Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-11-23 23:13:06

Flat Rock Farm

This Year's Keepers

Well after hatching more cockerels than pullets this is what I kept back from this year.  Re-homed 4 non-breeding quality pullets but the rest I kept and acquired 3 from gubi.

This is the cockerel I hatched from Briarwood at the front and behind him is the I kept from rooster "K".
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_2087%201280x960_zpskh543npg.jpg http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_2090%20800x600_zpsqo2cq3jv.jpg

Some of the girls:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_2092%20800x600_zpsmhnceksw.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_2095%20800x600_zpswprv3jzw.jpg

Rooster `K``s son: he is thee weeks younger than Briarwood`s fella.  He very lanky but am hoping he will fill ou.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_2094%20800x600_zpsf4e3fqiu.jpg

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2015-11-23 23:24:14)

2015-11-23 23:13:06

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-11-24 12:14:37

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: This Year's Keepers

A nice looking group there FRF...nice feather color, yellow legs.
It will be interesting to see the boys when they get a little older to see what kind of widths they put on.

I really need to share some pictures as well, there's never enough time for everything it seems!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2015-11-24 15:26:57

gubi
Website

:thumbsup:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2015-11-24 22:15:39

Flat Rock Farm

poplar girl wrote:

A nice looking group there FRF...nice feather color, yellow legs.
It will be interesting to see the boys when they get a little older to see what kind of widths they put on.

I really need to share some pictures as well, there's never enough time for everything it seems!

Thanks PG, I was very picky what I kept this year.  Do not want any repeats of two years ago. 

The two boys are very different in build.  My 'K' cockerel is taller and lanky compared to Briarwood boy who is shorter and broader.  Both I think so far have good feather colour and their combs even with right amount of points are so different in size for only 3 weeks apart.

Would love to see some of your pictures but understand, there never seems like enough hours in the day :(

#5 2015-11-25 12:02:31

hollowridge

Yes PG would love to see some pictures.
FRF you birds are lovely and they let you take pictures.  Your Girls and guys are much darker in colour than mine.  Fighting here with the yellow legs, and right feathers.  Took a few shots a few weeks ago.
So the darker girl between my feet is the colour I should try for?
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_4303%202edit%20800x533_zps8vvc6dbd.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_4298%202edit%20800x534_zpsa52tzgb3.jpg
I love the clolor on her but she may be too light?  I know her legs are not strong yellow just pigment of yellow, hoping LS will help with this.  But then I look again and realize that this girl has side sprigs and I can't breed her. :stomp: 
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_4306%202edit%20800x533_zpsxypnulu6.jpg

#6 2015-11-25 17:04:03

Maggiesdad

Loving these pics! :applause:
I will try to post up over the Holiday with some of mine...

#7 2015-11-25 19:52:29

Flat Rock Farm

Thank you HR & Maggiesdad!! 

HR I would say yes to the colour of the four girls at your feet.  The others are what we call "Blondies" and you can still get some decent offspring from them by pairing with the right rooster.  I know Claire (Skeffling) bred her Blondie girl over the years and she got some decent offspring from what I can remember, she did get however some very light roosters out of breeding her too.

Too bad the girl in your last picture has springs, I like her!

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2015-11-25 19:53:48)

#8 2015-11-25 21:50:31

gubi
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Too bad the girl in your last picture has springs, I like her!

me too!  She would tempt me to keep even with the sprigs. 

Both of you have very nice basques.  Hollowridge where did yours come from?  I see a lot of similarities to mine, especially in the tails. 

This pullet likes to jump the fence and lay her eggs outside the door and wait for me to let her back into the pen!  She reminds me of the one pullet I ended up selling to Micah and Kiah  a few years ago that used to do the same thing but lay her egg behind a sheet of plywood and then come look for me to let her back into the pen!
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/12307315_1761856340708295_3146942215073873660_o.jpg

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2015-11-26 12:27:04

poplar girl
Administrator

I have to ask Gubi, how do you see similarities to your EOs, specifically with the tail? I would say it's good if we are seeing similarities between flocks across North America though. We of course need them to have the proper EO traits but also to all look similar between regions.

Hollow Riddge, right or wrong, I will breed a nice bird with a side sprig. Pair her with a roo that has a nice clean comb and be prepared to do some culling but I certainly would try her.

