Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-07-05 11:53:08

Flat Rock Farm

Last Hatch of the season

Well just finishing my last hatch of the season.  Looks like the end total will be 8 EO's and 7 Bantam Chocolate Cuckoo Orpingtons (thanks Briarwood).   

This is what I have hatched to date:

- First hatch was 2 pullets from Nasty Boy (on e died). 
- Second hatch of EO's (other source) I would say 6 cockerels and 4 pullets (only one cockerel looks to have potential, and only one pullet has yellow legs) :(
- Third hatch of my EO's looks to be 90% boys only 2 or 3 pullets :duh:.  Got some potential boys in there, they really look good.
- Fourth (final) hatch keeping fingers XX for some pullets :please:

Pictures to follow..............

So how has everyone else's hatching been going???? =D

2015-07-05 11:53:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-07-05 12:13:07

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Last Hatch of the season

Definitely fingers crossed you get some nice pullets from your last hatch FRF!!

I still haven't counted how many Basques I hatched this year :chairhide: but I am definitely done hatching! I think around 70 total. One of my favourite older cockerels has a funny looking wing on one side I noticed a couple days ago so I need to check that out. Quite a few of the older (almost point of lay) pullets have good potential as keepers, I have space for about 10-12 new pullets I'm thinking. Another 15 or so pullets I have homes for without trying so that's excellent!

The last eggs I hatched were the ones you sent Paula. I can see the difference between your two breeding pens. I had a lower hatch rate with one to start and the 6 I ended up with (3 cockerels and 3 pullets) are noticeably smaller than the rest. Their color is okay, just smaller. The other group there are about 16. Two or three cockerels I really like the look of, decent color and combs and nice and big. The pullets  for the most part have a lot of grey in them but some have nice size. It's interesting how dark a red they are as well, I can see Gubi and perhaps others have definitely been selecting for a darker red color. Also most have nice pure yellow beaks with no black, I have had lots of black pigment creeping in on some of mine. Some white legs or greenish legs but also quite a few with nice bright yellow legs.

With the look of some of these I am already excited about who to put together for breeding and hatching next year =D

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2015-07-05 16:00:05

gubi
Website

good luck with your last hatch!

Hatching went good this year with lots of chicks.  unfortunately in the first 3 batches we put all but 1 cockerel in the freezer and I most likely will him too.  I had many again in the early hatches that ended up with twisted toes.  mostly cockerels but there was one pullet too.  All of them so far had had good yellow legs and the pullets look nice so far.  One other problem I'm seeing in mine is the tail feathers grow in horizontal and not vertical on a lot of mine. I will have to get some new genetics with strong tails to cross into mine.  And I haven't counted up how many I hatched either. 

The last batch included 6 PBB which are turning into 2 nice trios!  i also have many blue wheaten EE's that are going to be very nice looking. I crossed splash blue wheaten cockerels from Micah onto my Easter egger hens.  I even got a very neat looking splash Orp x wheaten Am cross cockerel, I guess the blue orpington's egg looks similar to the EO eggs lol!  I also hatched a few Welsummers and 2 silkies.  Both breeds I'm thinking of just keeping the pullets but I am having a hard time of letting go of my Welsummers and have spared the nicest cockerel from the early hatches from the freezer so far!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2015-07-05 19:10:00

Flat Rock Farm

Wow sounds like you both have been busy hatching.  Odd PG on the difference between the two breeding pens from me.  The rooster 'S' is much larger than 'K' but 'K' is in with about half of my older girls.  I am think "S" may have to go to a a better contender from this year hatches.  Although he has a very nice temperament which is a plus around here, so will be a hard decision.

Final count is 8 EO's (8 made it to lock down).  8 Bantam Choc. cuckoo orps. (9 made it to lockdown)  1 needed assistance as it was sideways at the small end.  It was pepping but could not get through the shell,  the 9th one was in the same position but not moving so when I cracked it you could tell it had drowned in it's own fluid. :(.   Still holding my breath on the assisted 8th one.

#5 2015-07-06 02:01:23

Island Girl

It has been an odd year for hatching starting with my rooster's untimely death. I have about 60ish young birds out there from him. My plan was to be done hatching but I went into full blown panic when the boys started showing crooked toes and the most awful combs. The feather color is very light and lots of light colored legs. Thanks to my pleading .. Micah, Briarwood and FRF all came to the rescue. I put 24 eggs into the incubator yesterday from FRF and 15 from Briarwood :cheer: Micah's eggs are somewhere in BC :( Her EOs blessed me with 3 dozen hatching eggs. IF Richmond finds and ships them to me tomorrow there is still a good chance I will be able to get a hatch from them, assuming they are not sitting in an un-airconditioned building (I had it all worked out to receive the eggs and incubate them all together, but didn't count on poor service from Canada Post.) I also hatched out 8 little PBBs and was hoping to have added to that but my hen wouldn't get back on her eggs after I attempted to secure her hatching sight for her. Newby mistake for her and I!!

