Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-10-20 11:04:49

poplar girl
Administrator

No more Red (Gorria) Cockerels or Roosters

As of a few weeks ago I made the decision not to retain any gorria cockerels or roosters. There are still some gorria hens in my flock and a few new gorria pullets went into a friends flock that I have access to at any time. So effectively I am no longer breeding the red Basque Hen though with the girls within 2 generations they could be recreated.

I kept 1 red cuckoo rooster and 3 cockerels. I also kept 11 red cuckoo pullets and have about 8 hens I would consider breeding quality. So still a sizeable breeding flock of that variety. For those who recall the post, I did keep the big cockerel with split wing and I wish you could see him, he is a beautiful bird. Even his crow is big and deep presumably because his body is so large! So we shall see if I can get some nice offspring from him.

It was a tough decision to not keep any gorria males but I still feel like it was the right decision foe my flock. Hopefully by concentrating on one variety I can make progress more quickly!

Has everyone else selected their winter flock?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2015-10-20 11:04:49

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-10-20 12:55:22

gubi
Website

Re: No more Red (Gorria) Cockerels or Roosters

I'm down to 2 roosters and 3 cockerels but will likely cull down to 3 over winter.  I have 12 pullets and 3 hens that I am keeping back as potential breeders for next year.  I'm happy with the pullets I was able to raise this year but not with the cockerels.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2015-10-21 00:35:48

poplar girl
Administrator

I am also happier with this year's pullets Gubi. I kept back two cockerels from the eggs from Flat Rock Farm which I know are partially your breeding.  They are small but I am hoping it is just their age. Nice color on them though!

Won't be long before I'm picking breeding birds as I will like start in January!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2015-10-21 11:02:10

hollowridge

As in past post we have our old faithful Rico, who doesn't have the colour but has the temperament, and as far as we can tell is throwing the yellow leg gene.  :love:

Then we have "Little Shit", LS for short or being nice.  He is still hanging on to his neck so far.  Hubby has even let up on the chop, chop end.  He still ISN'T, trust worthy, and may be a little on the small side yet but his colour is the best that we have had so if I can hold on to him till March we will breed him with the older girls.  Hoping to get some nice colours from him.  We have only 4 prime hens to breed and a few that have the flecks which will see what we do there. 

Had a better batch of pullets this year more uniform in colour but lots turned out with a side sprig and one that is oh so perfect has a feather stub between her toe. :stomp:  Never had any issues with either of these till this year. :huh:

#5 2015-10-21 19:32:52

Flat Rock Farm

I am sorry to hear PG that you are not continuing with the Gorria, they really are more rare than the Marraduna.  I am not sure even the US has any yet??  You have to do what is right for you and as you said you could re-create them back in a couple generations if you want :thumbs:

I have kept most of my pullets I hatched (which was not many), re-home about 4 hens not worthy of breeding that I hatched from another source.  I am still contemplating re-homing one more as her legs are staying greenish and she has a few spots.  I hatched lots of beautiful cockerels (too many), tried re-homing some as they were too nice for the freezer but that's were most went and I kept 2 back.  I am going to set up a third breeding group next year and switching out one of my older roosters for a younger fellow with better feather colour.

#6 2015-10-21 23:59:02

Maggiesdad

It's hard enough to do one variety justice, don't feel bad about it PG. With Hamps and Reds and Buckeyes already established, it would be hard to carve out a niche for another red chicken...

#7 2015-10-22 01:00:16

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

It's hard enough to do one variety justice, don't feel bad about it PG. With Hamps and Reds and Buckeyes already established, it would be hard to carve out a niche for another red chicken...

That's what I was finding MG...at the few shows I took them to the judges just weren't impressed as the colouring is so similar to a New Hampshire. The maradunna on the other hand caught their eye and their interest.

It was still a tough decision though.

Adverts

Board footer