Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2016-01-26 18:06:01

Island Girl

Pair breeding discussion

I posted this onto the ACE forum and would really like to have a discussion here too :thumbsup:

I am curious as to your opinions and experiences about pair breeding. I have always had my EOs breed in groups but just yesterday took the time to set up my coops to have my two main breeding roosters paired up with only one hen. After all the work I put into my flock last year I am extremely happy with the results. No MG (as of last testing :P) all new birds and a lovely gene pool mix. It was an insane amount of work but it was the way I needed to do it for my peace of mind. This years chicks will be part of the great reward of all those efforts. So I started thinking that I should pick my two of my biggest and bestest hens and pair them up with my 2 roos. Roo #3 is in with younger girls who are not mature enough in my opinion to breed yet. Of course I will not get as many eggs only breeding 2 hens but I don't really need replacement hens this year, so this years hatching is for improving the EOs in my flock. I will rehome hens in the fall that don't make the cut or that have been replaced. Please share with me your thoughts, plans and purpose for this years breeding.

XOX Monika

2016-01-26 18:06:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2016-01-27 01:53:29

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Pair breeding discussion

Posted this on ACE as well:
I have been pair breeding for a few years now. I like the amount of information I gain about the parents and know about the offspring. It also allows me to manage inbreeding and genetic diversity in my flock. I better understand the egg production of the hens as a result for example. I have found most years I have one or two pairs that produce the most eggs and best chicks and that, if I hadn't pair mated, I would have ended up selecting a lot of very closely related birds as my keepers. Knowing the parents of each chick I intentionally keep the best from several different pairs.

The drawback is it can be slow. Sometimes a hen you've chosen isn't laying eggs. Or a rooster is infertile. Or a pair you thought would produce really nice chicks produces nothing but culls.

I plan to write an article for the next NABHA newsletter on the subject including how I go about it so stay tuned Monika :chook:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2016-01-27 12:16:31

Flat Rock Farm

I have never pair bred for the single reason that PG mentioned.....it's slow.  I have them in groups and will hatch batches from each group.  I personally would rather hatch a lot and pick my keepers in the Fall and re-home the culls.

#4 2016-01-27 13:46:32

poplar girl
Administrator

I have hatched (set alot more eggs but actual healthy chicks) over 100 EOs all from pair breeding 2 years ago FRF so it can be done!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer