Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-09-12 04:24:37

LNSS

The Correct Temperature is Very Important

Today we did the start of harvesting for the year.
I setup all the equipment last night and prepped the equipment , added soap & soda to the scalder, all ready for the day ahead.
The Birds are always fed and such as a normal day & giving the treats as they would normally (greens & beer yeast , they love it when there 18-20wks) .

So we start , the first eight birds are needing manual plucking after the plucker has not removed them all & maybe 40-50 % still intact.
Be break for lunch , this is start to fridge for rigger. At lunch I know I have not had this problem before , I measure the water temp 140F  rater than 165F , thermostat has gone goofy . Open & repair gas thermostat , back up to 168F and the next bunch are plucked clean in no time .
I was just off 25*f & what a difference ..

Just info for

lnss

2015-09-12 04:24:37

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-09-12 12:36:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: The Correct Temperature is Very Important

Glad you were able to determine the problem and solve it. I have a lot of respect for those who do their own processing. I just can't seem to bring myself or my husband around to doing it!

We will opt for a 2:30am start to our morning on Sept 23 instead to load and deliver our turkeys and chickens to the nearest processor. The one closest to us closed last March :(

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer