Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-12-05 21:04:32

Shnookie

Selling EO eggs for eating

My neighbor asked if I would sell my extra eggs to her.  My EO eggs are usually quite a bit bigger than the "extra large" eggs they sell at the stores.  They don't fit well in the cartons I have - the lid won't shut.  This isn't a problem for me. I just put them in the fridge with the lid partially closed.  I was wondering what everyone else does for cartons when they sell big eggs.  Also, I was thinking that I should charge more for my "jumbo" EO eggs.  Locally most ads I have seen for selling eggs are asking $3.50 a dozen.  Any suggestions?

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

2015-12-05 21:04:32

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-12-05 23:38:34

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Selling EO eggs for eating

My older hen EO eggs still fit in a carton although just barely so no advice there.

I sell for $4.00 a dozen and have no trouble finding customers. I do try to keep the yolks nice and dark even in the winter by feeding alfalfa hay and pumpkins.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2015-12-12 17:04:21

Shnookie

Thanks poplar girl.  I found a different brand of carton for extra large eggs which fits them.

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#4 2015-12-12 17:33:36

Flat Rock Farm

I get $3.00/dozen here for them.  Can't seem to get much more for them as most in my area sell for the same.

#5 2015-12-13 13:43:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Shnookie I'm not sure how close you are to the Regina but that might help with your price point. It seems in general rural people think farm raised products should be cheaper than store bought. City folks or even town folks are more often willing to pay more as they understand that home grown products are often more nutritious and healthy.  At least around here that's how it works.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2015-12-13 22:05:16

Shnookie

I sold 18 eggs yesterday for $6.00.  All but about 6 were the jumbo EO eggs.  My neighbor didn't say anything about the price.  I will have to see if she wants to buy from me again.  She had been driving quite a distance to buy farm eggs before.  Since she is only 5 minutes from me, and drives past on her way home, it will cost her less, even if I am charging her more for the eggs.  It is convenient for her too.  She also ordered eggs from someone with an ad on the internet.  I don't know where they live.  She will be paying $3.50 per dozen for 10 dozen brought to Regina from the farm.  I don't know what size they will be, but they are from red hens apparently.

#7 2015-12-19 03:54:46

Maggiesdad

Here in VA I sell all my extras for $4/doz... I guess that means my price isn't high enough.

Everyone that gets them say they are better than any other eggs they have had.

#8 2015-12-19 10:10:49

hollowridge

I am scared to say our price.  We get 2.50 a dozen here.  Selling to family and friends.  Our eggs range now from high medium size to jumbo, usually from large to jumbo.  We will be upping the price to 3.00 when we start building a new coop.

#9 2016-02-06 19:38:28

Shnookie

Well, I have sold several dozen eggs (EO and Ameraucana) to my neighbor for $4.00 per dozen.  Last time I bought extra large eggs I thought they seemed small compared to the ones from my chickens.  I went to the Canadian Egg Farmers website to see how they size eggs. I started to weigh my eggs and compare them to the weights used to grade commercial eggs.  I found that my eggs would be labelled as a larger size than I had been thinking, based on their weights.  I also looked at Jumbo eggs in the store, and was surprised to see that they were priced lower than the extra large eggs.  There were also eggs advertised as "Vitamin D" eggs.  I didn't notice how much they were charging for these.  Does this mean that people who let their chickens out in the sun can call their eggs "Vitamin D" eggs?  Mine are getting vitamins in their feed and water.  Maybe I should call them Vitamin D eggs.  They sure are using a lot of gimmicks to sell eggs these days.

#10 2016-02-07 13:21:16

poplar girl
Administrator

People will claim just about anything they can to help food sell in today's world it seems. Not too long ago I saw a bottle of water that had a "gluten free" claim on it!

Not sure what makes Vitamin D eggs. Since I haven't shopped for eggs in more than 6 years I don't look that often.

Adverts

Board footer