Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-10-19 01:47:49

Island Girl

4+ weeks old

Just for the fun of it, here are a few pictures of my babies! The last picture is of MV, my EOXSumatra  (enjoy it Flat Rock Farm, I think you have a soft spot for her  :love:) I think 'its' a 'she', what do you guys think?

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/FrenchWheatenMaransOct2011009.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/FrenchWheatenMaransOct2011010.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/FrenchWheatenMaransOct2011011.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/FrenchWheatenMaransOct2011012.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/FrenchWheatenMaransOct2011013.jpg

XOX Monika

2011-10-19 01:47:49

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-19 02:45:10

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: 4+ weeks old

Oh what sweeties! Lovely babies. A couple really nice honey colored ones, pullets? Maybe not, just beautiful golden boys, at least the one in the first picture looks to be.

MV is beautiful. I surely hope she's a she!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-10-19 02:48:24

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh but with the barring MV might be a boy...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-10-19 12:47:34

Susan
Administrator

I'm thinking those two honey ones are pullets too- I've never had a roo with that colouring. :cheer:

#5 2011-10-19 18:16:17

Flat Rock Farm

Oh IG nice looking babies and you are right I love MV :love: and yes I think your right and is female :thumbs:

#6 2011-10-19 19:54:47

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Lovely.... :love: Notice how MV's long wings hang down lower like her Mommas.  The EOs have them tucked up higher.  She is going to get some red on her chest too!  I think she is a she (if there is no genetic rule a barred one form a barred and back parents has to be male), but it is so hard to know with the crazy collision of genetics...and no sibs to compare to.  She has a feminine face (like an EO), which is more than I can say for her sumatra mother who as sweet as she can be, looks calculating most of the time!  The barring looks more dark and mottled and feminine like a cuckoo marans too.

I agree with Susan and even the grey birdy in pic two with willow legs looks like a pullet we hatched and it going to be Lindy Lous girl.  I found the greyest blackest birds has the greenest/greyest/bluest legs.  The little roo in pics 3 and 4 looks really nice and has an identical brother too (apart from the bro looks like he is going to have a clavell :banginghead: ).  Beautiful birds Monika, hope you do even better with the next hatch.  At least they are not coming so far!

I love seeing all these pics! :jumping:

#7 2011-10-19 20:04:32

texastinsel

So pretty!!  This makes my heart smile to see such pretty little chicks!!!:love:

#8 2011-10-19 20:41:08

Susan
Administrator

6 eggs collected today so far for you Monika! So just to recap, here's what you are getting from me this fall. The Eos that are in the "breeding coop" are headed by Sparkle. The young roo from BHR is in there too, and may be fertilizing the girls as well but I don't think so quite yet. Sequin is in there as are 10 of my other girls. Some of those are my breeders, some are undecided on for next year. I have not done a test hatch we these guys- you will be doing that, I guess :). There is the potential for some great birds as well as mediocre. Of the 6 eggs collected today, 4 are the shiny medium brown and 2 are shiny, same size and shape but creamy brown. Do you want the light coloured eggs or shall I just send the darker ones.?  All the eggs are still smaller than usual due to the age of the pullets. Oh- and I store them in the garage where it stays about 10 degrees in styrofoam egg cartons at a 30 degree angle which I switch twice a day. Let me know what you want me to do. I'm thinking of shipping the first batch on Monday which will be 6 days of collecting and potentially 36 eggs. Or I could ship 24ish  on Monday and 24ish by Wed or Thursday so your hatches are close enough in age to grow up together

#9 2011-10-19 23:28:09

gubi
Website

Who else wants to skip winter and go right to spring so we can hatch nice EO chicks just like IG?  I think that those two honey coloured chicks are pullets.  I like the color on that last EO cockerel in pictures 3 & 4.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2011-10-20 00:01:24

poplar girl
Administrator

Me ME! I want to skip winter!

I have had on surprise beautiful golden chicky tuen into a little rooster. I will have to take some pictures to show...

So exciting watching them grow up up.

#11 2011-10-20 02:43:47

Island Girl

Susan wrote:

6 eggs collected today so far for you Monika! So just to recap, here's what you are getting from me this fall. The Eos that are in the "breeding coop" are headed by Sparkle. The young roo from BHR is in there too, and may be fertilizing the girls as well but I don't think so quite yet. Sequin is in there as are 10 of my other girls. Some of those are my breeders, some are undecided on for next year. I have not done a test hatch we these guys- you will be doing that, I guess :). There is the potential for some great birds as well as mediocre. Of the 6 eggs collected today, 4 are the shiny medium brown and 2 are shiny, same size and shape but creamy brown. Do you want the light coloured eggs or shall I just send the darker ones.?  All the eggs are still smaller than usual due to the age of the pullets. Oh- and I store them in the garage where it stays about 10 degrees in styrofoam egg cartons at a 30 degree angle which I switch twice a day. Let me know what you want me to do. I'm thinking of shipping the first batch on Monday which will be 6 days of collecting and potentially 36 eggs. Or I could ship 24ish  on Monday and 24ish by Wed or Thursday so your hatches are close enough in age to grow up together

