Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-12-30 18:56:03

poplar girl
Administrator

It's almost time

The chicken pens are clean and my incubating consumables have been replenished. Most of the hens and pullets are laying thanks to some artificial light. Hoping to get my breeding records from last year updated later today. And January 1st is just a couple days away.

That all means it's time to picks some breeding pairs of Basques and start to collect eggs for hatching! Hoping to have eggs in the incubator in two or three weeks :chickout:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2015-12-30 18:56:03

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-12-30 19:22:49

Flat Rock Farm

Re: It's almost time

Your brave starting up the incubators so early PG!!  LOL

Nothing going in mine until mid March :whistle:

#3 2015-12-31 02:13:21

poplar girl
Administrator

And my goal is to be done hatching by then FRF...we'll see how it goes!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2015-12-31 11:41:33

hollowridge

PG, you are making me get the fever.  =D  We have been hatching before the first of March for the last few years.  Works out great cause as the older girls slack off the young start getting into action and we always have eggs. :thumbs:

This year we are torn on what to do.  We plan to build a new building this spring 18 x 20 with 4 divisions in it and a center hall.  Still debating on a cement floor but that is another story.  So not sure if we will hold off hatching till that is almost ready or have to cull 1/2 our birds to make room for new.  :huh:

Keep us updated on your hatching, I just :love: doing that!!!

#5 2015-12-31 12:59:41

Flat Rock Farm

poplar girl wrote:

And my goal is to be done hatching by then FRF...we'll see how it goes!

Makes sense for sure.  My biggest fear if I hatch too early is the power going out and me scrambling to keep chicks warm.

Hubby has cleaned out the other half of the bottom of the barn and he has left the work bench, it's perfect for setting up my brooders.  The incubators I still like to keep in the house, all the better to watch them hatch!! LOL

#6 2015-12-31 13:54:29

poplar girl
Administrator

I have done the "powers out" scramble with both chicks and incubating eggs. The barn is a big building so it takes a day or two to really start to cool down. For the incubator and brooders we have battery powered backup that will last about 4-6 hours and then a generator. I never worry much about the fridge or freezer but I'll start that baby up for my chooks =D

HR...sometimes the best motivation to get a building done is to have immediate need of it! Okay, that might be bad advice :oops: Nothing wrong with culling hard early though, there are lots of traits that you can see by then. I also like that the new pullets fill the eggless gap in the fall. And everyone is plenty large enough for butcher fairly early so I have time to clean out all the three season coops well before winter. And winter is by far the quietest time of my year so I have time to enjoy the little fuzzy butts!

Didn't get my records updated last night so I am off to do some this morning...

#7 2016-01-02 03:45:37

LNSS

Your Brave starting so early, keep us posted , first we need to get the strike over !!
Not one egg for a while , but short days & overcast makes it dull .
I really want to fire up the light to extend the day , but !!!!

#8 2016-01-02 16:41:02

Island Girl

Just stop it pg! :shock: No I shall not start early, no I shall not start early, no I shall not start early ....

XOX Monika

#9 2016-01-03 14:02:32

poplar girl
Administrator

When you think about it, it's really not that early. If I put birds together today, start collecting eggs in a couple days I won't set them for probably two weeks plus 3 weeks to incubate, that's chicks by about the 2nd week of February. Mid April they will be 8 weeks and ready to move to the 3 season coop =D

#10 2016-01-04 01:03:07

poplar girl
Administrator

The boys have a girlfriend each now!

#11 2016-01-04 19:10:01

Flat Rock Farm

:jumping: :chickout:

#12 2016-01-05 05:41:09

Island Girl

poplar girl wrote:

When you think about it, it's really not that early. If I put birds together today, start collecting eggs in a couple days I won't set them for probably two weeks plus 3 weeks to incubate, that's chicks by about the 2nd week of February. Mid April they will be 8 weeks and ready to move to the 3 season coop =D

Now I am doing the math here too, lol! When do I want to have the new spring chicks laying their eggs? How many replacement hens do I want? How many cockerels do I want to fill the freezer with? When will it be warm enough to  put out chicks?

Ohoh ..... has it started?

XOX Monika

#13 2016-01-05 05:42:49

Island Girl

So how many roos pg? Pair breeding? How many do you plan to hatch?

XOX Monika

#14 2016-01-05 12:24:58

poplar girl
Administrator

For my own birds I use pair breeding only. Later in the year if I share any hatching eggs I sometimes put together small groups.

This year I have 4 red cuckoo males I will use for breeding. I will try to hatch a total of about 80 chicks or so this year, if things go really well I have hatched over 100. Will plan to keep 2-3 males for myself and about 8-10 females. Of those I will only keep 2-3 at most from a single pair mating so will keep the best offspring from at least 4-5 different pairs. If it's an amazing year (one can always hope!) I will make room to keep a few more.

#15 2016-01-05 14:00:05

gubi
Website

and here I am in Ontario just starting to settle in for winter!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#16 2016-01-26 02:56:28

poplar girl
Administrator

So so far things are not going as planned (really do they ever?). Set 14 eggs 10 days ago. 10 from one pair, 4 from another. Only one egg developing worst possible case!  I have a d'uccle that seems broody so my hope is to give her the egg.

Will know later this week how fertility on the next 2 sets of eggs are. Fingers crossed!

#17 2016-01-26 18:03:45

Island Girl

I paired up my 2 boys yesterday :whistle:

XOX Monika

#18 2016-01-26 21:19:11

Flat Rock Farm

Oh PG that is not good!!  Fingers XX for the next batch =D

#19 2016-01-26 22:51:45

Island Girl

I have been watching my cockerels since you posted this pg and I believe that these young cockerels will get better with experience, they don't seem to mount too long :shock: I am with FRF and I really hope that your next hatch will be more fertile.

XOX Monika

#20 2016-01-27 13:44:48

poplar girl
Administrator

Andre is a BIG gentle giant and so I'm not sure if he will, or won't get things figured out. Never have I had a cockerel not be fertile and I haven't seen any action so maybe he just needs some time...I sure hope so!

Good news on the 2nd set of eggs...13 of 15 look to be fertile. This is from two different males, one of which is Andre's papa. It's early yet (5.5 days) but I have an awesome Brinsea candler so pretty sure!

I will set another batch of Andre's eggs in a day or two.

Adverts

Board footer