XOX Monika

#6 2015-07-07 02:57:41

Maggiesdad

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

So how has everyone else's hatching been going???? =D

I'll try to post up soon.  Got our first tomato last Friday. Crazy busy around here. Corn and blackberries are coming on strong now...

#7 2015-07-07 11:19:48

Flat Rock Farm

Tomatoes already!  Won't have any here until at least August.  Did get my first picking of Swiss Chard for super on Sunday, mmmmmm!

#8 2015-07-07 17:16:30

Flat Rock Farm

Pictures of my final hatch.  8 EO's from rooster 'K', very big robust chicks and 8 Bantam Chocolate Cuckoo Orp's.  The one I assisted is still hanging in but not sure it will make it in the long run??
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_1946%201280x960_zpsb1kjemte.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_1947%201280x960_zpstz1sgj5c.jpg

These are from my third hatch, mostly all boys :duh:.  Fellow up from has a wonky comb, won't be keeping him.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_1949%201280x960_zpswezrjdiu.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_1951%201280x960_zpssu9v21z6.jpg

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2015-07-07 17:23:20)

#9 2015-07-08 00:27:35

poplar girl
Administrator

The "K" cockerel chicks I hatched were also big healthy chicks and they have grown into nice sized healthy juveniles :thumbs:

The color looks nice on several of the cockerelsfrom the first hatch.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2015-07-08 02:05:24

Flat Rock Farm

Thanks PG, I am going to keep one cockerel out of this group and one from Briarwoods hatch. :thumbsup:  The rest will be going to freezer camp unless I get interest for a couple of them.

#11 2015-07-08 04:16:51

Island Girl

:shock: :love:  :shock: seriously frf did you photoshop the color of those beaks and legs??? I am in awe of the yellowness. They look floursecent in the pictures. If I had yellow legs like that I would be so thrilled ...  and MD before you say something I do mean my chickens not actually me.  ;) Oh I hope that my eggs from you will produce legs and beaks like that!

XOX Monika

#12 2015-07-08 10:40:37

hollowridge

:love: Nice looking chicks for sure :thumbs:

#13 2015-07-08 11:02:48

Flat Rock Farm

Island Girl wrote:

:shock: :love:  :shock: seriously frf did you photoshop the color of those beaks and legs??? I am in awe of the yellowness. They look floursecent in the pictures. If I had yellow legs like that I would be so thrilled ...  and MD before you say something I do mean my chickens not actually me.  ;) Oh I hope that my eggs from you will produce legs and beaks like that!

XOX Monika

LOl yes if you had those yellow of legs you would be jaundice for sure!!!  She beat you to it MD :funny:

Yes they are that yellow and they were hatched from my birds, no photoshop,   PG hatched some from me, I am not sure if her chicks have similar leg colour.  So far I am pleased with this years results over last year.  Last year I was ready to throw in the towel.  My one rooster I think is throwing better offspring than the other, so I think one of this years cockerel will be taking the others place.  I have so many cockerels and can't possible house them until next Spring to wait until they mature before picking one.  I will pick me best 2, one from Briarwood and one from mine,

#14 2015-07-08 11:03:57

Flat Rock Farm

hollowridge wrote:

:love: Nice looking chicks for sure :thumbs:

Thanks HR!! =D

#15 2015-07-08 16:00:15

Shnookie

I noticed the bright yellow beaks and legs too.  Looking good!  :thumbs:

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#16 2015-07-08 16:21:39

Island Girl

Of course we don't know what those boys other qualities are but that picture should go into the NABHA gallery of what chicks should look like for leg and beak color. Did I get eggs from the male throwing those chicks?

XOX Monika

#17 2015-07-08 17:40:59

Flat Rock Farm

Island Girl wrote:

Of course we don't know what those boys other qualities are but that picture should go into the NABHA gallery of what chicks should look like for leg and beak color. Did I get eggs from the male throwing those chicks?

XOX Monika

Yes you did :thumbs:  Mostly all from that pen.

#18 2015-07-08 17:57:46

gubi
Website

Not just the leg and beak color is great but also the feather color on this batch looks very promising!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#19 2015-07-25 12:08:21

Flat Rock Farm

Well the final hatch looks like I have 4 cockerels and 4 pullets :(  Of the pullets I do have this year I only have a couple keepers, man it's been the year for cockerels................... :stomp:

#20 2015-07-25 12:48:53

poplar girl
Administrator

Well if you can keep back one stunning cockerel and breed him with some of last year's hens you might get some amazing offspring FRF :thumbs: because we keep so few rooster their quality is very important....

#21 2015-07-25 13:20:48

gubi
Website

maybe we should trade?  I see loads of nice pullets but only identified 1 cockerel that I like.  But I haven't looked at my pullets as closely as my cockerels yet either.

#22 2015-07-25 21:39:17

Flat Rock Farm

For sure gubi, if you need a cockerel or two let me know before Aug. 7th after that then go to Lynn's for the freezer.

Adverts

Board footer