Hi Susan

Could you please send 24ish on Monday and then 24ish on Wed/Thurs, that would work out very well =D I am not sure what the difference in the light and dark eggs mean? Are dark more preferable than light? Does it make a difference in chicks or just a preference in eating eggs shell color (as some people won't eat brown shelled eggs etc)? Hmmm, does a chick that hatches from a medium brown egg lay medium brown eggs and then the same for lighter colored eggs? Always questions :whistle:

XOX Monika

#12 2011-10-20 05:15:28

Susan
Administrator

To follow the standard that we know, we want them to lay a shiny medium brown egg. I don't know who is laying the lighter coloured egg or why they are that light. Could be the BHrs,could be mine- I haven't been able to tell yet. But if you don't want those ones ( or just a few) that's fine, just so I know.

#13 2011-10-20 06:30:31

Island Girl

Lets go with mostly shiny medium brown eggs if we can but do put in a few of the others and I will try to mark those eggs/chicks just to see what happens. Thanks Susan for all the effort that you are putting forth with this for me.

XOX Monika

#14 2011-10-20 11:22:00

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan, I don't think you are getting any BHR eggs yet, the girls will be too young. I still have mine from those hatches kept separate and no eggs yet. The rooster from the first BHR hatch might be fertile but as you said probably not, I only kept one of the second hatch and he is just learning to crow and not bothering the girls yet.

#15 2011-10-20 13:01:36

Susan
Administrator

Your probably right PG how old is oldest one of the pair I got? She is starting to "squat". I have girls that I bred from my pair and also a couple from Claire's in there. Claire could you please refresh my memory as to the parents of the girls (and boys)I got from yu this year? Has anyone else seen these light coloured eggs show up this year?  I do have my Silkies in with the EOs, but they lay a smaller egg, so I thought I would jave no problem telling them apart.

#16 2011-10-20 16:08:45

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Ha! That's what I thought with the sumatra's eggs..... :huh:

Parents of all this springs were dark coloured pale yellow legged Dad Curly and 5 mothers.  Moms Blondie, and 4 of Jims daughters.  One was deceased the first week we let them loose in the spring :sad: and she was really red/black mottled/friendly. The other 3 are gold with black columbian, one is smaller and narrower and less mottled, the other two big bloomered and wide, some white legs, some yellow.  No blue legs or clavells.  The eggs from the three live daughters and Blondie are paler. Only the two pullets we bred in year 2 had darker eggs (3-4 on marans scale), but most other hens we have had lay, lay paler brown (2 or so on marans scale) look like big shiny orpington or wyandotte eggs.

#17 2011-10-20 19:06:00

Susan
Administrator

Okay, so maybe those are the pullets from Claire, as there are 3 of them in there.

#18 2011-10-20 19:20:31

Susan
Administrator

Something else to think about IG- Mitsy, my Milles Fleurs just started laying and if you want, I can add those in too! :)

#19 2011-10-22 00:50:04

Island Girl

Oh my, how could I say no! My friend Debbie was very excited to hear this. So I think if you are willing to add them to an order that would be awesome. I can hardly wait! I have never had Milles Fleurs before, are there any special arrangements for the chicks that I should be thinking about?

XOX Monika

#20 2011-10-22 01:23:15

Susan
Administrator

I think the chicks would be fine together for a little bit, but they are WAY smaller than EOs. Also very timid, so best if they can be reared apart. It was her first egg 2 days ago, so there may not be more than 2 or 3,, but if they can be used, I'd be glad to pop them in with the rest.

#21 2011-10-22 23:40:39

pops coops
Website

Susan we will also be starting to incubate in a week or so

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#22 2011-10-23 01:41:22

Susan
Administrator

Well, I'm shipping to Monika on Monday and Wed or Thurs, so I can probably help you out. Do you also want Milles Fleurs eggs?  (BTW, remember how you said you weren't going to hatch so many next year? Does that not count any more?? :) :) ) Ahh Pops, you've got it bad!

#23 2011-10-23 02:34:25

pops coops
Website

sorry every thing is set up or will be set up will be hatching all winter   SORRY

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#24 2011-10-23 06:08:33

Skylinepoultry
Website

I've got to get two more orders to fill and then ill be collecting eggs for young heritage and some more for my self to start off the winter hatchings. All the eggs that have been laid so far have all been exactly the same color and the eggs just keep getting bigger. I need to take some pics of all these eggs and post. I swear some of the eggs have been so big I can't put them in a carton. Massive!

#25 2011-10-23 07:52:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:thumbs: :EO: Their eggs can be quite big.  :thumbsup:  We found a chantecler hen sitting on the latest secret EO stash today in the firewood when we went to move it to the house.... needless to say the chanty was mad!  We'd better watch her tommorrow.  Nothing in the eggs anyway.  Phew. :whistle:

Adverts

Board footer