Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-07-22 05:47:08

Island Girl

The cockerels are beginning to crow ...

so freezer camp sign up begins :P I have had my cockerels separated into 'possible keepers' and 'the ugly ones'. So far we have had 8 sign up and accepted by  Camp Kenmore :shock: The smallest boy was 1.9 kgs (4lbs 3ozs) the largest was 2.75 kgs (6lbs 1oz). These boys are 17 weeks old. The rule here is .... You crow, you go! I do prefer that they wait to crow until they have a bit of weight on them before butchering but unfortunately there is no guarantee on that. The butchering process gets more fine tuned every year and therefor easier. I still have 19 more to go, well 18 if I keep one to breed next year. I am hoping that the eggs going into lockdown tomorrow and then some others on Saturday will have a stunning 'keeper' for me. So onward we go ...

XOX Monika

2015-07-22 05:47:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-07-22 11:20:51

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: The cockerels are beginning to crow ...

I have a lot of rowing going on here. We don't generally do our own butchering so I am trying to wait and talke all the culls in at the same time. Some are going to be big boys by then!

I would think even if he is not perfect you should keep on cockerel back from the hatch of your own eggs. Genetic diversity and all that.

Here seems to be year of the wing problem. My favorite cockerel who is huge, nice comb, nice feather and leg color seems to have a split wing on one side.  I am currently struggling with what that means...Camp Kenmore or Camp Live To Die Another Day.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2015-07-22 16:58:21

Island Girl

Oh yes pg I will try to keep one back maybe even 2 from my boys. Its so weird to me that this year the girls are actually quite a nice bunch yet the boys not so much. If I get one or two really nice lookers from the three other sources though I simply can't keep that many roos over the winter. I'm not sure what I will do then. I was wondering if you would consider taking a close up of that split wing and posting it here. I love big close up pictures to help 'see' these sorts of flaws!

XOX Monika

#4 2015-07-23 00:00:29

poplar girl
Administrator

Do you keep your roosters together in a bachelor pen over winter or keep each boy away from the others? I know some people keep roosters penned together but here I keep them seperate.

I will try to get a picture of the split wing this weekend Monika. A pic froma distance showing it is easy but I will need help to get one of the wing unfolded.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2015-07-23 03:23:33

Island Girl

I usually keep each roo in a pen with a bunch of girls. My chicken coop can be used as one large coop or 3 individual coops separated by indoor and outdoor run doors. I could technically keep 3 roosters, one per coop. I have never kept adult roosters together over the winter in a coop of their own but it is food for thought if I decided to keep more than three, hmmm  do I want more than three? I am looking forward to the pictures.

XOX Monika

#6 2015-07-23 10:56:48

hollowridge

Camp Kenmore, I was like, :huh: and then the lights came on and I was :funny:.

We have a fellow that we kept, now 22 weeks, he is in Camp Live to Die another day. He didn't stand out in the crowd of 18 we had, best for colour and yellow legs, nice comb etc.  Then when he was alone with his girls he has come at me a few times, I seem to have that under control now, I picked him up and showed him who was boss.  But he goes at hubby, and you can't touch one of the girls with out him coming over and giving you a nasty bite on the hand.  He won't take food from your hand either, he walks away.  AND HE SEEMS SO SMALL for that age and his TAIL FEATERS are not coming in yet.  I was wondering if I am too soon with this and let him grow, or if he should be bigger?  If he is a runt and not friendly he will be gone before winter.

Island girl, we have a set up like yours only thing we divide ours only in 2 but it is a wire .  Our runs are side by side and our oldest rooster keeps going at the wire, every time the young one crows etc.  Do yours do that?

#7 2015-07-23 17:14:04

Island Girl

I love this kind of discussion I always seem to learn something or at the very least pass on some good info to someone else!

hollowridge when I have had the roosters side by side as adults, or even a younger one beside an older one, especially if they have their own bunch of girls, then yes they go at each through the wire too. I guess they are only doing their jobs protecting their ladies and their own possible progeny from the 'other' guy. I sometimes think that I would like to raise the roos up together but then once you remove one for breeding purposes I am pretty sure that all heck would break out if you tried to reintroduce him back into the bachelor pad. I have a girlfriend who used to let any new boys free range along with the main rooster(s) on the entire property, survival of the fittest, and it always seemed to work. Even when they all came into the coop together at night, no one seemed to beat each other up, I don't know why that worked other than they did have a lot of space to stay away from each other. I think if I were to build my coop again I might think about going solid wood on the bottom 1/3 of any wire walls between coops or runs.

XOX Monika

A couple of old pictures just for the fun of it to show the indoor coop part =D The outdoor runs are built the same.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/newcoopporcelainduccleandTPC050_zpsfcb13d3f.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/newcoopporcelainduccleandTPC049_zps83ed4c40.jpg

Last edited by Island Girl (2015-07-23 17:26:48)

#8 2015-07-23 18:23:57

hollowridge

That is something like we did, we have a door, that is removable, and we also have a side section we take out for them when they are all together, cause some of them get lost and can't find the doors, especially when there is food involved :duh:, amazing how they get and keep trying to get through the wire. :shock:

We are in the planning stages for a new coop, just because we didn't do the old one with intentions of trying to do more.  He wants to do a building with 4 spaces and divide it off with a walkway in between big enough for a wheel barrel and food storage.  Then we would like to try and take their small covered runs out on all 4 sides so that their is no fighting.  Not sure if we can pull it off.  We have been brain storming for months now.  Know it won't happen this year, hope next but not sure.  Really want to go with the marraduna's and get them right and healthy.  We can't truly do it with our set up.  But I don't want to loose the nice coop either.  Then there is the"where do you put it, where do the runs go? how far away do we have to shovel" And the list goes on.  And you are right putting it solid on bottom would be better, but I am scared of the air flow in the summer.  I really hate seeing them go at it and then the cones bleeding.  :stomp:  Hubby wants to move and get a place with a big barn.  Then we would be all set :lol:

Oh and that roo in your picture, doesn't have black on his chest :love:.  We may just have to try and get hatching eggs through the mail. :whistle:

#9 2015-07-24 19:28:44

Flat Rock Farm

Too bad you were not closer HR, I have a few nice young cockerels with some good potential and no grey chests!! =D

#10 2015-07-25 05:16:12

Island Girl

hr I believe was the roo that I showed and did send out hatching eggs  a few years ago but he is no longer part of my flock. I have hatching eggs from a number of sources in the bator and have hatched out my own stock this spring but again not directly from that boy. Paula has some pictures here of her beauties and I am very excited about the eggs I have hatching from her. I hope to be sending out eggs next year :)

XOX Monika

#11 2015-07-25 10:38:58

hollowridge

:thanks: any of you up for :roadtrip:.  We have very pretty fall colours, and my gardens right now are looking wonderful!!! ;)

#12 2015-07-25 12:02:47

Flat Rock Farm

Too bad my Aunt just did a road trip to NLD back in June and went only through the eastern part of NS.  Don't think she would have wanted a chicken road companion though, LOL.   I do have a friend in Bathurst I have been wanting to visit.............. 

Wish there was a way as it will be too bad most will be going to "Camp Kenmore" as IG said.  All I can offer is some hatching eggs, if ever you want some :thumbs:

#13 2015-07-25 14:04:38

hollowridge

:thanks: Can always do a day :roadtrip:.  I am really thinking about hatching eggs this coming spring, especially if "Little Shit" goes to camp. :lol:

Adverts

Board footer