Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-07-25 12:46:40

poplar girl
Administrator

Wing Problems

So this year it seems that my worst problem with the basques is related to their wings. The daddy of most of this year's chicks is Foxy and he has produced some nice offspring. With one hen no wing issues in any of the chicks. With a different hen a fairly high percentage of the offspring have a wing issue. With the third hen only of the offspring has a wing problem and he happens to be a cockerel that I think is otherwise fantastic.

I have not taken a picture with the wing unfolded as its a two persons job and I didn't have a wingman to assist me (:funny: right?!?).

So here is my boy, he is larger than anyone else he hatched with and there are some really good sized cockerels in this pen. He is the only cockerel from this pair mating and his sisters are nice looking pullets with no wing problems. His color is a bit light but no grey. Nice comb and wattles. Nice yellow legs. AND nice temperment. And then there are his wings :(

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/955D42C7-59B5-49FB-B5D1-B2827FDBD4E4.jpg

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/B3C607E3-02A2-4507-97AE-2ED057374D51.jpg

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/E9C3EF00-EAA8-4B60-9E95-FDAB80C38F4B.png

I believe this is split wing which I think is recessive. It is a general disqualification in a show. Despite that I am tempted to keep him and try breeding him. What would you guys do?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2015-07-25 12:46:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-07-25 16:30:11

Island Girl

Re: Wing Problems

Great pictures pg!! I have questions (of course). I love his legs and beak and I believe that is the correct eye color? The fact that he has a good temperament in my opinion is so very important, so a huge +. It appears that he has a wide leg stance so probably not knock kneed? He looks like he is wide across the back and the angle of his back looks correct as well as the angle of his tail. I don't think that he is too light of a color though, where do you think his feather coloring is too light. ohoh but those wings :shock: I know little to nothing about how easy that would be to get rid of in future generations. If he had no other faults I would keep him and do a lot of research before culling other potentials. Be sure to check his breastbone and keel, I will post a picture of the boy that had this ... well his breastbone anyway ... as thats all that is left of him now. I have a question about his comb, I count 5 points with a possible 6th on the front end, is that OK in the EO comb worldÉ

All in all a very nice boy!

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2015-07-25 16:31:35)

#3 2015-07-26 12:55:11

poplar girl
Administrator

I think he has 6 comb point but even it it were 5 I would be okay with that, as long as he has no side sprigs and his comb doesn't flop over I'm ok.

For color I would like to see the darker red gold on his wings which he lacks. His body colour I think is not bad but could be a bit darker red-gold as well.

Yes I know...those wings. It's possible if I use him for breeding I will have a whole lot of wing problems. If it's recessive like I suspect I will also have that problem hiding in some of the offspring and showing up for years to come.

Our closest processor shut down and I hate to do the deed myself so everyone will be waiting until September so I still have time to decide.

Plus in another pen I found a nice big cockerel (who had a side sprig so was not a keeper) dead on his back last night. I can't figure out if he died of a heart attack or if some preditor got him but no obvious marks :huh: So my point here is I also need to see who makes it to fall!!

What does everyone think? Am I going to creat a disaster if I keep him and breed him to a few select hens?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2015-07-26 12:57:49

poplar girl
Administrator

The other boys in with him are also Big, just not quite as big. And their color is not quite as nice. Legs are nice yellow, nice combs. And they are going to be mean. But no wing problems...

#5 2015-07-27 11:16:33

poplar girl
Administrator

So I'm going to take the absence of comments as a HECK no :shock: you guys wouldn't try breeding this guy

#6 2015-07-27 12:58:30

gubi
Website

or just that's one problem we haven't encountered yet. lol  Let us know what the correct thing to do is when you do find out so we know in the future.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2015-07-27 15:52:35

Island Girl

pg I wouldn't breed him. No science behind that at all, just a feeling. To me a wing issue 'feels' more like a crooked keel issue vs a color of legs issue. No science at all like I said orrrrrr like gubi said it would be a great test to see what happens. For me though I would concentrate on what I know should throw good chicks.

XOX Monika

#8 2015-07-29 00:23:25

Maggiesdad

+1 gubi

lol :P

#9 2015-07-30 00:21:05

poplar girl
Administrator

I will most certainly share my results if I decide to keep him.

If it's anything like my crooked toe test where I tried breeding a hen with a bent toe and got 95% crooked toed offspring its a Good think I like to eat chicken as I have a feeling if I keep him I'll have a lot of it!

I suspect I should cull him but I'll hold off on any decisions until later on.

#10 2015-07-30 07:04:33

debbiej

poplar girl wrote:

I will most certainly share my results if I decide to keep him.

If it's anything like my crooked toe test where I tried breeding a hen with a bent toe and got 95% crooked toed offspring its a Good think I like to eat chicken as I have a feeling if I keep him I'll have a lot of it!

I suspect I should cull him but I'll hold off on any decisions until later on.

Interesting data on the crooked toes. I've had discussions on this lately. I think it's genetic. A friend thinks it's environmental. Your finding point to genetic.

I wouldn't breed that rooster, you could unleash a demon.  Or have lots of chicken curry

Adverts

Board footer