, because I can’t wait to hatch.  LS has been as bad as ever, can’t wait till I will be done with that, I sure do hope that it will be worth it and he throws some really nice pullets! :whistle:
We are still in the planning stages for the new coup, have changed things more times then we can count.  Was planning on holding off hatching this year till it was completed but not sure if we will be able to finish this year with time and money restraints.  We were lucky to come across some great deals on both metal and wood siding, but that still leaves a lot to purchase.  Will have to price cement as we think we will go that route for the flooring; still scared it will be too cold in the winter so may have to cover with something not sure. :huh:
Ran into a snag with purchase of a new incubator.  Was checking out prices and asking questions; it was suggested to us to try our local farmers co-op, so we did.  Ordered a Genesis 1588 with turner from them November 30th and was told it would be in in 2-3 weeks, they were cheaper by $10 then on-line at berry hill and no shipping.  Well Christmas came and went and still no incubator.  The price on-line has gone up another $20 and time is running out for us to wait.  Found out that it is sitting at the border to come in and the company is having issues with accounts.  Will give them another week and will have to bite the bullet to pay the extra and get it on-line.  That is if Berry Hill has it in stock and then the time for it to be shipped. :duh:
We have had a mild winter so far, a few storms but this past week or so we have had day time highs in the low teens.  Took advantage of that and cleaned the chickens outside runs up, scrapped a layer of poop sand off and added a layer of fresh sand that I had bagged up in the fall for that and the driveway.  As you can see we have let some of them out into the roadways to enjoy some of the hidden greens that have been showing up as the snow melts when we are home.  Their big run is still covered in snow as I can’t get in there with the tractor.
Hope everyone is having a good and safe winter.  Would love to hear of your plans and what you have been up too.  I do believe there may be a few of you that are hatching now?  Would love to hear how things are going.
Take care and looking forward to an early spring. :hatch:

2016-02-04 16:58:33

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2016-02-05 01:32:36

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Hello

Thanks for the update Hollowridge.

Thoughts...sometimes being and Adult and waiting 'til everything is ready is highly over rated.  Hatch now, worry about where to put them later :P

i really hope your new incubator is able to clear customers, I have been where you are with important stuff stuck at the boarder.

We have also had a mild winter, above zero temp again this weekend. But it's still winter here with snow and frozen ground, not like some areas.

So how long will you wait to start collecting eggs? Just curious as I've been told it can take up to a month to be sure.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2016-02-06 11:49:38

hollowridge

You are so right PG, when it comes to hatching I have to say that it is better then Christmas for me, and I :love: Christmas =D

Glad to hear that you are also having a good winter, I know it isn't over yet, but it is getting a lot shorter.  We had to go and keep the chickens from the rubarb since the snow is melting and had to put up a temporary fence, we were able to drive a rod into the ground, only had about an inch of frost about 1 inch down, :shock:

Our plan is 4 weeks from the transfer date; we also heard that a month to be safe, so we are hoping that 4 weeks will count :whistle:.
So the plan is to start collecting on Feb24th and set on March 2, ( early) with a hatch date set for March 22nd.

#4 2016-02-06 12:41:04

poplar girl
Administrator

You'll have chicks just a few days old for Easter that way HR!

My first chick (yes just one :shock:) will hatch today. My young cockerels took some time to figure things out. Luckily I had a broody d'uccle so she gets to be a momma and everyone will be happy, hopefully anyway. Second hatch, 13 fertile eggs, is next weekend.

This mild winter weather is a bit disconcerting I must say. I am enjoying it but I wonder about having enough moisture for spring. And the snow needs to stay to protect plants and trees in case it does get cold. Nothing that a person can do about the weather though is there?

Your coop is so pretty, I can hardly wait to see the new one!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2016-02-06 19:23:48

Shnookie

Hi, hollowridge.  Your birds look nice and clean, considering the puddles in your yard.  It has been really mild here most of the winter and there is hardly any snow (but lots of wind).  My chickens can't go out.  I don't have the right setup yet, and have been considering moving.  I need to make up my mind one day soon.  I had trouble with mites last winter, so wasn't able to breed my chickens in the spring.  I got the mites cleaned up (haven't seen any lately, touch wood), and put my chickens into their breeding groups in fall, so I can start collecting eggs when I want.  They have been breeding all winter, in spite of the EO boys having frozen the tops of their combs, and most eggs have been fertile.  I didn't try to hatch any.  Unfortunately some of the girls are getting large bare spots from being bred.  I have been thinking maybe I should take the boys out for a month or so to let the girls have a rest before I want to collect eggs.

I've also been wondering about building a coop insulated with straw bales.  I haven't done any research to see if others have done this, just been looking into building products and a possible plan.

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#6 2016-02-07 13:24:56

poplar girl
Administrator

We have a straw bale coop Shnookie, it was the first coop we built. The first three years or so it was pretty good. The straw is a good insulator so it stays cool in the summer and is relatively easy to heat in the winter.

About 2 years ago the mice moved into the walls through and it is a nightmare where that is concerned. I've tried just about everything to get rid of the mice to no avail. For that reason I would not recommend a straw bale coop unless your design is better than ours and is mouse proof!

#7 2016-02-11 13:16:36

hollowridge

poplar girl wrote:

Your coop is so pretty, I can hardly wait to see the new one!

Ha Ha I can't wait to see it either!!!  It will be a lot different then the last one.

#8 2016-02-11 13:27:27

hollowridge

Shnookie wrote:

Hi, hollowridge.  Your birds look nice and clean, considering the puddles in your yard. 

They have been breeding all winter, in spite of the EO boys having frozen the tops of their combs, and most eggs have been fertile.  I didn't try to hatch any.  Unfortunately some of the girls are getting large bare spots from being bred.  I have been thinking maybe I should take the boys out for a month or so to let the girls have a rest before I want to collect eggs.

Just a little bit of OCD, in me, they get their coop cleaned once a week sometimes it has been earlier then that if they are house bound.

A few of the favorites are getting the bare spots also, have tired to put the saddles on them but the little buggers are so smart that so far no matter what design we come up with they get them off and look at you as if to say " really, why bother" :duh:

#9 2016-02-13 02:16:44

Shnookie

I have a couple of hens that need hoodies - they are getting bald spots on the back of their heads from the rooster hanging on.

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

Adverts

Board footer