As for the color, I found this year with eggs from FRF with bloodlines from Gubi and other Ontario folks in the mix (than you again FRF :happycrowd") that the dark color they are getting is correct or maybe even a step passed what I sort of think is correct. its a tough and fun challenge to get the correct color. I am trying for a dark red gold. They grey makes them darker but not in the right way. To me, if you look at the bird to the far left of the photo of birds lined up between HR's feet, I like the reddish gold tone she has, maybe if it was a little darker. The 3rd girl in I also like her color.

I am finding to get the darker reddish or mahogany color on the roosters that is the type of color you need in the hens. The blond females equivalent in a rooster with lack the true red gold on the back and saddle feathers and mahogany in the wings...

Making myself late for work...more later

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2015-11-26 14:22:25

gubi
Website

The tail feathers on a lot of my pullets and I see a few in Hollow Ridges pictures too.  Look at the overhead shot.  You see 5 tails.  The one that I think has a decent tail is the nicest colored one between the legs.  the other 4 to me look like their feathers are almost like a turkey 's tail.  Not sure how to describe it correctly but those hens will have very small tails and all the feathers line up on top of each other unless you pick them up and tip them down then their tail feathers will make a nice fan like a turkey tom.  The pullet I have pictured here to me has a nice tail. 
This old hen has the turkey tail too.  It's not as noticeable in this picture
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/12045726_1752741784953084_1532574646172502930_o.jpg

Last edited by gubi (2015-11-26 14:23:22)

#11 2015-11-26 20:44:29

hollowridge

Okay let see if I get some of this strait -

Breed the Blondies with the right rooster and should get some good looking girls (what traits I only have too roo's)

Chance breeding a side sprig with a clean cone roo, now question is if he carries the gene do you get 100% side sprigs or some % less?  And one of the girls not sure if she is the one in the picture lays well, lots and good size eggs, she is a good size girl but has a side sprig and a feather stub between one of her toes????  Breed her or Not?

Gubi we got our first E.O eggs from Riverbend in 2013.  He stated that his birds came from Hackmatack Ridge Farms which I think came from Skeffling Farms or is that farm. In 2013 he also got eggs shipped from Flat Rock Farm, we got our Rooster "Rico" from those shipped eggs.  So 2014 eggs were a combo of those. 2015 we got eggs again and he got another line from a guy in the valley who said that his came from Greenfire (think that is the name in the U.S.) but he had a rooster from Quebec. SO AS US NOVA SCOTIAN'S WOULD SAY OUR BIRDS ARE A " HODGE PODGE"

I will say our birds are not right yet but they are much healthier than when we started in 2013 they were very week, unhealthy.

Have been thinking about getting some shipped eggs next year, unless someone wants to come to the east coast.  :whistle:  We are looking at buying an incubator as our Christmas Present and the Easter Bunny is going to bring us a new 4 room coop!!!  :Crazy:   Only if we are good.  :shock:

#12 2015-11-26 20:47:02

hollowridge

Gubi,

Your girls are such a nice size :love:  ours look so much smaller.

#13 2015-11-27 12:39:17

poplar girl
Administrator

Ok, see what you mean Gubi. I will have to check tails now, I don't recall seeing that in mine but perhaps some do have tails like that. Definitely not what we are looking for although I don't know the correct term for it either.

Hollowridge, I have some experience breeding side sprigs and feather stubs in EOs. I hav definitely been looking at the whole package when selecting breeding birds so have kept and bred birds with just about every bad trait if they were good otherwise.

Feather stubs are pretty simple as far as I can tell. If both parent have them ALL the babies will to. If one parent has them them generally you won't see them in the babies unless your other parent is a carrier for the trait. I bred quite a few birds with feather stubs a few years ago and it hasn't come back to cause me trouble so far. I find them easiest to spot when the chicks are just hatched.

Side sprigs are a bit more complicated. I would say the same rules as for feather stubs apply but side sprigs are a bit sneakier and can pop up more easily. And you can't see them until the birds comb developes.

That said, in my opinion, we don't eat combs and feather stubs so I would choose to keep and breed a bird with those traits if they were nice otherwise, which it looks to me like your pullet is. You can't keep breeding birds with the same flaws over and over mind you or all your birds start to end up with the same problems...

Adverts

Board footer